OT Double gun & ringnecks.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Double gun & ringnecks.

Post by Nath »

Usually on a frosty sunny Saturday morning I would be hunting fox at first light but due to chores I had to stay in :roll:
Come 10.30 am I was going nuts so grabbed the W H Monk and a belt full 1 1/8oz English 5s nitro cartridges and headed up the farm here at home.
My first shot was at crows I jumped but rushed the shot and missed just plucking a feather on my bird at less than 20yds.
I spied some pheasants a short walk later, they were looking for beech nuts. Shot number 2 was a hen going away at about 27yds, when Tia retrieved it I had to dispatch the bird.
Number 3 was a good cock bird. I stopped Tia and I walked on some, past some cover etc. I then signaled Tia to my left into the cover, soon a cock bird flew to my left real fast on the breese. I swung that light Monk through and down he come with a good tumble. I thought it was dead untill the dog got on it and it started running around! Tia managed to hold it and I assisted her with it. I shot this feller at over 30yds quartering away. Two not killed out right!

As with the other two shots the third was with the right barrel at 1/4 choke, a hen Tia put up in some tall clover, again not killed but at over 30yds.

Now I felt all I needed was another cock bird to go with this hen and shortly after Tia pops one out of a hedge in front of me. It rose fast and high on the light wind but this time this bird fell stone dead at what I would say was 30yds.

At that I called it quits, plenty of good eating again. The Lord has provided yet again and in such a pleasurable way :)

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Double gun & ringnecks.

Post by Nath »

Another pic.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sweet :mrgreen:

So that’s what pheasant look like, almost forgot.
They are very few and far between around these
parts anymore. About all we have is the once a
year stocked birds the game commission puts out.
They are dumber than a doorknob and cant fly.
Cars and fox get most of those. :roll:
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

sure is fun to hunt behind a good dog! That one bird has some perty decent spurs..nice going!

do hens taste like roosters?

we can only shoot roosters in the upper mid-west

^
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They shore do Rafters :D

Where abouts are you Casa?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath,

Always wonderful to hear and see your posts. Many of us living rather ricariously through you. Beautiful shotgun, and very nice double brace of birds. Tia is a fine looking hunting partner.

Casastahle lives about 10 mins from me, here in south central Pennsylvania. He is right. There was a time when Pa. had a thriving popluation of birds. No longer. We have replaced many of the farms with communities and choked our game on to over crowded state game lands. A few times during the season they release birds. This is not hunting and the huge crowds that come out make it sound like the beaches of Normandy. It also ruins the other hunting like archery and small game.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

north central North Dakota

^
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

To be honest the only reason I am priveledged like this is because of neighboring shoots that release birds for shooting.
These have wondered to far, better I take them than some varmint :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Ok Nath. I know what you were saying while taking that first photo. "Staaayy.....staaayy......staaayy......" :D
That Tia looks like a real firecracker. :D
Nice birds, nice gun, great dog. What else could a man want in life? :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath: Always a special joy to know that an Englishman can still keep and use a gun -- and hunt with it too. Thanks for sharing the photos and details.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Very nice!!!! Thanks for sharing. Your hunting partner has a look in her eye like she is not going to let a stranger near her days work,... at least, not without a fight!!! :lol:
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Wonderful!!! The Lord is indeed good!!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow - you are the man!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath -

Your hunting posts are always a reliable pick-me-up! Thanks!!! :D :D :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice going Nath and as usual those are beautiful pictures.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ahhh - very nice!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nath, you did good!! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good on yer Nath, I'm still banned from carrying a gun on the sporting estate where I live :evil: It don't make it any easier having Pheasants waiting for me to throw them peanuts out of the window every morning. :roll:

I'm hoping to move shortly "if" I can find a place with some land for shooting on!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good luck GK on the move when it happens. Could do with another keen soul around here.

OS said I'm the man. :lol: No not really, a friend and I took a walk this afternoon. The rain had moved in. We jumped some ducks in a small river and I ended up with two birds for one barrel and then a third duck with my second shot from the auto. But later in a crow roost on dark I missed everything. Probably 8 crows, I completly lost it :roll: Glad I'm still human then :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nice birds, Nath. I haven't hunted pheasants in at least 10 years. The overuse of insecticides has caused the population of wild birds to plummet. There are too few insects for the young chicks to eat, hence the decline. Despite our owning many hundreds of acres, I have seen exactly TWO roosters this year. The season opens next Saturday, but I won't be bothering to go. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Post,Thank You.