30-30 AI question please..............

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 AI question please..............

Post by Boreman »

I have a 1965 Glenfield/Marlin M-36G that I bought some time ago because it was priced to cheap to turn down. It is in good shape mechanically,bluing is OK,wood needs refinished. I am considering having it rechambered for the 30-30AI. With the introduction of Hornady's Leverlution bullets for reloading,I think that combo would make very potent hunting package. Do you think this is a sound conversion with this rifle? What experience do any of you have with this cartridge ? Recommended loads ? Comments please !!!!! Thanks,Ron
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Don McDowell

Re: 30-30 AI question please..............

Post by Don McDowell »

I believe the 30-30 ai to be "worthwhile" conversion. If for nothing else the 125$ or so it costs to get done gives you a new cartridge to mess with without the expense of a new rifle.
The first thing you need do is work up the maximum loads in the rifle as it now is with slow powders like 4064,rl15, H414 etc. Then after the conversion work is done all you need do is work up 2 grs over those previous maximum and keep an eye on the chronograph. When you hit 150-200 fps over what you had before its time to quit.
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Who's offering the Hornady 160gr bulliets as componets?

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That is a project I've wanted to do for some time. A Marlin is a natural for such a conversion and if I ever get my hands on a cheap base rifle it's on my short list of projects to do. About the only thing I'd like more is the same rifle in 25-35 AI. That, however, would probably entail a rebarrel as well as the chambering job since 25-35 Marlins are about as plentiful as teeth in a hen house.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Rifleman336 wrote:Who's offering the Hornady 160gr bulliets as componets?

Rifleman 336
Cabela's, Grafs, Midway, Natchez...... most anybody that sells hornady stuff.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got two 30-30AI conversions - one is a Win 94 and the other a Marlin 336.

It definately kicks the rifle up to the next notch in performance and is one of the most fruitful of the AI cartridges in terms of actual % increase from the change. This is mostly because of the old design of the 30-30 case (which allows for a good increase in capacity from straightening the case walls and reducing neck length).

As far as loads go - beware. My Win 94 likes a larger charge than my Marlin to get the same velocity. In other words, the Marlin's microgroove rifling has a higher pressure for a given charge than the Winchester's ballard type rifling. They were both rechambered with the same finishing reamer.

I would suggest using the maximum 30-30 loads shown for that Hornady LE bullet as your starting load for the AI. If you don't own a chronograph, nows the time to invest in one. You will need to monitor the velocity closely as you test loads - velocity=pressure and there is no "something for nothing" in loads....

Hope that helps.

Here's a pic of the reamer and brass tube extender that I used for reaching down into the 336's receiver:

After I did my two leverguns, I sold the reamer for $50 - about half what I paid - so each conversion cost me $25.... not bad.

This is a piece of cake to do yourself - just go slow and use lots of oil.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!