.30 Remington loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

.30 Remington loads?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just got me my first Model 8. It's not a lever gun, but it came from the mind of John Browning, and that is enough for me. It's a .30 Remington, and if anyone has loaded for this old sweetie, I would love to hear your experiences.
polardaddy
Levergunner

Re: .30 Remington loads?

Post by polardaddy »

i have a 25 remington, and have not had the chance to reload it, I asked the same question on a different forum and here was the link that someone posted
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage. ... iberID=183
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Come on, post pics! Love those 8s! IIRC you can use the same bullets and charges as with the .30 WCF.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I just picked up a Rem 81 in 35 remington and I m currently waiting on delivery, should be here next week.I also found a lyman folding tang sight for it, and my wife bought it for me as an anniversary gift. :D

Will post picks of it, when it arrives.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Way back when..... the load data in manuals for 30-30 also had the 30rem in the heading.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Anyone interested in a Model 8 carbine?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Are you wanting to load Jacketed or lead rounds ?

If the answer is yes, I have a very nice load for my 141 remington 30 pump rifle.

The loading is the same as the 30-30, for all bullets & powder you might choose.

Factory Fodder is very hard to come by. I look for it at the gun shows. And there it has become quite pricey. $35.00-$40.00 for a box of 20 seems to be the going rate. I have found two boxes, one Winchester Silvertips, the other Remington corelocks for $5.00 a box. Both boxes were full. A Ammo collector offered me $40.00 @ and I turned him down.

I bought 100 new Remington cases and found a set of used Redding 30 Remmington dies for $25.00 W/ the shell holder.
Some try and load 30 Remmy with 30-30 Winchester dies, the cases are not the same. The 30R has a different shoulder angle than the 30W, also body size is slightly different.
I shoot only lead in my 30R 141. I passed on a Model 81 30R several years ago that was mint.
That was mistake.

Have fun with that piece, and I know you will, as my 141 is almost my favorite Rifle. Beside my Leverguns of course.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fellas, thanks. I do have an older Lyman manual with data, and have heard you can substitute .30 WCF data as well. I think I also have a chapter in Waters' Pet Loads on the cartridge. I will probably shoot jacketed bullets. Upon cleaning the barrel of 101 years' worth of copper fouling, the bore was in very fine shape expect for a mild ring near the muzzle. The gun came from New England, so it probably was fired once with a snout full of snow. I expect it will still shoot minute of deer. Will post photos when I can. Serial number dates it to 1908.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

30-30 data is just about interchangable, but the best data is in Pet Loads and it pushes the 30 Rem up a notch from the 30-30. I used a cast bullet load in my 30 and 35 and pushed the bullets to 2000+.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hobie wrote:Anyone interested in a Model 8 carbine?
Well,... Yeah!!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie