Aguila Colibri ammunition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Aguila Colibri ammunition

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was reading one of Jeff's articles in GunBlast on .22's (http://www.gunblast.com/SW-63.htm), and noted his comment on the performance of the Aguila Colibri rounds.

I like these. They are quieter in my .22 long guns than a decent-powered air rifle. Only problem is that, as Jeff notes, they are just not that accurate. Some shots are, some shots aren't - just no consistency. Is this what you have found? Does anyone own a .22 that shoots these well, consistently?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Aguila Colibri ammunition

Post by rjohns94 »

I am using my MAS 45 bolt gun with this ammo and I'm shooting sub inch (sub squirrel head) at 25 yards, open sights, standing, offhand. I plan on hunting with them in this rifle this fall. I'm thinking the busy tails are in trouble.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, they are great in my 1906 (which is zeroed for them) and in the Winchester M72 which I didn't need to rezero. Almost forgot to mention that they are great fun to shoot walnuts out of the trees with my S&W M34...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I use this stuff alot!!!!! Bought a brick of it some years ago 'cause it was cheap. Run it through a bolt action Remington I bought used when i was 16. It's great! Very accurate and powerful enough at close range to take raccoons and skunks. I sold my pellet rifle after using Colibri because the pellet gun was too loud.Billy
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've not used the Collibri, but I have used the Super Collibri in a Colt Diamondback. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is. Some say the "Super" has a few flakes of powder versus the powder-less Collibri. They are good for keeping tree rats from nesting in my gutters. However, they are not strong enough for the raccoons around here.

Yeah, they're big for some reason. It's probably the good diet they get here .... fish from around the lake shore and all of the fine food my kids toss in the garbage. My six year old thinks the bottom half of a banana is just there to support the edible top half of the banana.

I moved to 5mm for raccoons after a Super Collibri irritated one and he turned on me. :shock:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I moved to 5mm for raccoons after a Super Collibri irritated one and he turned on me.
Well, the real reason I got the .444 Marlin was actually for the raccoons that eat our chickens. That way I don't have to bury anything (it pretty much field-dresses them with any hit), and the chickens don't have to work so hard to eat the smaller bits of flesh it leaves. :? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Super Colibri are minute of 25 yd squirrel out of Mountie.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

We tried it in my boy's CZ452. It's not accurate enough for my taste, while the Super Colibri is much better and hardly any louder.

I have noticed getting dirty chambers with this ammo though, so that in short order we could hardly chamber another round. A boresnake takes care of that.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

The Super Colibri's are not accurate in any of my rifles.

I bought a CZ 452 Ultra Lux (28" barrel) for back yard pest control. Subsonic .22 long rifles in it are no louder than my sons 1000fps Gamo air rifle. CB longs out of it are whisper quiet.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

AJMD429 wrote:
I moved to 5mm for raccoons after a Super Collibri irritated one and he turned on me.
Well, the real reason I got the .444 Marlin was actually for the raccoons that eat our chickens. That way I don't have to bury anything (it pretty much field-dresses them with any hit), and the chickens don't have to work so hard to eat the smaller bits of flesh it leaves. :? :lol:
THAT ....... is completely awesome.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

I have never used them, but you can
search over at the Rimfire Central
forum (Henry Threads), that many claim they work great in the Henry
.22 lever.

papasan
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Shoot the quiet stuff at rats on the high lines in the backyard. Use my Savage
Favorite, occassion one stuck in the barrel, I take a dowel rod and push it out, occassion one that doesnt go off. Quieter then a air rifle. Use it on grackles that eat my tomatoes. Good out to about 25 yards, any accuracy problems are my own.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

66GTO wrote:The Super Colibri's are not accurate in any of my rifles.

I bought a CZ 452 Ultra Lux (28" barrel) for back yard pest control. Subsonic .22 long rifles in it are no louder than my sons 1000fps Gamo air rifle. CB longs out of it are whisper quiet.
Those really long barrels are great for the CBs but not so good for the Colibris. The Colibris have problems with the tighter and rougher bores, too, it seems.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a Cricket rifle with a 16" barrel that Piller loaned to me and Ricky for our kids to shoot. Both boys can hit a soda can every time at 15 yds. I can keep the shots inside a 1" diameter bullseye at 2o yds. It kills rabbits pretty good with head shots, but not so good on squirrels. I think they have thicker skulls and skin.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Hobie wrote:
66GTO wrote:The Super Colibri's are not accurate in any of my rifles.

Those really long barrels are great for the CBs but not so good for the Colibris. The Colibris have problems with the tighter and rougher bores, too, it seems.
Hobie,
I haven't shot the Colibris in my Ultra Lux, just my 16"-18" barrels. Between the CZ's tight bore and the long barrel, I am afraid the Colibri bullet would never make it out of the barrel. (edit: I just went outside and tried the Super Colibris in the Ultra Lux. They do make it out of the barrel and are totally silent. I shot at a tree and all I heard was the firing pin hit and the bullet hit the tree! Judging from the time lapse from firing pin to bullet hit, the velocity is about the same as a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun)

I don't find the Colibris accurate past 10-12 yds. But they are quiet.

With the 28" barrel, I've settled on Remington CBee's as my backyard pest load. They are quieter than regular subsonics, but noisier than CCI CB's. In a shorter barrel they are kind of noisey for a CB, but from the 28" barrel they are pretty quiet. They have a 33 gr. segmented hollow point bullet rated at 740 fps. It is a one shot kill on big coons. The hollow point actually expands to over .30" when shot into milk jugs full of water at backyard distances.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

About 800 Super Colibris through my plain Jane Henry. They clink and swing the chicken very nicely at 50 feet. (My ancient eyes and the coarse open sights can't d do much better for distance...)Image
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Super Colibri has just more priming compound in it for a little more velocity. The Colibri is incredibly quiet out of my Henry. At 15 yards of less, I can kill a squirrell with the Super Colibri, but not the Colibri rounds. My garden this year didn't have many squirrell problems.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would agree that 20 yards is about the absolute max effective range for these. They work great in barns where you don't want to penetrate the walls. Much better for shooting rats than the .22 shot cartridges.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I would agree that 20 yards is about the absolute max effective range for these. They work great in barns where you don't want to penetrate the walls. Much better for shooting rats than the .22 shot cartridges.
That begs the question - I wonder how deep these rounds will go? I imagine they won't penetrate much. I know - depends on the sustance one is shooting at. I may need to set up a few tests. Pine boards, wallboard, etc. I know my target box in the basement is plenty safe enough, but then again, it's base is two layers of 2x4's sandwhiched between 1/2" thick plywood. In front of that is about 8 inches of telephone books. I doubt either the Colibri or the Super Colibri rounds even get a couple inches into the phone books!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote:I would agree that 20 yards is about the absolute max effective range for these. They work great in barns where you don't want to penetrate the walls. Much better for shooting rats than the .22 shot cartridges.
That begs the question - I wonder how deep these rounds will go? I imagine they won't penetrate much. I know - depends on the sustance one is shooting at. I may need to set up a few tests. Pine boards, wallboard, etc. I know my target box in the basement is plenty safe enough, but then again, it's base is two layers of 2x4's sandwhiched between 1/2" thick plywood. In front of that is about 8 inches of telephone books. I doubt either the Colibri or the Super Colibri rounds even get a couple inches into the phone books!
At 50 feet, the Super Colibris will shoot through a piece of 1X6 white pine...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

airedaleman wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
At 50 feet, the Super Colibris will shoot through a piece of 1X6 white pine...
Me too. My fence looks like swiss cheese. Treated 1x4s.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

At 50 feet, the Super Colibris will shoot through a piece of 1X6 white pine
Unless it is an old fence board, hardened by the sun. The Supers I shot only went 1/4 inch deep.