Pre 1964 & Post 1964 Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Pre 1964 & Post 1964 Question.

Post by cshold »

What “all” exactly changed in the making of the Winchester Model 94
during this now famous year :?:
76/444

Re: Pre 1964 & Post 1964 Question.

Post by 76/444 »

The only difference I am aware of is the pre 64 feed ramp was machined rather than stamped.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Where IS Joe's complete description?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I KNOW! I KNOW! Here it is:
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... sters.html :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I almost forgot where it was too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks for the link.
I really don't remember 1964, I was only 3 :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was 12 but I didn't get my first 1894 till three years later. I was too busy in 1964 listening to the Beatles and other English groups. :oops:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks Joe. I finally got smart enough to put a link to it on my blog. Now, if I can just remember I put it there! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mine was made in 1961.
Why did my pre-64 Left Side come with the two extra holes to
mount either a side mount or a pep sight?
I did not have it D&T’d, I bought it brand new about
7 yrs. Ago. It was brand new in the original box all hang tags
wrapped in the brown paper. (Yes still have all)
So what yr. did Win. Start D&Ting the two extra holes from
the factory?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am thinking 1955... dang CRS today... :roll: My ca. 1946 gun was not D&T.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Why did my pre-64 Left Side come with the two extra holes to mount either a side mount or a pep sight?]

BTW - The two holes weren't for scope mounting, since scopes weren't in general usage (yet) at the time - they were/are peep sight prep holes.

Years later, when scopes became popular and readily available, the side scope mount was developed to meet the demand to scope the Model 94, and so was designed to utilize the factory peep/prep holes and the bolt pin stop screw hole, so aspiring self-scopers could buy a "no gunsmithing" mount.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1964................. Ahhhhhhh !.........It was a VERY good year - the last year of my batchelorhood. ;) :mrgreen:

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:[Why did my pre-64 Left Side come with the two extra holes to mount either a side mount or a pep sight?]

BTW - The two holes weren't for scope mounting, since scopes weren't in general usage (yet) at the time - they were/are peep sight prep holes.

Years later, when scopes became popular and readily available, the side scope mount was developed to meet the demand to scope the Model 94, and so was designed to utilize the factory peep/prep holes and the bolt pin stop screw hole, so aspiring self-scopers could buy a "no gunsmithing" mount..
Yep, made just for me, I love that little K3 ridin the side. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My 1950 is not D&T'd for a side mount receiver sight ... yet. When I can find a drill press and get it done I have a nice shiny older steel Lyman 66A waiting for it. No carrying handles on my lever guns.

Joe
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

the d&t started around '51/'52 when the short forearm wood came to be.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That's pre 64 or post 63.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm noticing, other than the first post, no one's bothered to address the OP's question--at least in terms of substantial differences. As far as I know, the aforementioned lifter/feed ramp, fit and finish (pre's having more labor/hand finishing supposedly) and metallurgy of the receiver - the posts using a scintered metal that can't take blue'ing/re-blue'ing worth a darn (though I've heard case hardening works ok) and there was a lot of flaking. Early post-64 examples actually looked like black paint when new. All 94s are said to be somewhat prone to moisture on the receiver (sweat, etc.) resulting in pitting, suggesting frequent wipe-downs--but the posts even more-so. Later ones improved in this finish department gradually - during the 70s - to the point where, just prior to (and just after) USRAC's take-over in '80 the finish--at least cosmetically--and items such as the feed ramp had approached pre-64 levels again. Others more expert than I can fill-in or correct.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gak, the link Joe posted did. This question has come up a lot & Joe's done his homework and posted it up for all.

I think the D&T was '52. Joe, I'd love an unmolested '50... let me find a good '52 & we'll swap! We can both have our birth year 94's!

'64, I built my 1st surfboard trailer for my bike... 9 miles from my parent's house to the Huntington Beach pier!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:gak, the link Joe posted did. This question has come up a lot & Joe's done his homework and posted it up for all.

I think the D&T was '52. Joe, I'd love an unmolested '50... let me find a good '52 & we'll swap! We can both have our birth year 94's!

'64, I built my 1st surfboard trailer for my bike... 9 miles from my parent's house to the Huntington Beach pier!

Absolutely. That would tickle me pink.

Joe