OT: From the animal rescue dept ... turtle - UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: From the animal rescue dept ... turtle - UPDATE

Post by J Miller »

Several years ago my wife rescued a turtle from the middle of busy Springfield street. We later turned him loose in the lake of a golf course close to us. But like the dummies we can be we didn't get any pics.

Fast forward to today. She rescued another of the same kind of turtle from another busy street. Got pics this time.
I'm not sure what kind of turtle this is other than he's an aquatic type. He still has moss growing on his shell.
And an attitude. He kept snapping at anything that got close to his face.

Here's some pics.

Front view of dry turtle:
Turtle, front.JPG
Front view, he was snapping at the camera. Sorry about the focus.
Turtle, front, close.JPG
Side view, you can see the red racing stripes on his head:
Turtle, right.JPG
Bottom view:
Turtle, bottom.JPG
Turtle in the tub, YK view:
Turtle, YK view.JPG
Later today after the golf course is closed, we'll let him loose in the lake.
That's probably where he came from anyway.

UPDATE, 10:00PM: Turtle back home:
Turtle, back home.JPG

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: From the animal rescue dept ... turtle

Post by mklwhite »

Glad to see that. As my granny use to say "good on you"!
:D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:
Turtle in the tub, YK view:
Turtle, YK view.JPG

Joe
that's funny right there.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Good for you and Mrs.Miller for rescuing the little guy. I do the same thing. He looks like the turtles I used to see in the pet stores as a kid in the 70s. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1886 wrote:Good for you and Mrs.Miller for rescuing the little guy. I do the same thing. He looks like the turtles I used to see in the pet stores as a kid in the 70s. 1886.
I've seen them for sale here in Spfld too. So he must be a common type.
I just don't know the correct name.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

It's called a Painted Turtle. The most common type of turtle in the USA. There are a few variations due to locality http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_Turtle We have them up here and I can remember catching them as a child in IL.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buffboy,

Thanks for the ID. If I had my own place with a pond I'd keep him.

Right now he's motating all over the house. May have to stick him in tub to keep him safe till we can take him to the park.
Cats have been having fun watching him.

Joe
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I had one of them about that size clamp down on my finger when I was a kid and not let go...kinda changes your perspective throughout life on turtles. I drive around them on the road, but don't go out of my way to bother them either. :lol:

Ed
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Its a male Red-Eared Slider :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In Indiana, I've been informed it is ILLEGAL to move a turtle (or any other reptile or amphibian excepting 'game' species), EVEN if you're rescuing it from a roadway. :roll:

We still do it, though, and just try to be careful about putting the critter in a safe place of the environment it generally inhabits, and if possible the one it was seeking.

Supposedly, box turtles around where we live cross the roads from low to high ground seasonally, heading to deep ravines in the woods to hibernate under leaf litter. Anyhow, they cross roads far too often for their own good.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

3leggedturtle wrote:Its a male Red-Eared Slider :D
Probably looking for a girl turtle.
AJMD429 wrote:In Indiana, I've been informed it is ILLEGAL to move a turtle (or any other reptile or amphibian excepting 'game' species), EVEN if you're rescuing it from a roadway. :roll:

We still do it, though, and just try to be careful about putting the critter in a safe place of the environment it generally inhabits, and if possible the one it was seeking.

Supposedly, box turtles around where we live cross the roads from low to high ground seasonally, heading to deep ravines in the woods to hibernate under leaf litter. Anyhow, they cross roads far too often for their own good.
Considering they sell them in the pet shops around here I doubt we'll have any problems with rescuing him.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: From the animal rescue dept ... turtle - UPDATE

Post by J Miller »

Wifie got home, took a break and then took the little feller back to the park. She put him on the grass about 3' from the water and he scooted straight in.
Pic in OP.

Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

J Miller wrote:Wifie got home, took a break and then took the little feller back to the park. She put him on the grass about 3' from the water and he scooted straight in.
Pic in OP.

Joe
He's telling his partners right now "I barely escaped being turtle soup."
Old Law Dawg
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It's a female. Males have a concave bottom plate to their shell. It mates up better (pun intended) with the convex top shell of the female that way.

Also, when "rescuing" a turtle - move it in the direction it was going or it'll just turn around and come on back through. In other words, if it's moving north - move it on north. Help it along it's way. 'Cause if you move him south he'll just turn around and head north again. They're goin' thataway for a reason and your concern about helpin' 'em out of the road is of no concern to THEM. All they know is they're goin' "thataway".

Have you ever seen what turtles can do to ducks and other waterfowl? Don't know for sure 'bout the lil' box turtles like you found, but the snappers will snap their feet off - unless they manage to drag the whole bird down permanent like for a full meal.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Jolly good show Mr. Miller. Kudo's to the wife.

As a side note, I brought a turtle back from Florida one time in my carry-on. Gave the screeners at the airport fits but got her home. (she laid eggs almost a year later in the aquarium).

That was eight years ago. The turtle spends the long winter months in an aquarium, eating salmon eggs, goldfish, and chunks of moose meat and then goes "outside" for the summer to a garden pond and gets to forage a mite and enjoy a frog or two when I stumble upon them.

There is a feller out at the Chattinka lodge (North of Fairbanks) that has four Sliders that he has kept in a custom aquarium for over twenty years now.

Who says that there are no turtles in Alaska?

Again, good save. I have enjoyed turtles since my childhood days.

"There once was a girl named Myrtle,
who got as a present a turtle.
she though he was dead and
poked his head.
Now the turtle has Myrtle." :o

My Best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AmBraCol wrote:
It's a female. Males have a concave bottom plate to their shell. It mates up better (pun intended) with the convex top shell of the female that way.
Yes But look at the front claws, they are extremely long , females claws are short and stubby. Funny you mention Box Turtles. Was going thru OK last yaer and stopped the semi and picked a small boxer off the road, kept her with me for a 2 months, She absolutely loved nectarines, and when i fed her nightcrawlers, she went absolutely nuts on them. Almost felt sorry for the worm. What kind of turtles do you have where you are at. Am hoping to get to visit a turtle when I go to FLA next week. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Joe! :D