OT - bowhunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - bowhunting

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, next week, I'll get a chance to do some bow hunting in Mississippi. I am looking forward to this and seeing some old friends.

I was just out finding my "block" target and getting my bow and stuff out to look over and prepare for some practice. It's been 4 years since I've bow hunted and the bow has been packed up in its case since then.

While in the midst of this, it ocurred to me that while I am competent (or at least was the last time I practiced) enough to place the arrow, I am definately not a bow "enthusiast". But, I am to bow hunting what so many are to hunting with a rifle.

Most hunters leave their hunting rifle in the safe until just before hunting season when they drag it out, check it and take it to the range to check the zero and maybe get a little practice.

That's the way I am with my bow...

I will make sure that I'm up to speed before leaving for the hunt - I owe the deer that much.

Just seemed weird to me to realize that I do the same thing that I council against others from doing... just with different hunting tools. :roll:

In other words, I realized that I've been hypocritical about this and that kinda bugs me.

The answer to this issue of course is 1) don't bow hunt or 2) get the thing out and practice every so often.

I will do number two - after all, I can do this in my back yard any time that I choose... and its good excersize for my upper body too.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - bowhunting

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, shooting of anykind is a skill that erodes a little, without practice. I have noticed that in my own shooting in the last few years, due to not shooting as much as I did in past times. I always check my rifle's sights at least, but I know it would be better if I practiced some more, espacally my offhand shooting. Offhand shooting will make better shot out anyone, even when using a rest. The trigger control, hold and breath control always carries over and I am a much better shot overall, after a session of offhand practice.

I have been presently shooting my old TC Hawken 54, to get ready for our Muzzleloading season, and had to resight, since I shorted the barrel a changed the sights, recently. But I am hoping to take delivery on my new Jackie Brown Smoothbore Fowler, before the ML season, and will want to get confortable with it, and use it instead. My shot will be very close, and I would sure like to take a deer with the .62 cal fowler.

I love to bow hunt with my Martin Hatfield Takedown recurve, but I have not shot it much in a while, so I would not feel nearly as confident as I would if I had been shooting it often. I probably won't hunt with it, because of that, and use my crossbow instead, but it doesn't matter much, as I won't take a shot with either unless it's at practically point blank range, anyway. Almost every deer I have ever shot while bowhunting has been within 10yds to 15yds, with many at around 5yds.
NRA Life Member, Patron
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I used to bowhunt all the time. That was when I was young and no responsibilities. Once the real world kicked in, (wife, kid, full time job etc) I didn't have the time to practice. I also could do it in my back yard, but spare time was at a premium. I found with bow shooting if you don't use it, you loose it. Rifle shooting at least for me is easier to keep up to par. I feel the prey be it deer, moose, or a rabbit deserves your best, and if you don't feel you are at your best, don't shoot. Every camp needs a cook, if you don't feel capable of being comfortable shooting your bow, go anyway for the fun of being with good friends. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I won't have to be the camp cook - not exclusively any way ;)

I just got through practicing and found that I'd retained my archery skills. :) I did find that the point of impact had moved to the right a few inches and adjusted the sights accordingly. My bow has the little doughnut in the bowstring that you sight through to the pins and its just like sighting one of my leverguns with the XS sights. All's I have to do is remember the mechanics of let-off, etc. and they fly true.

I find the challenge of the modern compound bow with aperture sights to be plenty enough. I feel confident with it.

Of course, my heart wasn't pounding like it does when a nice buck or even a meat doe is present... but that's never prevented me from making a good shot with a rifle.

I also rediscovered that my field points shoot way higher than my muzzy broad heads.... so, I just practiced with the muzzys - the big block target is very easy on them and extraction is no prob either.

I have determined that the longest shot that I will take is 40 yards. I can keep them in the h/l area at that distance with every shot - and my pins are are adjusted for 25 and 35 spot-on. The shots where I'm going to hunt tend to be at least 20 yards but I'll be in a stand which adds distance...

I may not be an archery nut but I did take the time time learn the craft - I would never attempt hunting without doing that.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I shoot bare bow recurve. Well haven't in years but have close to a dozen bows.

I KNOW that I need two weeks minimum of daily practice if I want to hit anything.

I also know that it's easier for me to hit rabbits on the run and usually end up being head shots, lol.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well for us Arkansaw hunters, bow season opens Wdnesday morning, Oct 1. The first Muzzle loader season Oct 17. Reckon I'm ready for both, recurve and Kentucky rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

I have taken two hogs in the last two weeks with my compound and I'm extremely excited about the opening of archery season next weekend. I just got a new Bear Lights Out this year and it's a SWEET shooting bow. I used a recurve for a while but due to nerve damage on the middle finger on my right (drawing) hand, I had to switch back to a compound. Oh well, it's all good. Last weekend I took a 150# boar and a 300# boar with the new Bear.

Get out and practice. Although a rifle takes some wrok to become proficient, the adrenaline rush of shooting a deer with a bow means that you need to be on top of your game before hunting.

Todd
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I gain great enjoyment from shooting my bow. I typically shoot 6-10 dozen arrows a day from longbow, averaging 100 shots a day. In the summer I spend a lot of time walking the animal course at my archery club, using my longbow for carp shooting, etc. I deer hunt and hunt small game with my bow. Between my longbow, side by side, and black powder rifle, along with my fishing rods, I could easily be happy hunting and living off the land - but I'm sure I would miss my leverguns :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If I can kill a Fox squirrel every time I hunt with My longbow I figure I am ready for Deer.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am sure you will, but just a word of warning! CHECK OUT THAT BOW STRING! If it has been sitting idle for 4 years as a minimum you will want to wax it up good. I was gone to Iraq for 2 years. WHile I was gone the wife decided my SKB hard bow case was taking up too much room in our basement closet. She decide to put it outback in the storeage shed. :o When I came home and found the case outside when I was getting ready to mow the yard I about soiled myself. I opened the case and sure enough the string had popped. I checked out all the limbs to make sure they were solid and then sold it off.

Get in lots of practice and have a great hunt!

I pic or two would be nice when you tell us the results of the hunt.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I am primarily a bowhunter, I shoot my longbow year round. I build my own bows, strings, arrows. Out of state trips, when I can afford them are bowhunts. One of my favorite pasttimes is to roam the woods stumpshooting. I love to watch an arrow fly. I love my leverguns, but here in IL I can only use them on small game or varmits, such is the reason for my passion for bowhunting. Upcoming season will be my 39th. There is a lot more to bowhunting than the ability to shoot an arrow, I do encourage regular practice though.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Oh, I'll be practicing. And thanks for the advice on the string - my bow has been stored in a climate controlled room but you never know! I need to get some wax I guess. I need to order some more shafts and tips too... whats a good on-line purveyor?

I wish the field tips would shoot to the same poa as the broad heads... but at least my target block works good with the broad heads.

After this trip, I'll just use the field tips and adjust the sights to them as I probably won't be hunting with a bow again this season.

The main reason why I'm not a frequent bow hunter is that I only get so many opportunities to hunt and lets face it, a firearm extends your range and ups the odds. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I sure enjoy my leverguns but have been totally fascinated by the longbow for the better part of fourty years (with a little sidetrack to the dark side of compounds for a few years)

For some wierd reason, almost every animal I have killed, large and small, have fallen to a pointy stick. Enjoy the rifles but have more success with the longbow. I have not got it all figgured out but figgure that psychologicly I am hunting harder with the bow in hand. I sure shoot the things more. Indoors down the hallway when the freezing cold hits, and I keep a takedown in my big rig since the major part of my route is an archery only corrodor along the trans alaska pipeline.

"carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes the magic happens"... Gepetto

Be Blessed on the hunt OSOK. You will know in your knower when to drop the string.

Scotty

http://www.denalihunts.com
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

OSOK,

If I were you, I'd just go out and see how well I shot, before being too critical. You might surprise yourself. If you suck, though, there's always muzzleloader season!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Travis Morgan wrote:OSOK,

If I were you, I'd just go out and see how well I shot, before being too critical. You might surprise yourself. If you suck, though, there's always muzzleloader season!
I did :)

I don't suck :D

I won't be shooting thrown aspirins or anything but I'm very confident in my ability to shoot a buck in the H/L area.

Shooting a bow and shooting a rifle off-hand (the bow is always off-hand!) are basically the same. Sight, hold, trigger (I use a mechanical release) let-off.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1