Almost that time of the year boys!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Almost that time of the year boys!

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Deer Hunting!

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Almost that time of the year boys!

Post by madman4570 »

Looks like my back yard?? :lol: :D :mrgreen:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Please excuse this city boy's ignorance, but where/what is this? A feeding area? An animal park?
Last edited by mikld on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

It kinda looks like maybe its a deer ranch(raise venison)??? or maybe some kind of animal preserve??Check out at the top of the hill on the power line clear cut.isnt that 2 people walking down to the deer?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Not a "Deer" ranch, nor a animal park....just February Deer "yarding" in the northern part of Wisconsin.

Once the snows get deep and the cold settles in the deer come together in increasing smaller areas to feed, hence the grouping (and why there isn't a February, March, and so on hunting). Coupled to the fact the nights generally fall below 0, the deer change their normally nocturnal feeding habits and feed primarily during the warmer parts of the day. Their instinct to feed becomes stronger and their sense of danger becomes less allowing people to get quite close to them (the two people on the ridge and the person taking the picture). The use of the fire lane (the power lines probably go back to a mid-wood cabin) is probably more due to the accessibility of humans to place feed for the deer (notice the piles in various spots), but then again even a deer would rather walk in easier transversed country than walk in deeper snow up to their belly. I can pretty much guaranty that these are wild deer, I've seen and had over a hundred walk up to my deck on my hunting camp in mid winter to get at the hay for my horses. They walk right past the dogs, who just watch them.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yep, and it doesn't have to be back up in the woods either. We live up in a small valley s/w of Denver that has a large number of 'greenbelts' in the gullies and other wide areas of open land left natural for the wildlife. In fact, our valley is designated as a private game preserve.

If the winter is hard, we get herds of 10-15 deer or elk wandering around our neighborhood munching on our bushes. I've seen a group that was so hungry they ate one of my juniper bushes that was poking out from under a few feet of snow while I was standing on the porch not 7 ft from them.

My wife felt sorry for them about 10 yrs ago and left a few pie tins of corn out in the back yard for a few months. We had deer and elk camping out in the back yard waiting for the feed. When the snow melted we had 1/2 a garbage can full of droppings to clean up! Needless to say, I don't let her do that anymore.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Steve,

Let her have her fun! Just buy her a rake... and a slicer and jerky maker for yourself.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Steve, maybe you could package those droppings and sell it as an "Exotic Wildlife Fertilizer" :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

We have the same thing up here in the winter. Near my Mom's place a couple people feed them all winter. In the fall they are hard to find ,but once the snow falls and the food come out there are plenty. One fellow went through 5 tons of carrots and parsnips not to mention the bales of good quality horse hay.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

iceman wrote:We have the same thing up here in the winter. . . . One fellow went through 5 tons of carrots and parsnips not to mention the bales of good quality horse hay.
Oh my :o
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are