Bass Pro Rant - This letter went out mail and e-mail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Bass Pro Rant - This letter went out mail and e-mail

Post by 86er »

ON TOPIC BECAUSE I WENT TO GET LEVERGUN AMMO

To Whom it May Concern:

Here's a Customer Number you can cancel - 034243897. On August 8th my family and I went to the Garland, Texas store. Immediately upon entering the store we were asked if we were Preferred Customers. "I don't know" was my answer. The employee asked if we had a "grey card" to which I replied "No". We were then essentially discarded while other patrons with grey cards were given instructions and told of events within the store. My sons wanted to enter a contest by dropping a card at a table manned by an employee. They were told "Oh no you don't, this is for Preferred Customers Only". I went to the customer service counter and told the employee there what happened and asked about how to get a "Prefered" card. She told me "It comes in the mail". I specifically asked HOW to obtain a card and she said "You can only get one when we mail it to you". Somehow I don't think this answered my question. In the Hunting Section a seminar was about to begin. We were walking among the line of patrons to take seats. The Bass Pro employee was asking patrons "Preferred, Preferred"? When we said "No" we were directed to the last row of folding chairs while the preferred patrons continued towards the front. Our boys cannot see from the back so we left the seminar area and went towards the front of the store. There was a table with cookies, drinks and snacks. The employee serving at the table was announcing "Welcome Preferred Customers". My boys lost their enthusiasm and turned away. I asked what was wrong and they said "You're not a Preferred Customer, Daddy". This whole concept annoyed me but when it makes little boys feel like second rate citizens it is entirely unacceptable to me. Who am I? We have been in Texas for a little more than one year. One of the reasons we chose our home was the proximity to the Bass Pro store. We came from New York where there was no store nearby and each year we would make a weekend trip to the Bass Pro near Harrisburg, PA. I am at the Garland, Texas store at least once per week. We appreciate the "summer camp" set-up for our boys. I am a Professional Hunting Outfitter in the business for over 20 years. I am constantly buying equipment, upgrading and picking up items for client use. I have displayed as a vendor in your Grapevine, Texas store during Outfitter Days and Dallas Safari Club events. So long, Bass Pro. I have no problem driving the additional 40 minutes to Cabela's where everyone is treated the same. Oh sure, Cabelas has special mailings and offers that go out to patrons with an established purchase history or a well managed Cabelas Visa Card. However, there has never been a time when Cabelas segregated events within the store so that a certain class of customer had in-store advantages regarding the place in line, contents, or available opportunities. Furthermore, if you would like to be recognized as a frequent shopper in Cabelas, you can sign up at the customer service counter for a Points Card (free no obligation) or a Visa Card. There are no distinct statuses among the Points Card holders and no separation of regular visa holders vs. signature visa holders other than the phone service options available. Also, an upgrade is instantly available. Dick and Mary Cabelas would never tolerate discrimination among patrons. I can't believe Johnny Morris would condone this and would rather believe this indident is poor upper level management or store management. The concept was probably well intended but it was not well executed. If you are going to promote the store and offer incentives, they should be available across the board to all patrons. I guess buying a few items every week doesn't qualify me as an important customer. I am going to make all of my hunting and fishing clients members of my own "Preferred" program by sending out an e-mail stating I prefer them to use gear purchased from Cabelas and other retailers with a copy of this e-mail to Bass Pro,

Respectfully,

Josef Riekers. M.A., PHO
TARSPORTING.com
2740 St Hwy 276
Suite 100-32
Rockwall, Texas 75032
(469) 338-0071
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bass Pro Rant - This letter went out mail and e-mail

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow, what a bunch of idiots. I don't patronize Bass Pro myself - I've always had good service and treatement from Cabelas.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Certainly that is how you would be expected to feel. But, Joe - you are in business as I am and we know these big outfits all make policies to handle various situations everyday and promotional. They have to have some way to organize it and handle anticipated demands and problems. I have been to these places and they don't know you - the generic you - from adam. Sometimes that doesn't work.

I think for your own purposes I would call the store manager directly and have a chat. The corporate structure isn't likely to even be aware of this unless there are a number of complaints. The letter is a good idea but I think it would benefit you if they then became aware of you personally and reinstate you as a preferred member an let the store manager himself take care that this is done. It is clear from all the feedback here that you go the extra mile and a half to see that your clients/customers have a good experience. I bet something good will come of this.

I hope for the best for you in this matter.

Fred
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Joe, If you don't mind I'm going to copy and paste your letter, along with my own note, and send it to Bass Pro. They're doing what a lot of grocery store's are doing with their Preferred Cards.

Here's what I added to Joe's letter.

I agree with Mr. Riekers, if you are going to set up a two tier system them I will no longer shop with Bass Pro. I live 30 minutes from the Garland, Texas store. I will mail order from Cabelas and save my gas. In these hard economical times every penny counts. If you can afford to give discounts for "preferred customers" then you must be cheating us non preferred customers.
Last edited by RKrodle on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I've got to agree with what OS said. I live about three-and-a-half hours from a Bass Pro (Auburn NY), and my job occasionally allows me to go out there. Unfortunately, my job doesn't allow me time to go to Cabela's. I've never had a bad experience with either (Net business and catalog business). However, that being said, I can see your ire being raised at your treatment.

OS is right--call the store manager. They know that it takes a heluva lot more money in advertising to get new customers than it takes to treat their current customers right.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I live close to a Bass Pro shop (40 mins) and no other large store I know of.
I used to like going out there every few months, after hearing this I am crossing
them off my list and will order online from now on (NOT at BP).
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

UPDATE -

I received a call this Sunday afternoon from the Garland, TX assistant store manager Perry Shaeffer. He listened intently to what I had to say. He was open for suggestions on how to better execute their program. The Preferred status is directed towards consumers that spend over $1000 in one year from Jan - Dec (it does not carry over). From what he said, the staff did not have adequate training regarding anwering questions, directing inquires and the overall execution of the program. He genuinely solicited my ideas and advice to keep the success of the program while blending it in with the rest of the patronship without separation. He explained the program for preferred status and the corporate policy on it. While I think other retailers have the program arranged better, he seemed eager to take my feedback to his staff and superiors. He also told me that MANY e-mails and phone calls came in about this event and a lot of them were my clients citing what I told them. THANK YOU for supporting me and thinking of the interest of my family regarding the way Bass Pro acted. There is power in numbers! I'm not thrilled with Bass Pro due to this, but I am going to give them a chance to fine tune these programs so that a "regular customer" like me does not feel second class during the events. We'll see what happens. It does make a big difference to me that someone payed enough attention to take immediate corrective action on this issue.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Hummm! Nine times out of ten I still get most of
my sporting good needs at plain Jane Wally-World. :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

86er wrote:It does make a big difference to me that someone payed enough attention to take immediate corrective action on this issue.
That is a big deal and I am glad it turned out as good as it did. I hate getting that feeling anywhere especially a place that you do very much shopping at.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I was visiting my Son in Tejas last Month, he lives in Flower Mound, Tx. Right next store to the Grapevine/Dallas Bass Pro Shop. At the store we were in the fishing Dept, and I was looking at new reels. The Reel I was interested in was behind the counter on a shelf. The reel was visible but beyond reach. I ask the clerk behind the counter, if I cound see the reel I was interested in purchasing. He stated he was very busy at the moment and if I could wait 10 or 15 minutes. As I could see he was not busy at all. I said thank you and we left the store.

Cabela's in Glendale, AZ. is 20 minutes from my house, they will get my business. I will never enter a Bass Pro-shop again.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I live about equidistant between the Garland and Grapvine BassPro stores and another 20 minutes (maybe) from Cabela's.

I'm nobody special, but when I walk into a store and my wallet is out, I want to be treated like I'm the only customer in the store. The word "no" usually sends my business to the other guy right then, right there, for at least a season.

Due to my experiences with the sales "help" in most stores, I rarely waste my time with them. I feel like it's time poorly used, seeking assitance only to discover that I am usually more knowledgable about the product that I am shopping for than they are.

Because of these highly refined inter-personal skills, I tend toward using catalogs or shopping on-line.

You're in a fortunate position, Joe. Seems to me that your concerns were addressed because you influence a number of other customers. Whatever works. Give 'em hell.

Most people just have to go back to the non-preferred dung-heap and sulk.

:lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I work close enough to the OKC store I could drool for lunch daily. I dont.
Why? Bass Pro doesnt really stock anything special... and the prices are not that hot for the national volume of products they move.

Cabelas is almost "mecca"... good stuff and lots of it...plus they keep the image up by not saturating the market with stores. Just a few nationwide and a good cataloge to keep ya droolin'

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I'm treated shabbly at a store, I don't "stew" on it. I get a name and go right to the manager with it. If the store manager is not helpful, the district manager will get a call shortly. Names, places and dates. Times are bad enough that stores really don't want unhappy customers talking on forums about them :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I was at Bass Pro today for the last time. Not that happy about the prices to start with and tired of the question about a having a card and getting charged more. Thank-you for the Rant as it made the decision easy.
It is not the critic who counts
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow 86er thats pretty bad even if the staff are not trained properly
thay should still have a bit of decency/respect.
you have a bit more tolerance than me i probably would of got my self into trouble in that situation
glad thay actually gave you the time of day and lisend to you the customer..
thank you 86er
.Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

86er wrote:UPDATE -

It does make a big difference to me that someone payed enough attention to take immediate corrective action on this issue.
That's Capitalism and the Free Market in action...most of us running businesses actually DO listen to our customers. The ones who don't aren't in business too long (unless it is a government 'sheltered' business).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't have a problem with preferred customer programs per se. For example, I have to fly a lot for my job. I stay in hotels a lot. The hotel preferred guest programs are the best. You simply spend a lot of nights with them, and you start getting free upgrades on rooms, and acquire points for free nights. They appreciate everyone's business, and in this economy, are smart to do so. They just quietly reward their frequent customers.

Airlines aren't half bad at this as well. You rack up miles, which I use for personal reasons from time to time. Most important thing to me though is the preferred boarding (early boarding), as I am traveling on business, have my carry-on, and want it with me so I can depart the plane fast, not wait around for checked luggage, and get out to the customer. I see no problem rewarding those of us who have to deal with air travel frequently with this little perk - as long as they treat everyone like a valued customer. Ok, airlines/airport probably not the best example, but you get the drift.

Not appreciate any and all customers in this economy is simply stupid. And at that location, with other competitive choices reasonably close, it can be darn-near suicidal. They just need to work harder at figuring out a way to reward loyal customers without POing other customers. Like so many others in our society, they were lazy and now it has bit them in the behind. Good for you Joe, letting them know what happened. The Store Manager was wise calling you, but now he better perform!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Hmm. I would have spent over $1000 at Bass Pro last year, if the guy behind the firearms counter had not been rude when I asked to see the rifle of interest on the rack, as he walked past me. True, he was the only guy behind that counter at that time, and did proceed further along to a customer at the other end of the counter, but I made a note of the several employees who were goofing off with each other as I passed them on the way to the door. What ever happened to, "Sir, I am with a customer right now, but will have someone here with you in a moment." Or, just letting me know that he had to finish with another customer. He would not have even had to address me as "sir," even though I was almost old enough to be his father. Just common politeness is fine. (I have "disremembered" his words by now, but his dismissive manner and tone are remembered.)

The rifle I wanted to see was a planned purchase, to be a gift. I was ready to buy. Nobody else in town had that rifle in stock, so I went with another, non-firearm option. Even though I generally shop at a firearms dealer, not a big-box retailer, for firearms, I will, within reason, buy a firearm from a guy who can show it to me, rather than handle the weapon and then go to another dealer to place a special order.

FWIW, this was the Pearland, Texas store. (south of Houston; I live in Bellaire.)

The rifle was a Remington 7615, with a camo finish. My wife likes camo'ed weapons.

I will say that the guys at the Bass Pro in Katy have been personable and polite.

Cabela's definitely IS a better place to shop for outdoors stuff! Even though the Buda, Texas store is three hours away, I go there periodically, during my trips to the Austin area to go to GT Distributors, a really cool bicycle shop named Mellow Johnny's, or several other places in the area.

Seems to me this Preferred Customer thing is a chicken-and-egg proposition. It may be nice to be a Preferred Customer, but you have to make me want to do business with you in the first place.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Joe, your feelings equal mine. I have made my one and only trip to Bass Pro. It should be called "Bass UnPro". The store closest to me is about 55 miles distant, in Manteca, CA. I have never met such know-it-alls in my entire adult life. I found them to not be knowledgeable, yet very condescending and defensive, especially when cornered making a totally incorrect statement. Just listening to the "gun experts" made want to puke. I walked out without a purchase and very definitely WILL NOT BE BACK.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Who's fault was it that the employees were not adequately trained?
Yours?
Or the management of the store?
A poor excuse, but at least he called you.

I'm a Cabela's (or local if I can find it) guy anyway.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:When I'm treated shabbly at a store, I don't "stew" on it. I get a name and go right to the manager with it. If the store manager is not helpful, the district manager will get a call shortly. Names, places and dates. Times are bad enough that stores really don't want unhappy customers talking on forums about them :wink:
This is my tact... There is always a supervisor somewhere up the chain who cares about the business. If there isn't you sure don't want to go there!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rifleman152000
Levergunner

Post by rifleman152000 »

I live 1.5 miles from a new bass pro. I live 20 miles from a new cabela's. After two attempts in the last year to purchase a firearm from bass pro and being treated rather rudely, i don't even want to step into the bass pro. Cabela's on the other hand has treated me quite well. and i have purchased 3 firearms from them in the last year, none from bass pro. The Cabela's here also has a much nicer selection and more knowlegable employee's. I will gladly drive the extra 18.5 miles. And Cabela's sells "black rifles". Bass Pro here will not carry them. Bass Pro can kiss it. I would rather buy from Wal-Mart than Bass Pro. And Bass Pro must really like the firearms they sell, because everyone else is so much cheaper, even Cabela's has better prices. I was excited when the new Bass Pro opened up. Now..... I wouldn't care if they closed their doors for good. Sorry for the rant.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

As someone who's been in both sales and gun sales (different things)....

I'm glad you got some resolution on the matter. There will always be the new guys who didn't get trained right (bad on the manager) or who just lack CS skills.

That said, I've been to the BP in San Antonio and treated respectfully and professionally while assisting my dad in getting his 62nd B-day gift (Beretta 92FS), which involved handling about a dozen guns. The guys behind the counter knew their stuff and knew when to talk and when NOT to talk, and didn't do the gunstore commando routine, especially as in my case, I knew more than they did. :)

I've also been to the BP in Grapevine, where they were generally competent but not nearly as helpful. The "take a ticket" gun counter was somewhat annoying, and in teh S.A store, showing my wife several rifles (she was shopping for a rifle) the young kid on the counter definitely gave the exasperated sigh "what I really have to work?" look.

I don't mind the preferred customer stuff, because in many cases it's deserved, but in your case, they were idiots.

That said, the Cabelas in Buda always treated me fairly well, and the gun-safe guy actually got me a discounted price on a safe that had just gone OFF sale that was still valid later.

And he didn't have to do that.
moosemike
Levergunner

Post by moosemike »

I live halfway between Bass Pro and Cabelas. I go to Cabelas once a month and Bass Pro probably twice a year. After this thread I may not even go that much.
"Said I didn't have a use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it"
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

The thing that irritates me about Cabela's is that I can't order items from their Store Ads. There are no Cabela's close to San Diego so going to a store isn't really an option. The way I figure since with all my catelog orders I end paying shipping why shouldn't I be able to get the items out of their Store ads with the addition of shipping.