Mossberg Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Mossberg Lever

Post by mikld »

I was looking through stuff on the back porch when I found an American Rifleman from Nov. '08. There's an article about the Mossberg 464 lever, and the impression from what is written is this is a pretty good rifle. But, I've read some storys/posts here about this gun as being no good, a junker, poorly made, etc. What's the latest fom owners of Mossberg 464 lever rifles, any improvements?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg Lever

Post by mescalero1 »

I like mine, it is the most comfortable to cycle at the shoulder lever action centerfire I own.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oops, sorry mistaken for a Mossberg 470
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Never owned or shot one, but they do just look like pot metal. :(
And they need to make them stronger so they can make it in say.....460 S&W. :mrgreen:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The one I saw looked very much like a decent TOY gun. I decided to pass.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

You might want to check this thread - reminded me the NRA Rifleman gun articles are no better than any other gun rags - there were other rags praising it also and the thing they all had in common was they all had a color add for the Mossberg 464.

MOSSBERG'S 464 REINCARNATION OF THE 94
viewtopic.php?t=7577

Gave me permanent immunity - I'll never buy another Mossberg of any kind.

:evil:
Last edited by OJ on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I enjoy mine quite a bit! It's a lot like a Winchester 94, but Mossberg has a round bolt on it. I've hot-rodded mine a little, re-chambered to Ackley Improved. Put a Skinner peep sight on it, too. Broke all of the sharp edges inside the receiver, improved feed and function substantially.

I had initial problems with breaking extractors, but the part has been improved now, and I no longer have had that issue. I did also break a barrel band screw. I probably have 650-700 rounds through mine now.