Who bought the 40-72?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Who bought the 40-72?

Post by Kansas Ed »

There was a long listed 1895 in 40-72 on GB that sold two days ago...any of our membership buy it? I know there was a few who were looking.

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Who bought the 40-72?

Post by Mike D. »

T'weren't me, but I do have another .33 Winchester in mind. If it happens it will be numero cinco. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Good luck on the '86 Mike...I think I saw which one it was :mrgreen: Wish I had the money myself...

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Inexpensive, so far, Ed. I'm not holding my breath, though. We'll see how the cow ate the cabbage tomorrow. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I let that '86 go 'cause the price was going higher than the no finish gun was actually worth. I don't suscribe to the idea that ALL 1886 Winchesters are worth mucho dinero.

I see that Joe Salter sold a .40-72 '95 in the past few days, but I failed to check out his "wares" in the past few weeks. Don't know what it sold for. Mea culpa. :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Tapaderas has had a 95 in 38-72 for a long time, but it is not the tapered octagon version. For me, the 40-72 and the 38-72 with tapered octagon barrels are the most desirable '95's.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Tapaderas seems kinda high on that, considering it doesn't letter...It would be a nice shooter though, especially with that bore condition. I agree, I like the oct. barrels, but trying to find one in those calibers is tough enough without putting extra constraints on it :wink:

Sorry you didn't get it Mike.

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I would consider those calibers only in a rapid taper octagon nickel steel barrel. They are hard to find and expensive. If I go to reno in a few weeks I might search for one, but will mostly be looking for late '86s in calibers and configurations that I do not have. Cabela's has my dream gun, but they aren't bargaining off their twice what the gun is REALLY worth. It's an EL in .50 EX and priced at $25K, down from $39K. Like me, they are dreaming. :shock:
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Sorry Mike - you're not going to find an octagon nickel steel barrel...no such thing on a 1895.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

cowboykell wrote:Sorry Mike - you're not going to find an octagon nickel steel barrel...no such thing on a 1895.
I thought your post was intriguing, so I whipped out the Madis book. He says that they were offered as "special order only for the 38 and 40 calibers"...so probably non existent in reality, though still possible. I'd hate to think what one of them would go for :shock:

Ed
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Both y'all are probably right, but, you never know with Winchester. They didn't much want to vary from the catalogued calibers, yet odd guns show up every now and then. Time and experience has told me that George really did not have all the answers.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My good friend Cimmeron Red has a stainless steel OCTAGON barrel on an 1894 (30 wcf) as these were not regular production items. Leroy Mertz has only seen one other in his days. I had this baby in my hands not too long ago and I tried to sneak it out of his house, but ole Reds kept a good eye on me.

I hear no oct. barrels were never made in 33 wcf but........it sure gives one a reason to keep looking.

Nickel steel was becoming regular issue after the turn of the century and it was Mike D. himself who educated me on that. While "nickel steel" was not stamped on the visible areas of black powder calibered barrels , it was stamped "mns" under the forend.-=--------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..