AAAARGH! AGE HAS SNUCK UP ON ME!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

AAAARGH! AGE HAS SNUCK UP ON ME!!!

Post by Old Ironsights »

Went out this AM to do an impromptu PT test.

I don't really "work out" too much - haven't really since leaving situations where other people were providing my calories (working out turns on a meth-head-like metabolisim) - but that didn't stop me from running a couple of 1/4 marathons in Spokane at 30 without any roadwork before hand.

This morning I got a gut cramp at 15 minutes :oops:

So, between 20 & 30 all is good, but ya hit 40 and it gets sucky? Grrrr.....:evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: AAAARGH! AGE HAS SNUCK UP ON ME!!!

Post by rangerider7 »

40, your still a kid. Wait till you hit 60. My sister says wait till you hit 70. My mother-in-law says wait till you hit 85. My uncle says wait till you hit 92. Keep active and live, laugh, and love each day, that's my new motto. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

It happens -- i dont think gut cramps are age specific though :lol:

I'm a competitive cyclist (putting it mildly) on the track (velodromes, not road racing) -- and the performance of some of the "old guys" is national caliber still, but they all report needing more recovery time and most abide by the "Train smarter, not longer" routine. Shorter high intensity workouts that are event specific give much more recovery time than doing tons of base miles along with it.
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rangerider7 wrote:40, your still a kid. Wait till you hit 60. My sister says wait till you hit 70. My mother-in-law says wait till you hit 85. My uncle says wait till you hit 92. Keep active and live, laugh, and love each day, that's my new motto. :)
Naaah, I'm just whining about how I may actually have to start training again rather than just let natural athleticisim work for me. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

[quote="Old Ironsights] Naaah, I'm just whining about how I may actually have to start training again rather than just let natural athleticisim work for me.[/quote]

:lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Train !!!!!! Who the heck needs to train? I already know how to do everything I want to do so, there's no need to train -- especially, running, and other physical things. I don't want to do most of that stuff anymore anyway so, I'll pass on any further training. I'm at that stage (65) where I like to sip a cold one and watch everyone else train.
ED
Yer never too old
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

50 is a bigger dividing line than 40, I have had to scale back the demands I put on my body. I actually do as much or more as I used to, but I do it slower.

My main trouble seems to be oxygen absorption, the lungs don't seem as efficient as they were, so the blood/heart need time to catch up. I have sworn off hunting with these young bucks that want to make it a race and get it over with as soon as possible.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As my physician once told me: "getting older is not for wimps".... :lol:
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

As my 88 year old Grandfather said to me "getting old sucks...but it beats the alternative, all to hell". Yep! He was smart like that. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

after back and knee surgery last year, I'm slowly getting back to training. I run ultramarathons for fun, 50 milers and I would like to do a 100 miler. I'm 50 now. I started back to training after the back surgery and took a wrong step and that led to my knee surgery. I have been doing some long hiking to build the strength, sometimes, 20+ miles a day. a couple of weeks ago, i started back with the light running. so far so good. Should be ready to go by spring barring any injury. I can empathize with the natural talent not being enough. Less muscle mass and more weight is not a good combo. Inspired by a few of you on this board, I'm watching what i eat, exercising again with intentionality and hopefully the excess weight will shed now that I am running again. good luck with your running. 40 is not so bad. neither is 50. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Fortunately the "more weight" isn't a problem for me. Unfortunately the Metabolisim that keeps it from being a problem when I don't do jack all day also becomes a big financial liability when I start working out doing more than Aikido/Isometrics.

I expect the family food budget to double with regular PT...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Old Ironsights wrote: So, between 20 & 30 all is good, but ya hit 40 and it gets sucky? Grrrr.....:evil:
You think it's "sucky now!" Just wait until you pass 50!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

old? hmmmmmmmmmmm...lemme see...

i remember the end of WWII when my dad came home from it...

i remember seeing REAL cavalry, on REAL horses at ft riley ks as a kid...

i remember when there was little to NO TV...

i remember "party line" fones...

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...i am old
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rangerider7 wrote:40, your still a kid. Wait till you hit 60. My sister says wait till you hit 70. My mother-in-law says wait till you hit 85. My uncle says wait till you hit 92. Keep active and live, laugh, and love each day, that's my new motto. :)
Had a patient last year who said something about that "lazy no good son in law of mine..." and said he was too young to know anything. Since the patient was in his mid-90's, I figured I'd ask how old his blankety-blank son in law was - he thought a minute and said "72 or 73 I guess; people that age just haven't a CLUE..." For the rest of the visit, I tried to look as 'old' as I could... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

+1 except it is my step-mother who says "wait until you hit 92" :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

40 *sigh* quitcherbellyachin' :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Neil Armstrong on jogging, in an interview with Walter Cronkite

I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm darned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

In all fairness, your body's warranty pretty much expires at 40. Remember, not that long ago 40 was old old.

Now we live longer, but only because life's a whole lot easier.

Me? I've been going downhill from 35. The world is not built for tall people.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I can't go a quarter mile without stopping to suck wind and I'm 25. I have one of those 'use it or lose it' kind of bodies. Back when I was running every other day and playing all kinds of sports and lifting weights every other day as well, I was able to do much more. I can remember being a 6'4" gangely 15yr old that weighed 175lb dripping wet and bench pressing 215lb and running miles at a time with out stopping.

Oh to be young again. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Okay, it's the age too! :(
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

40? Dude, You have got to get back in the saddle again.Start slow but START! Think about this? Doing say 3 sets of Benches takes what (not counting the rest between what 6mins)get the Perfect Pushup just like benching except your facing the floor instead of the ceiling.(do 3 sets/3 times a week)==18mins.Next use the Heavy Duty Power Bands(do alternate days 3 sets/3 times a week)===another 18 mins.
The resting you cant count because you can watch the news in between.For the Perfect Pushup and Bands together the cost is maybe $39

Now if you can afford one get the Schwinn Evolution Comp indoor trainer($600?)http://www.teamstore.com/largeImage/ind ... 2013dt.jpg
Its a quality machine to last a lifetime.$600 is really nothing if it prevents all the stuff that being out of shape can cost you.Meds/Doctor visits/feeling like stuff etc.That Evolution Comp Machine is is what a lot of the Hospitals have in the Physical therapy centers. For that quality of a pro machine its cheap/not like your spending $6K on a commercial Precor eleptical? Anyway Do 20 mins. 2-3 times a week.Say twice a week to start---Tues/Fri etc.
So lets see? 18+18+40=76mins a week (1hr and 16 min)even if you still eat the same as now you will start reshaping your body.
Your in the prime of life----give er a go! But check with your Doctor before starting(that part is just covering my butt)But truthfully within 8 weeks you should be rocking and rolling!
Our Evolution Comp is 10 years old/gets aprox 10hrs@week use on it and we have replaced nothing except 3--9V batteries.Not even the Drive Belt yet.Just spray the chain twice a year! Its unreal! Mostly the wife and daughter use it daily, as I like my cannondales and the outdoors,but I do also use it quite a bit! Good Luck!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You must be easy to sneak up on if 40 got ya! :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :roll: :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OS, thats funny right there :lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Everyone underestimates weight training. It will keep age at bay and you can continue to get stronger pretty much as long as you have the zest for it. Build your 'furnace' so to speak, with muscle and healthy years will beckon. For instance, I just turned 50 a couple months back and 17 days later hit a new PR (personal record) close grip bench press of 402lbs. Running wears our bodies out but weight training along with walking is very near to the fountain of youth!

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

402lbs @ 50! That is very good! How big are you? I agree, your strength stays with you if keep with the lifting! for those that dont lift presently they can double their strength pretty quick!
Its been a few years since benching over 400lbs for me(I go wide grip)since I stick with higher reps now.Right now after warmup I do (1 set)35 reps @150lbs (1 set)16 reps@260lbs (1 set) 7 reps@315lbs (easy between days I do 4 sets of 70 reps of elavated body weight using the Perfect Pushup item.They are great for traveling too. I tend to not go much heavier because I have aquired a bad habit when going really heavy of lifting my head up off the bench while completing a VERY HEAVY bench press(do it without thinking) and straining my neck muscles some.Also when going for the "big singles" I somtimes get elbow joint aches? Where I shine is flys/preacher curls/leg extensions.As strong as ever there!
I bench real wide grip because I am six feet four inches (weigh@ 235)
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I'm not near as tall as you, madman :shock: I'm 5'11" and 240lbs. And I'm a high rep man myownself! My lifting partner is the one rep guy, he's 5'9" and 270lbs. We use a fairly close grip on our 'wide' grip bench press, little fingers just touching the power ring on a Texas Powerbar, about 23" between our thumbs. Our close grip is about 16"-17" between thumbs.

It was only about 3 years ago that we learned that to build a bigger bench (something that has been tough for me) that we needed volume. The exact opposite as squats and deads which need 7 and 14 days rest respectively. Once we cranked up our volume our benches started going up. Its kind of hard to explain in just a few paragraphs but we use the 6 week Russian cycle quite a bit, and by the way, everything we do is 'raw', we don't like all the gear PLers today use. A low volume day in the close grip would look somewhat like yours, bar for 20, 135x20, 225x25, 275x15, 315x10, 350x5. But the russian cycle has us benching 3X per week, 2 heavy 1 light 1 week, 2 light and 1 heavy the next and so on. Working on percentages and not more than 6 sets of 6, very heavy.

In my early years my elbows complained, but in the past 10 years no problem at all :? Don't know why. We generally tend to do close grips and heavy dips for a year or so and then regular bench and militaries for a year or so. I don't like to bench as often as my partner so much of the time I'll just do a couple singles every now and then after close gripping though it always feels a bit odd. A couple weeks ago I surprised myself and handled a 430 single after my heavy CG's I still squat and deadlift though more front squats and TBDL's, I do very little single joint work instead focusing on compound work instead and that saves my elbow joints and knees.

I agree that folks here would benefit beyond their wildest dreams if they were to start lifting. I've trained folks in their 70's and they are only held back by their brains, not their bodies for the most part. Good to talk weight lifting with you, madman! BTW, how old are you?

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Awesome stuff.Lot of useful info you gave me! I have always loved
lifting weights since about 12.There is just somthing about looking at those big plates and lifting them.I had a huge custom weight cage built with a special bench and a hydralic jacking system made so that if you are lifting by yourself and get stuck at the safety bars you just press the panic button with your toe and the bench sinks 8"-10" and you just slide out.The guy that custom built it engineered the cage/bars,holders to stand over 5000lbs.Its crazy overkill I know but :roll: along with this I have 1300lbs of Olympic bumper plated weights and also 2 custom plates that were made at American Bridge Corp.that weigh 140Lbs each.Quick way to get 325lbs.Anyway I love weight lifting because theres no excuses,pure and simple here it is lets see, who has got what.But more than that, its the feeling of just being strong! I get a kick out of it somtimes,here is an example,last month we rented a place for my daughters graduation party.Anyway the place forgot to pack the Half Keg of beer(for the older people :D )with ice and this keg was sitting down in this deep fancy wooden bar box.So a couple young bucks said we will pull it out while my brother in law got ice.They reached down and for the life of them they could not pull her out.
So I swigged down the glass of not to cold beer and said--move back you guys bent down grabbed her and easily pulled it out myself holding it up while they packed the box with ice and without effort set it back in.Now these friends of my daughter were 19 and good size guys but?????????? I am 52????????Thats why I still lift.
I think its like you say its the fountain of youth.I try to get in 75-120 miles a week on my cannondale after working work to just unwind. Now for just turning 52 I feel fantastic. Everyone has always told me I look 10 years younger than I am????? :roll: But truthfully until I was around 27 I was always carded at a bar.I think working out plays a major roll.Honest I still feel about 25(mentally,my wife says more like 18 :lol: )Anyway because I was the youngest of 3 boys,the older brothers at a young age(they were 3 and 6 years older)used to always have me doing things and competeing against them.I must be insecure!I have always really loved martial arts/lifting weights/and guns! See what they created! buy the time I was 19 they really gave me a wide birth because they knew who could rock who!Also already had my black belt then which might have helped.Anyway so much for my going on about my boring life stories,hey thanks so much for your knowledge,it sounds like you guys really got it going on! Keep on pumping!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

You are lucky you started at 12! I sure wish I had. Instead, I didn't get started lifting until in my 30's. I've lifted in racks somewhat like you are talking about. The best thing for a guy lifting at home alone. But something like what you are talking about is COOL! I too love the clang of the weights and always marveled about the difference in sounds between 2 plates, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 forty fives. Just neat 8)

That cool about the keg, that is something we incorporate in our lifting, odd object. Big stones, we have a keg about 7/8 full that weighs 160lbs that we clean and press, also lift and flip logs :roll: :mrgreen:

We just lift in my partners garage, we have about 1000lbs of weights, a texas squat bar, texas power bar, Ironmind buffalo bar, trapbars, a 2 1/2" thickbar and a few other things. But just one squat rack and a bench station. We get 'er all done in a 12'x18' area!

Stay strong!

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've suffered from what are generally thought of as "old age" ailments and pains since I was 25, so that's nothing new. The real indication that "I'm getting old" came last summer;

In the past when I got in my car in the summer I'd do the hot car dance.... "ooooh.. dang... man that's hot!" Last summer I noticed the change. Now when I get in the car in the summer I sit there going... "Ahhh... man that feels good." :roll:
Slow is just slow.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :D