ot-not a colt, but

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

ot-not a colt, but

Post by pokey »

it's my new belly gun. when i grow up i might get
a few colt revolvers but for now i'll play with rugers.
bellygun1.JPG
bellygun2.JPG
found this in a local toy store. had them hold it for
a week, to try and talk myself out of it. didn't work,
so 300 and some change later, she is resting peacefully
at home. have not shot any yet but will correct that
this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Re: ot-not a colt, but

Post by Ysabel Kid »

cool! 8)
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

+1
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Very nice!
details?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

nice `un.bj
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

screaming deal for a Ruger ! Good job --- those bird head grips command a premium in my neck of the woods and are usually around 550-600 . Even the Uberti is at least 450
----- Doug
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Nice, whats the caliber?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very cool.
ED
Yer never too old
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

That's one of the "Last cowboy" models; it shoulda brought over $700! SMOKIN' deal! MY Sheriff's model Birdshead is my favorite to carry.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good snag and smart move. :wink: I love it when someone buys American quality. :D Being a Teamster might have something to do with it.-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Travis Morgan wrote:That's one of the "Last cowboy" models; it shoulda brought over $700! SMOKIN' deal! MY Sheriff's model Birdshead is my favorite to carry.
Wait, I misspoke; they suck! I'll give you your $300 back, lol.

Normal to moderately heavy loads are alright in these guns, but once you get much over 20 gr. of H-110 and a 250 gr. bullet, they get a little brutal on the shooter's hand. The gripframe screws bear watching, too, as they'll shoot real loose after one cylinder of heavy loads, then shear off.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:That's one of the "Last cowboy" models; it shoulda brought over $700! SMOKIN' deal! MY Sheriff's model Birdshead is my favorite to carry.
Wait, I misspoke; they suck! I'll give you your $300 back, lol.

Normal to moderately heavy loads are alright in these guns, but once you get much over 20 gr. of H-110 and a 250 gr. bullet, they get a little brutal on the shooter's hand. The gripframe screws bear watching, too, as they'll shoot real loose after one cylinder of heavy loads, then shear off.
now i've committed myself, i can't give up. thanks for trying to rescue me though.
she's a .357 so 20 gr of anything and a 250gr pill would probly put me out of action. :lol:

i shot this little beauty this weekend, i like her alot. if i do my part, i can break clay
birds at 45yds [sittin not flyin]. :D i find the grip very comfy with the moderate loads i
favor. this is the first birds head i've shot, i'm pleasantly surprised.
thinking about looking for a stainless birds head grip frame for my other vaq.
oh both my vaqueros are old models, including this one. :roll:

hope the colors don't wipe off like mm93 warned of on another post.

i'm a fairly happy camper.

BUY AMERICAN

pokey

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I've finally found a .357 load I like. The max. load Hodgdon lists for H-110 and a 125 gr. JHP actually has enough thump to be interesting. Be sure to wear adequate hearing protection; that's my other gripe about .357's. They're too darned loud.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

should always wear hearing protection lest u end up like me with 0 hearing left,partial hearing right ear.Even the crack of a .22 is enough to damage those little cilia in ur ear and then voila--no mo hearin.bj
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

That should go without saying; this load is just particularly loud.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Travis Morgan wrote:That should go without saying; this load is just particularly loud.
"LOUD" is what the .357 does best.

Wouldn't particularly want to get shot with one, but the ol' .357 just never showed me much. Not enough bullet diameter or weight for what I may need to get done with a 6-gun, and gun-for-gun, a .357 will weigh more and be more muzzle-heavy than one of its bigger-bore cousins... All for what...? More noise?

Back in my salad days, I had to have one -- a Colt SAA with 7 1/2" barrel. Shot it until it nearly fell apart (over 400,000 rounds) and my hearing began to suffer, then rebarreled it, with matching Colt barrel & cylinder, to .44 Spl. and never looked back. Shot that combination until it got boring, then moved on to .45 Colt guns as my mainstays.

Great for cops who can still pack a revolver, and really neat in a suitable levergun, but for most chores for which folks would pick a .357, I find better use from my .22 WMRs.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The only advantages I see to the .357 are the weight savings on ammo, and the fact that it'll pretty much do the same job as a .30-30 out of a 16" barrel.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:That should go without saying; this load is just particularly loud.
"LOUD" is what the .357 does best.

Wouldn't particularly want to get shot with one, but the ol' .357 just never showed me much. Not enough bullet diameter or weight for what I may need to get done with a 6-gun, and gun-for-gun, a .357 will weigh more and be more muzzle-heavy than one of its bigger-bore cousins... All for what...? More noise?

Back in my salad days, I had to have one -- a Colt SAA with 7 1/2" barrel. Shot it until it nearly fell apart (over 400,000 rounds) and my hearing began to suffer, then rebarreled it, with matching Colt barrel & cylinder, to .44 Spl. and never looked back. Shot that combination until it got boring, then moved on to .45 Colt guns as my mainstays.

Great for cops who can still pack a revolver, and really neat in a suitable levergun, but for most chores for which folks would pick a .357, I find better use from my .22 WMRs.
this sounds alot like, you can't kill a deer with a 30-30, you need what i use the 500 loudenboomer.
try and appreciate it for what it is. a cute little single action that handles nice and shoots good for me.
probly isn't close enough for you to hear when i shoot it anyway

thanks, pokey

"BECAUSE I CAN"