OT: Browning A-Bolt shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Browning A-Bolt shotgun

Post by jjames »

I am thinking about getting one of these shotguns for deer hunting. I note that while in production there was both a full rifled barrel and a smooth bore with a screw in rifled choke available. These things seem to be scarce as hen's teeth and the one I see on GunBrokers ihas the screw in chokes. Any opinions on the comparitive accuracy of the full rifled barrel vs the screw in rifled chokes would be appreciated as well as experienced overall opinion on this gun.

Thanks
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I always wanted one of those. Right when all the real nice rifled shotguns came out was when I started handgun hunting full time.
Slow is just slow.
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

buddy who lives in a shotgun only area of the states swears by them. Says there the best slug guns that were ever made.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have the smoothbore with screw in choke, it shoots as good as any of my fully rifled hastings barrels, Ive never shot the A-bolt with fully rifled barrel,......... BUT I WANT ONE!!!!!!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The fellows at Dixie Slugs use two kinds of shotguns for their testing. Either a NEF or a Remington 870 with a Hastings barrel.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback. I could afford what I see with screw in chokes but figure I should wait until I run across a fully rifled barrel. I am seeing the rifle barreled versions going for 2X the screw in choke versions. Just can't see paying $2150 plus for a rifle I will use occassionally. There looks to be a pretty fair deal on a screw in choke version with a scope on Gunbroker. Bid is at I believe $905 Reserve Met but with a day and a half to go that is pretty meaningless. A new Savage 210F at half the price maybe the route I go. Feedback I have seen has been pretty good so far on the Savage.