Another OT about muzzleloaders...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Another OT about muzzleloaders...

Post by mklwhite »

I'm having a heck of a time trying to hunt down a 40 cal that doesn't break the bank. I was looking at having an underhammer made (blue grouse) but I wrote them a couple of times without reply and now their website seems to be down so they might be gone. Any other leads?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another OT about muzzleloaders...

Post by Rusty »

How about a T/C Hawken with a drop in Green Mountain barrel?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Define "Break the Bank"..?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I guess I should have thought about the Green Mountain angle. I had thought about it for my traditions, but when I was told that they don't make a drop in for my Traditions Springfield Hawken I guess I dismissed other possibilities. As far as break the bank... with me it would be about $500. I guess I have a small bank. :oops:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I haven't seen many underhammers out and about...you'd probably have a time finding one. The GM barrel on a T/C sounds like a good way to go, and you could switch back as needed. I think my gunshop has a 40 cal. T/C Hawken setup like that that has been sitting there for a good while.

If money wasn't too big a deal....a 40 Tenn. flinter would be hard to beat in terms of style and accuracy. A kit is available from Tennessee Valley Manf. for under 400 bucks, but then you gotta build it. :wink: If caps somehow become unobtainable, a flinter makes even more sense.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yeah, that's too bad about Blue Grouse... they had some really interesting stuff.

I think you can buy UH actions on the net. For some reason the only real following they have is with Builders. Gunbuyers just don't really see interested.

Sad, really. OTOH, compared to all other actions, the UH is the EASIEST to build, so, there you are.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

$500

I suggest purchasing a used TC Renegade and getting a green mountain barrel to drop into it as mentioned. I think you'll be good with a model in 45 or 50 caliber for the lock/stock.

Are you going for a quick-twist/conical bullet shooter? Or is this a slow-twist round ball shooter?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

mklwhite,

OK, don't know if you'd be interested but my gun dude here has a T/C Renegade with a 2 barrel, 2 lock set for 450.00. It has a 40 Green Mountain Barrel with accompanying percussion lock, and I believe a 54 T/C barrel and Flintlock. So, you can change out barrels and locks as needed. I don't know how much the 40 GM has been shot(he said it had been shot some) but the outside looks new and no abuse. I asked the shop owner to send me pics and if you shoot me an email I can send you pictures. I am at cashfam5@comcast.net
I am not connected to this gun in any way other than walking by it all the time and thinking, "that would be neat to have."
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

I don't think .40 get much better than this.

Post by Bruce in WV »

This one is right at your limit, but there will be others...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128649545
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That was a coincidence! That is the same guy that I deal with Bruce. I was having a face to face with him not 3 hours ago and the guy with the rifle set I described in the post above yours. He's good people as is his wife. Either deal I would not have reservations at all. Not that I am anybody, but I do buy alot in his shop, you can drop my name...Chris Cash.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

O.S.O.K. - I'm a round ball kind of guy for the most part. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment but I do like the "old school" feel.

C. Cash - That is tempting, but I don't have the money just yet. (I get an bonus from my job if I keep my continuing education credits up.) So I am looking now to try to know then. It should be coming soon, but soon enough? I have sent an email off though... just in case. :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

For some reason, their email/pics did not make it through to me. Neither did your email.....think something is up with my account. I'll see what I can do to get the pics they took yesterday.

Edit: Got the pics of the other rifle. Try me at cashfam5@comcast.com
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

C.Cash Sent the email last night. Let me know if it doesn't make it. Thanks again.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

That TC above sounds like a right fine deal to me. I've been told that a .40cal Green Mtn on a Renegage is a bit heavy, but I may have to find out for myself. :) I know that I really like the .54cal Green Mtn I have on my renegage, its a real shooter.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've been on the run but will download the photos tonight to my photobucket and post them. For some reason my email is not recieving. It's nice looking.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

mklwhite,
here's a nice looking .40. A little over your bank breaking number, but it looks sharp.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthre ... ost1164232
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

mav wrote:mklwhite,
here's a nice looking .40. A little over your bank breaking number, but it looks sharp.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthre ... ost1164232
Than is one nice looking rifle. Looks like I should have started eating more PB&Js a while back and saved some additional gun money.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Tried the email but to no avail. See how these post.

It is 450.00 from the same guys as Bruce's post. It is 54 Flint and 40 Percussion, interchangable.