What would be the most difficult gun for you to replace?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

What would be the most difficult gun for you to replace?

Post by rangerider7 »

For what ever reason.
"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What would be the most difficult gun for you to replace?

Post by mescalero1 »

My 6.5-06
bought as a complete gun, because it was cheaper than an action alone.
Barrel & stock sold for other guns.

Threaded & hand chambered by me.
Choate ultimate sniper stock
sent to Blackstar Accurizing for cryogenic relief of metal after all machine work done.
Bolt hand lapped.
It's mine, & it scares me.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

The German Luger 9mm that my dad took off a dead German officer in Sept 1944 in France. It's complete with holster and a small shrapnel hole in holster that I actually dug the small shard of shrapnel out of the other side of the holster. Dad's been gone almost 11 years. I had him write the story to go with the pistol. He was very proud to have served with the 3rd Infantry Division. It would be impossible to ever replace that gun and the story that goes with it. BELIEVE me, I guard that baby and his other war stuff well!!!

Geoff
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

16x16 over 9.3x72R Drilling from about 1910 Austria....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have a Iver Johnson 410 break action single barrel that was my great granddads.He was born in Kansas
at the turn of the century.His dad gave it to him for his 14 birthday and he carried it while on cattle drives..
The gun is not worth much in money but its got alot of feeling for me...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

TEXAS LONGHORN ARMS SKEETER SKELTON COMMEMORATIVE, SERIAL NUMBER SS6, [ OF SEVEN MADE...]
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My father's service revolver. Sure, I could get another S&W Model 19, but it wouldn't be his.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

My Dad's Winchester 88. Like Ysabel Kid said,I could get another but it wouldn't be his. Besides whenever I take it hunting I always feel like he's around so there's not enough gold in Fort Knox to buy it.
TxHunter
Levergunner

Post by TxHunter »

My dad's Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight . Dad passed away in 1978 and will never buy another to pass down
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

My old Raetzel german drilling 16/16/8x57IR will never leave my cabinet. It is about hundred years old, and as light and pointable as a fine shotgun. Most modern drillings are like a iron bar attached to a piece of a plank, but that old one knows how to bag flying birds.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

probably my Win 94 Legacy in .357. It's a great gun (thick round barrel) and it's my understanding it would be quite a wait to see one on Gunbroker.

All my guns are recent vintage and not rare, so that would be the toughest one for me.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't have any yet that were passed down from family or have any other sentimental value. So I reckon it would be hard for me to replace my Krieghoff double rifle only because of the dollars involved. Next hardest would be my Pre-64 Mod 70 375 H&H.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FAMILY/heirloom guns. Irreplaceable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Remington 552-GS Gallery Special ....rare enough that it's not listed in the Blue Book.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

1926 WINCHESTER MODEL 92 IN 38-40...
SIMPLY JUST CANT AFFORD TO BY THEM ANYMORE..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Low 4,000's serial numbered model 71 deluxe my dad bought originally, and gave to me in 1962. He carried it all over the Donner Summit area of Northern California in the middle to later 40's, and killed many mule deer with it. Most beautiful wood I ever saw on a 71, priceless to me.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

1895 Winchester in 40-72. Looked for years for that caliber.

Ed
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It would probably be my old S&W 2nd Model American in 44 Russian caliber, shipped in 1873.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

My "sporterized" U. S. Model 1917 Rifle in of course .30-06 with Williams Ramp Front Sight Base with Marbles insert and Redfield 70-R Receiver Sight.
ED
Yer never too old
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Grandfather's pre-64 Model 70 250-3000.
It's match in .257 Roberts was stolen from uncle's home many
years ago and have yet to replace it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think at this time, all my firearms could be replaced. The most difficult would be the Midland side by side just because of its age and condition. 86er restored her to life and I really enjoy using her in the field. My dad passed no firearms down to me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

My Fa 454 6 inched Scoped and my 454 FA 4 3'4.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Kirk, that S&W has a "way cool" 8) factor...hows it shoot?

Ed
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

The Remington 1100 my dad left for me. And his hunting gloves that he had made from the hide of the first deer he ever shot. Yes---those two items would be impossible to replace. Tom.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a Savage solid framed 1899..30 WCF with octagon barrel... I see lot's of 1899's ...some in 30-30 but not too may Octagons in 30-30.. so I fugure it's would be hard to replace.

My dads guns got stolen from his house 20 years ago...I am still miffed about that.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I own no guns with family history, or anything like that, but to replace one would cost me MANY times more than I paid for any of them. None are irreplacable, but I don't have to cash to replace a .45-90 Extra Lightweight TD '86 any time soon. Maybe the 1/2 Oct LWTD .38-56 would be a tough one, too. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Maybe this Sharps four barrel Derringer - given to me by a grateful patient - 308 cartridge for size perspective -

Or maybe this H&R Handy Gun .410 pistol - NFA registered and no way to possess an unregistered one today -

Dunno where I could find a replacement for this beauty Winchester 95 in 30-06 -

Well - if a guy has to have problems - this is the best kind of problem to have -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Wow OJ Those are NICE! A gun shop here in town has the twin to Your H&R Handy gun displayed on the wall..He won't sell it either.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I haven't had any guns handed down to me from my family even though my mother's side where all hunters as well as my dad. My dad had a Remington 1100 that he bird hunted with but I bought it for him when I first got a full time job. He had always borrowed my uncles shotguns to hunt with. I handed it down to my son when my dad died. My wife's dad had a Colt SAA he carried on a cattle drive but his son has it. It will eventually go to my son. So I guess this Colt SAA would be the most difficult for me to replace because it was my first nice Colt SAA in my collection. I couldn't afford to buy one like it now. It would also be hard to replace this 1873 Winchester sporting rifle because of it's condition. It's about 85%.

This is a historical 1842 Springfield Musketoon, so I guess I must include it. We never can seem to pick just one. :wink:

"That'll Be The Day"
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

GEOFF wrote:He was very proud to have served with the 3rd Infantry Division.
Audie Murphy's outfit. Did your father know Murphy, by any chance? (Not to hijack the thread...)
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Wow OJ Those are NICE! A gun shop here in town has the twin to Your H&R Handy gun displayed on the wall..He won't sell it either.
Thanks for the kind words the interesting thing to me is that, if you spend enough money and effort, you are legally able to buy a machine gun but, in all their wisdom, today, if anyone possesses an unregistered Handy Gun, there is no legal way to register it - and the fine is $10,000!!!

It is less weapon than "The Judge" - which is a revolver chambered for 3" - shells but the Handy Gun - being single shot and chambered only for 2 1/2" shells they consider a worse weapon. The difference - would you believe it - is that the "Judge" has a rifled barrel.

:twisted:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

--- cannot replace my dad's model 94 , even if it is a rather mundane Ranger model. But in reality, a quick trip to GB and a fresh credit card could get me several duplicates of his easily enough. His 20 gauge Model 50 shotgun would be a bit harder to replace

Other than those 2, the rest can be duplicated fairly easilly with a little patience and a paid up AMEX. Sadly, most of my firearms are not very unique, but i like 'em anyway. The political climate makes my Springfield GI model hard to come by, but thats a temporary thing.
----- Doug
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Kansas Ed wrote:Kirk, that S&W has a "way cool" 8) factor...hows it shoot?

Ed
Ed, I've not much experience shooting six guns, but I think it shoots very well. I shot only one 5-shot group at 25 yards, with the gun resting on a sandbag and got a 2 & 5/8" group. I'm sure a more experienced shooter could do better, or if I had more practice. Recently, I've started practicing the fast draw and shoot and been very surprised at how well it shoots this way as well. I find that the long, 8" barrel acts as a pointer to the target almost as soon as it enters my peripheral vision with my eyes focused on the target. As the gun sweeps up and forward there is an instant when it just seems natural to fire and that point just happens to be right on target. It must be something about the combination of the feel of the gun, its long barrel and the sense that it is converging on target, even though it is moving rapidly.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have My grandfathers Colt 1911 .45ACP that He carried in France in WW1. And My Dad's Springfield 86-C .22 that he was given in 1937. Dad had his foot cut off in a farm accident and a local Doctor worked on Him for 10 hours in his office,reattached His foot (40 years later in the hospital the surgeons could not believe it) and He went on to lead a normal life even playing semi-pro baseball after WW 2. My Grandfather and Uncle Stan split the $30.00 cost as it was a lot of money in 1937,they got Dad the .22 to take His mind off of the injury.No amount of money could replace them.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Early A Grade A.H. Fox side-by-side, 12 gauge, restored years ago by Savage Arms. Re-stock with beautiful walnut, re-case-hardened action and fore-end irons. Two fore-ends; one splinter, one beaver-tail. Three sets of barrels; 28-inch skeet 1 and skeet 2 boring, 30-inch modified and full boring, and 32-inch full and full boring. Double triggers, non-ejector. There is a similar 20 gauge out there some place. I couldn't afford to buy them both at the time; sometime in the early 60's. Bought from a gentleman from Los Angeles. I believe both the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge graced the cover of Guns Magazine some time before I bought the 12 gauge.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I must admit that my eyes get watery reading some of the posts above. They sure convince me that I am in the right place seeing others express their feelings about special frearms. For me it is my 1890 win wrf. My grandfather purchased the gun from a farmer in the early 1920s while driving his Reo across the country with his wife and kids. Apparently he was quite a shot because he shot rabbits on the run with it sitting in the driver's seat. He later took the gun on several expeditions to Central America collecting for the San Diego Zoo. My father used it in the 30s goat hunting on Catalina Is. He took a fall with it and broke the butt stock. My grandfather made a new stock and did a fine job of it. In those days if you broke something you fixed it. It was my first real gun, that is enough alone to qualify for this thread. I had a first class restoration done on it about ten years ago. They wanted to replace the butt stock but I said no way. I moved from New Mexico to Tennessee about a year ago and most of my guns were stolen from a storage facility including the 1890. I am the luckiest *** that ever walked the planet, they were all recovered. The guy who took them got busted for something else that was serious enough for the police to get a warrant to search his home. While conducting the search they found a pile of pawn tickets. The officer who I have never been able to thank thought it was interesting enough to check out what was pawned. When he found out they were firearms he ran the numbers through the stolen gun data base and they got a match on one. Why the others didn't match I will never know but all were in the data base. To make a long story short it was a pain to get them back but finally I got some help from a state senator and then things went smoothly. As I write this I am glancing over at it mounted on my office wall. I think I'll take it down now and cycle the action a couple of times.

Dave
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For me it's a H&R 949 that my granddad gave to me 1 month before he died. It was his brothers carry/snake gun while bummin around in Nevada. Still in great shape due to the padded full flap holster that it was carried in for it's whole life.

LK
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No heirlooms in my safes, but I guess my Hepburn project rifle would be the one I'd have the toughest time replacing, as it's got so much of my own blood and sweat into it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

Mine would be my dads Sears 16 guage single shot AKA Stevens 95. I remember being with him and my maternal grandfaughter when he bought it, other than going to church with them it was the first "man thing"I remember doing with the 2 of them. This might explain why I've always liked buying guns.I beleive it was the first brand new gun he ever had and it was the only gun he owned until we bought a Marlin 336 together in 1976 so he could go deer hunting with me. This was also the first gun I ever shot an animal with the next year when I was 8, a groundhog that was raiding my mothers tomatoes another very clear memory. The Marlin is the second most difficult.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

Mine would be my dads Sears 16 guage single shot AKA Stevens 95. I remember being with him and my maternal grandfaughter when he bought it, other than going to church with them it was the first "man thing"I remember doing with the 2 of them. This might explain why I've always liked buying guns.I beleive it was the first brand new gun he ever had and it was the only gun he owned until we bought a Marlin 336 together in 1976 so he could go deer hunting with me. This was also the first gun I ever shot an animal with the next year when I was 8, a groundhog that was raiding my mothers tomatoes another very clear memory. The Marlin is the second most difficult.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Excluding family firearms (none of which are spectacular, just special :wink: ) the only thing that comes to mind is my Rhineland Arms R22. IIRC there were probably less than 5000 made.

Everything else (including the R22 I suppose) is just a matter of time and money which is another set of issues altogether... :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

At last an easy one. Artillery Luger with wooden holster that dad brought back after WWII. Absolutely pristine. It's the only piece I don't shoot on a regular basis. Now the P-38 he brought back sees regular trips to the range.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I feel compelled to also list this 1888 model of the Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 (made in 1890 and was issue model for the Spanish-American War) - not that it's rare but, it was given to me by a great uncle who also gave me a Hepburn #3 Target Model 45-70 with 1/2 octagonal barrel I don't have a picture of.

He also gave me my first horse when I was about 5 years old - horse was 20 - and taught me how to be a working cowboy - which I was until I turned 16 and parents moved to the city then - :D

I never knew - or asked - why he chose me to get his guns - he had three sons of his own - but I guess I was special to him - as he was to me.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Here lately I get all watery eyed when thinking about posts like this. My dad left me his Remington 725 in .280 Remington. He bought it the first year for both (I think 1958). He put on a JC Higgins 6X scope (made by Weaver for Sears and Roebuck). Took it to the Dallas Gun Club and sighted it in with the help of an old timer who was a retired Army Officer. He wrote the info on 3 different factory loads including trajectory out to 400 yards. I also have that card. He killed many whitetail, Rio Grande turkeys (mom cooked 2 every Thanksgiving), coyotes and no telling what else with it....he killed his last deer with it in 1992...he passed away in 1996. It is going to be my son's hunting rifle this year. When I got my first hi-power rifle as a present from my wife in 1988 he gave her the advice to buy a 30-06 (Remington bolt action of course). Told her the shells would be easy to find and much cheaper (a true Scotsman he was). My 6 year old grandson will get my '06 one day. Well thinking about the old man has me teared up again so....

jumbeaux
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Either my SS Colt Magnum Carry 1st edition--gun only made 1999
or
1937 12ga Winchester 28" 37 red Lettered--"Very Rare (modified) choke"--been in family since new--72 years Fantastic shape,Fantastic old hunting weapon, /Love that gun 8)
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My Savage Enfield No4 Mk1* not that I couldn't find one just like it but It was my 16th B-Day present from my dad. it is the first high power rifle I have. Some get cars but my gun has meant more to me then any other gift I have ever gotten.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

My 1903 Winchester Mdl. 94 30/30 and my S&W Mdl. 18 (.22) circa.1967 that was a gift from my wife, or perhaps my Mossberg semi-auto .22 (1947-48?) that was a gift from my Dad or my great grandfathers 1897 Winchester pump shotgun (dates from first or second year of production).

All but one are irreplaceable. Other than that, nothing. . . . . . . . . :wink:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I have an Enfield No. 5 Mk.I for which I paid $50 in 1986. I couldn't get another for only $50, even if someone polishes off all collector value--which was how I got it for $50.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Found a pic of the Hepburn that Uncle Albert gave me about 60 years ago - true classic I doubt I could replace today

Not exactly a lever gun but, close - The roll mark says "E REMINGTON & SONS" It's my impression that wasn't used after 1882.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I don't have any heirloom firearms, as my parents do not own anything to pass down. We have a Colt Lightning sixgun, in .38 Colt, that by all appearances is totally functional. I bought it at a pawn shop, where it had been for quite a while, and presented it to my wife. These early DA sixguns are out there, but how many still function? I don't work the action much, as any compression of those old springs could be the last one, if the books about these old Colts are right. We may someday fire it, with BP, of course, on some appropriate ceremonial occasion.

My SAPD-stamped S&W Model 58 would not be easy to replace, if the SAPD part is considered. I bought it shortly after San Antonio sold them off. Any M58 commands a collector's price these days, though the rough condition of mine would certainly diminish its dollar value. I used it as a duty sixgun until it went out of time. It is still shootable, but I would only do so by gently cocking the hammer to fire in single-action. I didn't keep all of my former duty handguns, but don't plan to let any more get away, especially not this one.

I have a Seecamp .25 auto that would not be easy to replace. It needs a new firing pin, and I may have it repaired eventually. I used it in the past to help train rookies in searching the patrol car the at start of each shift. With no firing pin, it can't harm anyone, though of course I follow safe handling rules, regardless. Only a certain number were produced, and I could probably get more than money back, if I sold it to a Seecamp collector. I have no great affection for it, but who knows, that could change someday, so I keep it.

My Marlin 1894C, that I bought new last fall, would not be easy to replace. It took several years of looking before I found one at a local dealer, and internet chatter indicates they are quite scarce.

So, nothing I/we have is extraordinarily rare, but somewhat rare, and difficult to replace, yes.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.