OT- Win 1200 pump

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Win 1200 pump

Post by Andrew »

Do any of you guys have experiance with the model 1200 from Winchester? I had a guy at work come up to me today asking about one he found at his local candy store and for once I had nothing for him. :? Pumps are not my specialty, not that anything is really, and they often fall more under the "tool" catergory than "toy". Besides, I'm a Rem/Moss fan anyway. 8) Well, to make a short story even shorter I gave him a SWAG of what the prices usually are and looking at several auctions it may have been just a tad high; not too much though.

Ready now to give him a more accurate forecast of the value I would like to hear from everyone who has some actual shooting time with one. He seemed to like it and it does seem to be at a good price.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Win 1200 pump

Post by chadbr »

I bought the 1300 20 ga. for my son - cycles like butter and haven't had a problem with it yet.

We probably have ~2500 rounds through it (shooting clays).

Chad
MacMarlin
Levergunner

Post by MacMarlin »

Hi Andrew, I bought a Winchester 1200 new in 1978. I have never had a bit of trouble from it in 31 years of use. The only drawback of mine is it only uses 2 3/4" shells. In 1978 it cost $169.00. I have no idea what they go for these days.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I have one, they are a good shotgun. Have no idea how many rounds have gone thru it but it just keeps on ticking. I keep it accessable and loaded with #4 buck shot just in case. I wish I had been awakened the night my dog was killed by 2 Rotwilers, I think the outcome would have been very different.
UNITE
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Once upon a time I had one and really liked it. It takes a bit of use to get used to the recoil assist in pumping it. (once fired recoil helps to push the action open) I never had an issue with mine. I traded it for something because of the safety posistion in the front of the trigger guard. It is not really left hand friendly and I couldn't find a left hand button. I just bought a Mossberg 535 pump. I haven't tried the 3 1/2" rounds it it yet and I'm not sure if recoil will be too much.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I wish i had mine back compared to the Remington 870 i have today
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Streetstar wrote:I wish i had mine back compared to the Remington 870 i have today
You don't say what the problem with the 870 is but if it is in feeding you might just need to reform that carrier. I understand (and one can see in a side-by-side comparison) that the newer carriers are "flatter" than the older ones which worked better. I was reading that somebody (dang CRS) simply reformed the carrier on a mandrel. Not much reforming is necessary.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like model 12s. There are too much alloys in a 1200 for me. Just my 2 cents.
"That'll Be The Day"
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

I have a riot gun based on the 1200. I believe it is called "the defender". Works fine, no problems at all.
Unreconstructed
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hobie wrote:
Streetstar wrote:I wish i had mine back compared to the Remington 870 i have today
You don't say what the problem with the 870 is but if it is in feeding you might just need to reform that carrier. I understand (and one can see in a side-by-side comparison) that the newer carriers are "flatter" than the older ones which worked better. I was reading that somebody (dang CRS) simply reformed the carrier on a mandrel. Not much reforming is necessary.

Thx Hobie, i'll check into that! It does not feed very smooth, but has never had a failure. My 870 is a 20" barrelled model with a screw on magazine extension - --- My comparison was to the Winnie with a full length one piece magazine tube, which was smooth as silk. I thought the 2 pc tube was the cause of my woes and never really thought about another possibility until now
----- Doug
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I gave my son one in 1994 and he is still using it without any problems. A Model 12 it isn't, but it doesn't sell for Model 12 prices. It is a good, reliable, economic shotgun.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I repaired one once for the local sheriff's office; it didn't look internally as robust as an 870.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I had a 1300 and could shoot the thing as quick as an auto in a crow fire fight :D
It really does eject like an auto and all you have to do is shut it.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I bought one back in 1969, when I had just got out of the Army and landed a job at Winchester. They gave employee discounts, and were allowing you to buy one of each model per year. I think I gave something like $65 for it, and bought a slug barrel (extra--don't remember the price of spare barrels) as well. Later I bought a 26 inch improved cyl barrel for it. Some years back I gave the whole kit and caboodle to my youngest brother, since I wasn't using this gun much at the time. It's never failed, and never needed gunsmithing. This model had somewhat of a bad rap with gunwriters back in the day, but you couldn't prove it by me. I wish I had it back--it operates a lot smoother than the 870 express that I have now.