What choke is best for buckshot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

What choke is best for buckshot?

Post by Jason_W »

I want to start experimenting with different buckshot loads (bought a shotshell loader with some wedding money). I know most people use an open choke for close up defensive work, but will a full or modified buy a little extra range?
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What choke is best for buckshot?

Post by Cliff »

Well everyone has an opinion, so heres mine.
I have had my best luck with a modified,28 inch barrel with double ought 00 buck shot. Now that being said, each gun can be different. I have had good luck with a 20" barreled Ithica with a very tight full choke, but found #4 buck was the best. Open ie. Cylinder and improved cyclinder bores seem close to the modified. You can probably get better results with quality made buck shot, using a shotbuffer, in plastic wad, or plastic sleeve. This seems to hold together a bit better. There is a lot of variables which come into play all along the way with buck shot loadings. Larger buck shot travels a bit further but you don't gain too much. I would suggest, some effort in cutting the forcing cone in the front of the chamber, it is claimed to reduce recoil, lessen deformation of the shot etc. I have found good ammunition is good for about 40 or 50 yards, but the spread is getting large by then. Pentatration is better with triple ought 000 buck, but less pellets unless you go to three and half inch shells. Now days a lot of talks puts max effective spread about 25 to 30 yards. Having said all of this I am sure there is a lot of others out there that know a lot more than I do. Good Luck on your endevor.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Jason_W wrote:I know most people use an open choke for close up defensive work, but will a full or modified buy a little extra range?
Poor Old Bill Doolin sure thought so, for about a 10/1000th of a second! He was shot with Heck Thomas's choked LC Smith Double.

Warning, graphic, not for kids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Doolinbody.png

The good news is, you can buy them in 5 packs, Rem or Win. and different lengths. I would just shoot them to see how they do through your gun. Sometimes you don't know what your gonna get, even in a shotgun, until you pull the trigger. Good luck Jason.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Personally I found modified or less gave best results but what did make a big difference was adding black tea as a buffer, you know, the stuff you guys tipped in the harbour, that stuff yeah :lol:
Can get in your eyes though if the wind is wrong!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've generally shot cylinder or IC, modified does okay too.

Plated and buffered loads tend to get good tight patterns regardless of the choke.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have not notice much difference in 00 buck patterns as far as diameter goes, but pattern shape varies some depending on brand of ammo and choke selection.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a 12 ga JC Higgins that has a full choke and it shoots 00 just fine. I have only patterned it out to 50 yards but it does hold a nice tight pattern.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

One thing you need to remember with buckshot. It is only a few large pellets and does not squish easily. So the lead pellets will deform and not fly striaght. This is why I like nothing tighter than Improved Cylinder.
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

I recently tested my Winchester 1200 riot gun with screw in chokes using 00 Buck Shot. I patterned improved cylinder, modified and full. The modified choke shot the tightests.
Unreconstructed
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

tomclink wrote:I recently tested my Winchester 1200 riot gun with screw in chokes using 00 Buck Shot. I patterned improved cylinder, modified and full. The modified choke shot the tightests.

Physics says the same thing without test firing.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

In my former occupation I tested a lot of shotguns and loads. There are no set in stone standards in my experience, but the more open chokes generally perform better with the larger sizes of buckshot. You have to pattern your gun with the loads you will use at the distances you plan on firing. That is the only way you can know for sure.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

C. Cash, I vividly remember the picture of Doolin's body to this day..........he had 33-caliber holes all over, from neck to belly button & to both edges of his torso. What kind of choke do you suppose would produce a pattern like that? jd45
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

jd45 wrote:C. Cash, I vividly remember the picture of Doolin's body to this day..........he had 33-caliber holes all over, from neck to belly button & to both edges of his torso. What kind of choke do you suppose would produce a pattern like that? jd45
Ya know, it would be interesting to find out. The one pic I 've seen shows it clearly uncut with long barrels...an LC Smith. Is it in the Museum of the Great Plains or the Davis Museum? I'll let you know what I turn up plus the range would be interesting. That picture of Doolin always stuck with my too as a kid(I hyperlinked it in my first post). Looking at it I would just think "MMMMannnnn!" Heck sure did the job with that Double, and notice how all the holes are so evenly spaced it almost looks fake. Pattern reminds you of a "V". I'll let you know if I can turn up anything.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

It appears that no less than four of em went thru his heart. Thanx, jd45
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Several years back, thinking I was going to get into 3-gun shoots, I cut down a barrel for my 870 to 19" and added screw in chokes. In my admitted limited experience I found that a improved modified or modified choke gave the best patterns and the longest usable range from my gun. The more open chokes limited me to 20-25 yards max to keep all pellets on target while a bit more choke added another 5-10 yards. That is out of my gun, your mileage may be different.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Jason_W, getting back to the original question, IF you're gonna use the weapon inside the home, I've heard birdshot is much more forgiving in terms of causing injury to unintended targets & less damage to the walls & such, whereas doing a great job of stomping the perp right now. You might look into it. Just my two cents, jd45
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For nasty, fanged & furry critters, I don't reckon you're gonna have much time to decide which choke would be best. At distances under 20 yards and closing, just pull all the triggers & hope for the best. One choke is as good as the next.

Don't panic --- There's plenty of time for that AFTER the fact, if you're still of a mind to be scared... Dead critters ain't nothin' to be a-feared of.

Remember: That which does not kill us only prolongs the inevitible...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

jd45 wrote:Jason_W, getting back to the original question, IF you're gonna use the weapon inside the home, I've heard birdshot is much more forgiving in terms of causing injury to unintended targets & less damage to the walls & such, whereas doing a great job of stomping the perp right now. You might look into it. Just my two cents, jd45

Never ever use bird shot for self defense. It's called bird shot because it is make to kill fairly small Birds when compared to a human. #4 buck is a better man stopping choice without to much penetration. In a house you want as much dispersion of the shot as possible, so a cylinder bore is the choice in the house. Out in the field you need to change your chokes for varying conditions. When I shoot Sporting Clays I carry no less than 8 different chokes for varying shots. Those chokes would be;

Cylinder Bore
Skeet 1
Improved Cylinder
Skeet 2
Modified
Improved Modified
Full
Extra Full choke

The average hunter does not need more than an Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full.