What Is Consensus Opinion On EER Scope for a Lever Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

What Is Consensus Opinion On EER Scope for a Lever Rifle

Post by RANisbet »

One of my lever rifles has a typical side mounted scope (to allow top ejection).
I am thinking that a top mount may be better for me.
To do this, the scope would need to be moved forward of the bolt opening to allow top ejection and that would mean using an extended eye relief scope (EER).
By the way, if I decide to go with an EER, I will custom machine a scope mount and use Conetrol rings. (Did this once before about 30 years ago. Still use that scoped rifle.)
What do you Lever gun experts think of EER scope usage vs standard scopes.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Is Consensus Opinion On EER Scope for a Lever Rifle

Post by Tycer »

You'll lose some light transmission/early-late hunting with the IER (not EER). It's better to have the scope close to the eye. You can overcome this somewhat by spending more on better optics, but in a like-for-like comparison, you'll always have more light transmission in a receiver mounted scope.

The only disadvantage I can see to a side mounted scope is the less natural cheek weld, but if that's a problem you can add a pad to the stock. I like the side scope in that you can use factory irons out to XX distance and have the scope dialed in at XXX for the longer shots. Some say that having the scope off center of the barrel is an issue, but it is not. At least not in my lever hunting arena. If you have your POI centered at 150 yds, you'll be off to the right about 1" at 300 and off to the left 1" at the muzzle. Not an issue.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I am considering a fixed power scope, like a Nikon which has an actual magnification of 1.75X and an eye relief ranging from 10 inches to over 20 inches.
Your mention of head placement for a side mount scope is my primary dislike.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I use a Leupold Scout Scope on my 1895GS and love it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I hunted 1 season with a top-eject Win. 94 using a 1-4X Burris scope in a Weaver side mount. I could manage to shoot it
ok, although getting a good head position was not something I could do quickly. However, I did find another disadvantage:
I had to work the lever VERY briskly to keep the empty case from dropping back down into the action and causing a jam.
I once took a shot and wanted to reload without making a lot of noise, and eased the lever open... and it caused all sorts
of fumbling to get the empty case out.

I have not used a scout (forward mounted) scope yet, but am thinking of adding one to my top-eject 94 as my eyesight
declines.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Leopold Scout on my 450 Marlin, SOCOM 16 and a Burris IER on my 10/22.

Kid #2 has a Simmons pistol scope on an XS mount on his .35 Rem 336 and loves it.

Big fan of Scout Rifles! I have plans for a couple more.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Anyone tried a scout style scope setup of a Winchester 1895? Just got my Browning in 30-06 and was contemplating what I could put on it for sights/optics.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Tycer wrote:You'll lose some light transmission/early-late hunting with the IER (not EER).
IER?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

awp101 wrote:
Tycer wrote:You'll lose some light transmission/early-late hunting with the IER (not EER).
IER?
Intermediate Eye Relief. Pistol scopes are designed to be further away from the eye so most Scout scopes are actually IERs. The pistol scope I put in the kid's Marlin is set as far forward as I can get it but you still have to wiggle a little to get the proper picture.
I bought the cheapie just to make sure he liked the set up. Next year I'll get him a propper scope.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

The only way to scope a lever gun in my opinion. Over the receiver negates one of the primary advantages of lever guns, their handiness. I call scout scopes "Iron sights for old eyes". They should be compared to iron sights, not to ordinary scopes.

The only real problem with them is how to get the dang things mounted.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:
awp101 wrote:
IER?
Intermediate Eye Relief. Pistol scopes are designed to be further away from the eye so most Scout scopes are actually IERs.
Thanks! I just thought they were all extended relief. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A strictly off-topic reply, but your subject title spurs a pet peeve of mine. So, speaking as the grammar-indoctrinated son of an English teacher:

The definition of "consensus" is "the general, or prevailing, opinion." Thus when you say "consensus opinion", you're saying " the prevailing opinion opinion". My favorite is "general consensus of opinion", which means "the general general opinion of opinion".

SIgning off now, from the Department of Redundancy Department.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Scout-scopes and pistol-scopes are useless in low-light (dawn/dusk) and in the dark.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.