Back into Lever Guns!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Back into Lever Guns!!!

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Hello all. Well I've gone and done it. Just confirmed everything to pick up a used pre-safety 94 Ranger for $350 with scope bases, Weaver Quad-Lock rings and 200 Hornady 110gr SP's. Nothing special but then again, so what! :) Thought I might as well drop a note saying "Hi" since we all are gonna get to know each other real well with all the questions I come up with. Had an older 94 Trapper a few years ago with the crappy receiver (Cast?) complete with Williams receiver sight. Receiver looked horrid but boy did that thing shoot and handle. Never should of sold that gun but we've made things right now. I'm gonna experiment with some loads for it with the intention of using it for a small game, varmint and coyote gun. Question for you guys abouth the gun that I'm getting....

Wanted to confirm that Winchester did offer pre-crossbolt safety Rangers with angle eject...Ya or Nay?

Gonna save some other questions for some new threads so be lookin for em.

Thanks all in advance, it's gonna be fun
LK
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back into Lever Guns!!!

Post by JReed »

Hey welcome. Dont have the answers you seek but some one will chime in. Pull up a stump and grab some coffee. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As Jeremy said;
JReed wrote:Hey welcome. Dont have the answers you seek but some one will chime in. Pull up a stump and grab some coffee. :D
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire and good luck with your new rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome to you! Hopefully Joe will be along shortly to help you with the AE/Safety/Trapper question. I'm pretty sure I remember those , but these fellas tell me I'm wrong all the time so better wait for the learned ones to come along. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I was just looking at a non cross bolt angle eject the other day so I'm sure it was offered. For varmits you might consider the Win 150gr power point. They open up just fine on small game, are cheap, buck the wind better, and offer piece of mind from dangerous animals both two and four legged at the same time. Good luck
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

L_Kilkenny wrote: Wanted to confirm that Winchester did offer pre-crossbolt safety Rangers with angle eject...Ya or Nay?
LK
Yep. I have one. And welcome aboard! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
major
Levergunner 2.0

Post by major »

what caliber is your new bundle of joy? :P welcome to the fire .
Major

*If guns were your children how hard would you fight to protect and keep them*
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome :D
I have a pre-crossbolt safety with angle eject.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

My 44 magnum trapper was bought brand-new by me, and it was angle-eject, pre-safety button. I still have it and it handles and shoots great, with a preference for the 215 gr Lyman GC semiwaddcutter. My only complaint with this piece is that the lever link is a sloppy factory fit, and as a result the lever rattles. Not a big deal. Too bad they came out with that safety button. Devices like that, IMO, doomed Winchester as much as the stupid-looking commemoratives that they used to produce nearly every other week.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AE introduced around 82 or so, cross bolt safetys introduced around 92. So there was almost 10 years of AE models before the cross bolt safetys.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks all. Got pics of it today. He said it was in excelent condition. You guys know how that goes. It's only in about 99% by the pics :D . Don't even see any scratches on the loading gate. Definetly AE with out the safety. Nicer wood than I thought it would have for a ranger.

LK