OT: NRA Junk Mail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

OT: NRA Junk Mail

Post by Modoc ED »

When I went up to get the mail at our roadside mailbox yesterday, there must have been 2-tons (an exaggeration) of NRA flyers (junk mail) and pleas for more money. It's just wearing me down. I've called em and e-mailed em telling em to stop with the d--- junkmail but it keeps coming. I've told em I give plenty to the NRA because I participate in the NRA round-up program whenever I buy things from those dealers that participate in the program and I try to buy fron those dealers as much as possible.

If it keeps up, I'm going to un-subscribe/cancell my membership.
ED
Yer never too old
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: NRA Junk Mail

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes, it is annoying.
The leadership needs to wise up to cease & desist with the junkmail & use that money for legislative action, where it will do more good.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

mescalero1 wrote:Yes, it is annoying.
The leadership needs to wise up to cease & desist with the junkmail & use that money for legislative action, where it will do more good.
Ya got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I just rejoined and got my membership stuff yesterday. I've read that there is a number you can call to get them to quit sending all this garbage. But those who say this never post the number, or contact info.

I'm afraid, I'm gonna need it too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I was told that for every $1 of mass mailing they get $3 back. It works, so they do it. It irritates me too, but I do send when I can.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I must be the only guy in the USA that doesn't get NRA junk mail! Been a Life Member for over 20 years, and for some reason I'm off their radar. Haven't gotten more than 5-6 requests for money in all those years. Lucky me!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Have some fun wit it ... Stuff the fliers in another entity's postage free envelope and mail them away, mebbe use National Geographic's envelope... :wink:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

You mean that they have quit calling at 8 PM??? When I was a member years ago...it was incessant phone calls from 6 to 8 pm if my membership lapsed out of date. I let it get really out of date after that....

Ed
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I NEVER get this stuff!! I too am a Life Member.

Wouldn't bother me at all if I did, if you dont want to read it just toss it, what's so hard about that? Same thing I do with all the other junk, like credit card applications, insurance ads, etc, that I get tons of every day.

The NRA needs all the help they can get and if they didn't make a healthy return on these, they wouldn't send them.
Redhawk1
Levergunner

Post by Redhawk1 »

jnyork wrote:I NEVER get this stuff!! I too am a Life Member.

Wouldn't bother me at all if I did, if you dont want to read it just toss it, what's so hard about that? Same thing I do with all the other junk, like credit card applications, insurance ads, etc, that I get tons of every day.

The NRA needs all the help they can get and if they didn't make a healthy return on these, they wouldn't send them.

I agree, what's the big deal????? You just throw it away.

Modoc ED
Quit the NRA because you get junk mail, sounds like a great reason to quit....NOT!!!!

I am a Life member, and never get phone calls, but I do get the mail. I look it over and throw out what I don't need. Simple process. But quit the NRA because they send my junk mail... NEVER...
If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
Life Member of the NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It doesnt bother me. It usually just goes it the trash with the rest of the junk mail, big deal.
NRA Life Member
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

As was stated above. They get 3 back for every one they spend on mailing. Just toss it if it is such a big deal to you. You need to understand it is the 3 dollars that they can spend on legislative actions, not the dues you pay to be a member. They need the money from those mailings to help protect our right to bear arms. I am sorry, but is irritates me to no end when I see people threatening to quit the NRA because of a little "junk" mail. Especially at a time like now when we need every gun owner, no every American to join to protect our rights from the gun grabbers who are currently in power. Please do not add to the problem by promoting the idea that dropping your NRA membership is the right thing to do.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote:I must be the only guy in the USA that doesn't get NRA junk mail! Been a Life Member for over 20 years, and for some reason I'm off their radar. Haven't gotten more than 5-6 requests for money in all those years. Lucky me!
Ditto, an that goes for the Boss and the Boy, (also Life Members). Must be a msg in there! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I too have let my membership lapse, but not because of the "junk" mail or constant harrassment thru phone calls, but because of political philosophy differences. Instead I joined the GOA and will probably join the one out of Hartford, WI...Ironsides big one. Still contribute to the NRA passively though, on the round ups and occassional donations. It has been 11 months since my NRA membership lapsed and I still get stuff sent to me, goes right in the trash can.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was told a long time ago that the NRA doesn't expect it's members to respond to each and every mailing - knowing they can't and won't - but needs to keep this up and that yes, it does generate a positive cash flow of badly needed funds. I tend to put them in a folder - along with the mailings I get from CCRKBA, GOA, 2AF, LEAA, etc., and toss the previous mailing that is in there. When I get a few bucks to send, I then look at the folder and send some money to one of them using their latest request. I mark this on the folder so the next time around another of our defenders will get some cash. The system works for me!
Redhawk1
Levergunner

Post by Redhawk1 »

Old Time Hunter, supporting the GOA does nothing for gun rights. They have not accomplished one thing for gun rights.

They have a great message and that is it. Name one thing the GOA has done for our gun rights, or one thing they have accomplished for gun rights on there own?

The NRA is the strongest group for gun rights, and have done tons of good for gun owners. The only thing the GOA has ever done was bash the NRA. The NRA has never bashed the GOA, because they are above that.

As for the phone calls, I got them to stop by calling the NRA, and having them remove my phone number from there call list. I have not got one phone call in over 7 years.
Life Member of the NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Like most of you members, I send money when I can. I do receive at least 10 mailers per week from various gun organizations, ad nauseum. Repetitive requests for money seem to come soon after I give, which leads me to believe that the more you send, the more they want. Occasionally, I will send the mailers back to them in the postage paid envelope. I especially like the often sent "last chance to renew" forms. I am a Life Member of three organization and don't need to renew anything. Sheesh.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I just don't understand why this annoys anyone so badly. They are out seeking money to do what needs to be done. Like somebody said, they get about $3 back for every dollar spent. Do we want them to stop, and have a lot less money available for the fight, out of concern for annoying someone????? For crying out loud, how long does it take to put the stuff into the trash can? That anybody would even think about cancelling a membership because of this is completely beyond me.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm and endowment life member and still get all kinds of this mail. The way I look at it is that if its working, then great - no worries. I'm happy that the money's coming in.

Just pitch it.

I do wish that the NRA would organize rallies though. We need a massive 4th of July rally to remind them that we're here and willing and able to defend the Constitution.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I was an annual member and marksmanship instructor for about 30 years. They sent me so much junk mail that I accidentally (yes, really) threw out my renewal notice a couple of years ago.
We already have most of the restrictions and bans in Massachusetts that they claim to be preventing so my motivation to rejoin is very low.
Near as I can tell, they have done exactly squat for the few remaining gun owners in MA.
The magazine has been pathetic for years. I don't think that I read more than one or two per year.

I might rejoin some day, but for now, my money goes to support local causes.

Jack
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I called their regular phone number, the one you use to renew, and asked them to stop sending stuff. They put me on their "do not market" list. Haven't got much after that, just renewal notices.

I was also getting stuff from other companies that they must sell their mailing list to. One was a DVD, and one was some medallion, that were sent on spec. I had to go to send them back if I didn't want to be billed for them. THAT was bad in my opinion.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: NRA begging letters

Post by 2571 »

Why would you send that stuff to National Geographic? Making them pay for junk mail from the NRA seems unfair. Besides, I belong to the Ntl Geo and don't want to pay for that stuff twice. If anything, send that sh*t back to the high paid Lairds of Fairfax.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ohhhhhhh.... such a drudgery to throw things in the trash. :roll:
Slow is just slow.
Redhawk1
Levergunner

Post by Redhawk1 »

jhrosier wrote:I was an annual member and marksmanship instructor for about 30 years. They sent me so much junk mail that I accidentally (yes, really) threw out my renewal notice a couple of years ago.
We already have most of the restrictions and bans in Massachusetts that they claim to be preventing so my motivation to rejoin is very low.
Near as I can tell, they have done exactly squat for the few remaining gun owners in MA.
The magazine has been pathetic for years. I don't think that I read more than one or two per year.

I might rejoin some day, but for now, my money goes to support local causes.

Jack
It is not the NRA's fault the people of Massachusetts elect the most Liberal anti-gun officials. The elected officials are the ones making the legislation for gun control. How many pro-gun officials does Massachusetts have?

The people of Massachusetts need to stop electing them anti-gun liberal kooks.
Life Member of the NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The NRA called the wife the other day to let her know that my membership was going to expire and that I could call and renew over the phone if I didn't want my benefits to lapse .... in four years. That's right, I'm four years from lapsing. How pre-emptive of them to be thinking of me four years ahead of time.

Though I still read it when it comes, I consider American Rifleman to be the worst of the gun rags to which I subscribe. It didn't used to be that way and hopefully it will make a comeback.

I send them money occasionally and always do the NRA Round-Up when it's available. Frankly though, the NRA seems to be more of a business these days than an association. I know they have to make money to be able to spend money but they seem to be behind the times. They should have a much better internet presence these days and do more marketing via that channel. The cost of direct mail is only going up and I'm betting that their 33% Ad Ratio (the 3:1 revenue to expense $) that is quoted still is no longer valid for that channel.

And then there's the fact that Heller had to be brought to the court by going around the NRA ... now that's embarrassing.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:I must be the only guy in the USA that doesn't get NRA junk mail! Been a Life Member for over 20 years, and for some reason I'm off their radar. Haven't gotten more than 5-6 requests for money in all those years. Lucky me!
Val, I think you are on the "Can't Read" list...... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I sent them a nice email asking specifically that they not send me anything (magazine included) other than a renewal notice. I specifically told them that I would rather they spend the money on the task at hand rather than mailing me information I am capable of gathering myself.

I got a very nice response and so far, knock on wood. my request has been honored.

You may try that route. It may even start a fad of sorts :lol:

Good Luck.

Now, if that doubledam credit card company would listen....
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:
Val, I think you are on the "Can't Read" list...... :lol:
Probably so, as I rarely read the magazine! I browse through quickly, but don't often find much that is of interest to my collecting areas.
If the NRA magazine stinks, the letters came every day, and they called me once an hour, I STILL would not quit! What the NRA represents is a block of pro gun voters, and THAT is all the politicians understand and fear. If the NRA wasn't there, then the politicians would have absolutely no idea how many pro gun voters exist in the USA. They know that for every NRA member there are probably 50% or more others that are also pro gun. They also know the ability of the NRA to imobilize these voters by mailings when they try to push something through without our knowledge. Speaking of pushing things through.....who do you think is watching Washington DC when the liberal politicians try to push absurd gun laws through? Do you think we'd know about even 10% of these things if the NRA didn't have representatives there keeping an eye on them?
Better think twice about who's watching out for us, before your gun rights are gone, because without the NRA they'll be gone pretty darn fast!
OK, I'll get off my soap box now. :D
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

I used to be an NRA member, I left them in the early 90's. We didnt see eye to eye and really dont now. I was paying my yearly dues and received way more than what my dues were in unsolicited hats, stickers, glossy flyers and junk mail weekly it seemed. Now some of you are missing the point. You're right, it is easy to throw it all away, which I did. What burned me up was I was donating 25-35 dollars and receiving probably 75 to 100 dollars worth of stuff. Then I saw pictures of their corporate offices that our donations paid for and that was the deal breaker. Now with the easy access to all our elected liars thanks to the internet, I do all my own political fighting for my rights.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

El Chivo wrote:I was also getting stuff from other companies that they must sell their mailing list to. One was a DVD, and one was some medallion, that were sent on spec. I had to go to send them back if I didn't want to be billed for them.
The law says that if someone sends you something unsolicited, you neither have to pay for it, nor do you have to pay to send it back. There were people years ago who used to send stuff to people all the time and expect payment--and get it. That was changed long ago.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

O.S.O.K. wrote:We need a massive 4th of July rally...
That's "Independence Day" rally!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Redhawk1 wrote:....

If you don't blame me for the anti-gun liberal kooks in MA, I won't blame you for Obama.

Jack
Redhawk1
Levergunner

Post by Redhawk1 »

jhrosier wrote:
Redhawk1 wrote:....

If you don't blame me for the anti-gun liberal kooks in MA, I won't blame you for Obama.

Jack
Sounds like a deal... :D
Life Member of the NRA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

If we continue to argue amongst ourselves and or continue to fight for our rights by ourselves than we will loose our rights one by one and one at a time. Join the NRA, keep your membership active, keep your voice heard both individual and as a part of the most powerful most effective lobbying group in the world for our 2nd amendment rights. Stand together or loose alone. Please join and support the NRA. Nothing is perfect, but they are one heck of an effective "imperfect" organization.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

[
Probably so, as I rarely read the magazine! I browse through quickly, but don't often find much that is of interest to my collecting areas.
If the NRA magazine stinks, the letters came every day, and they called me once an hour, I STILL would not quit! What the NRA represents is a block of pro gun voters, and THAT is all the politicians understand and fear. If the NRA wasn't there, then the politicians would have absolutely no idea how many pro gun voters exist in the USA. They know that for every NRA member there are probably 50% or more others that are also pro gun. They also know the ability of the NRA to imobilize these voters by mailings when they try to push something through without our knowledge. Speaking of pushing things through.....who do you think is watching Washington DC when the liberal politicians try to push absurd gun laws through? Do you think we'd know about even 10% of these things if the NRA didn't have representatives there keeping an eye on them?
Better think twice about who's watching out for us, before your gun rights are gone, because without the NRA they'll be gone pretty darn fast!
OK, I'll get off my soap box now. :D[/quote]

I agree, Vall. NR is a waste of paper. I glance through it for about a minute, then toss it in the recycle bin. That is exactly the reason why I long ago dropped worthless rags like G&A, Guns, Shotgun News, etc. The ads are stuff, the articles biased toward the newfangled super short, whizbang magnums, and good trees are cut down to produce them. Good riddance! :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes Mike! I don't subscribe to any gun mags (rags). Same reason you mentioned. Why get 12 months of junk mail, and maybe twice a year have one article that interests me.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Not to change the direction of this thread (he said, changing the direction of the thread), what magazines, if any, do you read?

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

JustaJeepGuy wrote:Not to change the direction of this thread (he said, changing the direction of the thread), what magazines, if any, do you read?
Good question. Gun related, none. Other subjects of interest to me, many. I can, and do, get most of my reading on the net. I don't need to subscribe to a "hard copy" and don't need to worry about proper disposal of the paper once I'm done with it. :)
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

"Proper disposal of the paper"? Isn't that what fireplaces are for? Or else you find a collector and sell them. I sure wish I had a fireplace, though...

Alexis de Tocqueville
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

my brother complained about getting alot of junk mail from them as well a few years back when i bought him a one year membership. I myself have been a member for over 10 years and get very little junk from them. I always renewed early so they don't have to waste money sending multiple renewals.