OT Ruger Vaquero problemo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Ruger Vaquero problemo

Post by Otto »

I just noticed that one of my old Vaqueros has a slight rattle, caused by the loading gate. When in the closed position, it is not held tightly against the frame. There is about .032" of free movement.

A. The rattle is somewhat annoying, but is this enough of a problem, from a functional standpoint, to warrant repair?

2. I am looking at the exploded parts diagram, and can't really make sense of it. What parts would need replaced , and are these user-level repairs? I've never worked on a handgun, but AR's, for example, seem pretty simple to me.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT Ruger Vaquero problemo

Post by J Miller »

Otto,

Most likely the gate detent spring has either worn or lost some of it's tension due to use.

These springs are fairly easy to replace, but you have to take the whole gun apart to do it, and there is sometimes fitting involved. I've had New Model Rugers apart and back together, but never replaced or fitted a gate detent spring.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Actually, it doesn't appear to have been fired or handled much at all. There is no cylinder ring, and the finish is like new. I know I haven't fired it at all. I guess it doesn't really matter the cause, though.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Gate spring. Like the other gentlemen said. Its a easy fix but the gun has to be taken apart. Get the manual and a gunsmith screwdriver set. Nothing to it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto wrote:Actually, it doesn't appear to have been fired or handled much at all. There is no cylinder ring, and the finish is like new. I know I haven't fired it at all. I guess it doesn't really matter the cause, though.
Otto,
Call Ruger's service dept and give them the serial number. Tell them the story and it's very possible they'll send you a new detent spring for free. If there's no drag line on the cylinder that is probably a factory sloppy fit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday Otto,
Try what J Miller suggested. Its not a big deal to replace the gate detent spring if you have the CORRECT tools.
I would thoroughly recommend a book by David R Chicoine title Antique Firearms assembly/disassembly. Very easy to follow instructions on a whole variety of single action firearms plus levers and shotties. I have a number of his books and would be lost without them when encountering problems in this field.

Rgds
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET