My New Sweet Winchester 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

My New Sweet Winchester 1895

Post by okdee »

I have posted here, in the past, questions about the Winchester 1895, and I was real pleased about the outpouring of fellow shooters that shared their thoughts and pictures. :)

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on my first,( more to come, that I am sure!!!) Winchester 1895. She was born in 1900 and someone had ( quite nicely ) carved the wood stock with some interesting carvings. She is unique and so am I, so we're a matched set! :D Heck, even my wife took a second gander at her! :lol:

Oklahoma Dee

FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My New Sweet Winchester 1895

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice rifle. What caliber?
ED
Yer never too old
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Very Sweet! Looks like she has some history behind her. If she could only talk.

What caliber? I was in a gun shop the other day and they had an old 95 in .30-40 Govt. for sale. I may go pick it up, she been used but she is original. For now I have my USRAC Winchester 1895 in .405 Win. My hunting gun.

8)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Oooooo Pretty!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I would like to meet the guy that messed up that nice old gun...and break all his fingers. :evil:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

okdee wrote:Heck, even my wife took a second gander at her! ]
She was making sure all the carving was "G" rated :D
Chad
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

She is in the 30-40 Krag caliber.

Now Cowboykell, :) just remember, way back in the earlier to mid 1900's, whitlin wood was pretty much a standard item to do. :D They may have gotten carried away with this one, but it is a good carving. I have a number of guns from my grandfather, that had his own personal customized fixes or touches to the guns he worked on and owned, so this kinda keeps in that personalized, make it your own gun concept. I also have guns that are original and untouched, other than me fondly handling them! :lol:

There has got to be some special story behind this carving of the stock. This picture does not show the very good detail of most of the carving.

I wish I could meet the person who did this one and get the story. The gentleman I purchased it from, says he got it in Colorado and according to him, this is somewhat a German folk style carving. Not saying that is true, just part of the story that is carried so far.

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I think the carving is very nice. It is folky, and screams of history and hertiage. It sure give the gun character, and says that that gun was a shooter and a hunter. What is was made for, before there were such a thing as a safe queen.

I have an old Marlin 336 1951 era that was carved by a very old and dear friend of mine and I treasure it. The rifle just reminds me of my friend and he is always with me(in spirit) when I carry that gun. The carving on your 1895 may have sentiment behind it as well.

Just my $.02

Enjoy the rifle in good health.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

cowboykell wrote:I would like to meet the guy that messed up that nice old gun...and break all his fingers. :evil:
Just why was it necessary for you to knock "okdee's" new rifle. He's proud of it and evidently loves the carving. It is nice looking and not overly done.

Many people to this day still carve their rifles. It is more of an "East of the Mississippi" tradition and enhances rifles in the eyes of many people.
ED
Yer never too old
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I usually like guns that aren't messed with, but I like that carving job!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Dave wrote:I usually like guns that aren't messed with, but I like that carving job!
+1. I guess that would be called personalized rather than sporterized and that wouldn't make me run from it. Its been done nicely. I would sure love to know who did it as I have an old remington 241 that appears to be the similar style.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I believe we "gun collectors" are really "gun caretakers". They don't make these good old guns anymore so I think we should take good care of them so the next generation can shoot, hunt, and appreciate them. I think even the "kill notches" on some rifles are terrible. Sorry okdee...didn't mean to offend, but when I see a nice old gun messed with I relate that to painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. :D
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very nice buy.
Look forward to seeing a picture of you, the rifle, and some game you shot with it,
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, I generally don't even like checkerin', let along carving, but that appears tastefully done and unique... a treaure in and of itself. My mom started wood carving in her late 50's and I have several of pieces, one specially good one she did of my two Golden Retrievers... stuff done by hand, with the character of the artist is nice... laser carving is just so much more "mechanical" in it's rendition that I'll mostly pass every time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

cowboykell wrote:I believe we "gun collectors" are really "gun caretakers". They don't make these good old guns anymore so I think we should take good care of them so the next generation can shoot, hunt, and appreciate them. I think even the "kill notches" on some rifles are terrible. Sorry okdee...didn't mean to offend, but when I see a nice old gun messed with I relate that to painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. :D
Aw heck, Cowboykell, I knew that! :lol: No problems atall! I am the same way about 2nd Generation Colt Single Actions! I love em clean and unaltered.

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is a neat one. They have a certain romance about them particularly in 30-40 and .405.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

cowboykell wrote:I believe we "gun collectors" are really "gun caretakers". They don't make these good old guns anymore so I think we should take good care of them so the next generation can shoot, hunt, and appreciate them. I think even the "kill notches" on some rifles are terrible. Sorry okdee...didn't mean to offend, but when I see a nice old gun messed with I relate that to painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. :D
today Mona Lisa could get a sex change operation and grow her own moustache!
cable
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That's nice :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There's not a thing wrong with that! It is not Bubba'ed at all. Nice shooter, Sir :wink:

The ones that I don't like are with all the brass tacks and nails...... :x
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

That's certainly a fine old rifle, congratulations! There's obviously some great history there. I hope she's a good shooter for you!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

That's a great looking carbine with the well-done folk art carving and a climbin' Lyman to boot! Caliber? Good luck with it!

(I like your floors too. Those wide pine boards look like the second floor rooms in our old house in Massachusetts...)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :D :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

airedaleman wrote:That's a great looking carbine with the well-done folk art carving and a climbin' Lyman to boot! Caliber? Good luck with it!

(I like your floors too. Those wide pine boards look like the second floor rooms in our old house in Massachusetts...)
Hey Airdealeman! It's a 30-40 Krag. I shure hope to go huntin with her, I will need a rifle strap, though!

That was not my floor, but my harvest table from our family farm up in Northern Missouri!

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE