Learn Me Something About My New To Me 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Learn Me Something About My New To Me 1886

Post by Blaine »

The Japchester ELR, tang safety, no half cock: Do I need to engage the safety with a round in the chamber? I'm used to the half cock position.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bump :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I would think so, especially if you DON'T want it to go off. Then again, I tend to distrust safeties. They have been known to fail.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG,

I don't think so. If it does not have the half cock, it will have the rebounding hammer action. They are designed so you must pull the trigger to allow the hammer to go all the way forward.

With the gun empty, lower the hammer to the rest position and push it forward without pulling the trigger. You shouldn't be able to push it all the way forward.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I have one of those, and to me the best way to use the safety is to IGNORE it.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

+1 for what Boge said.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I had one of those and it was a superb rifle. Re. the rebounding hammer. Treat it like half-cock. I never used the safety .... I never used it. With the rebounding hammer not resting on the firing pin, it's just like half cock. With the old Winchsters, half cock is my safety and it still is with the new rebounding hammers I've had.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I used to have one just like yours. It was an accurate gun. Like others have said just leave the safety on fire, and treat the rebounding hammer position like a half cock.

Now the bad news, That rebounding hammer system in the 1886 Extra Lightweight, has been know to misfire. I did not experience this at first, but after a few boxes of shells, I started getting misfires, as others have mentioned on this and other forums. The rebounding hammer spring is the problem.

I didn't know for sure at the time, what the problems was, and ended up trading the gun off, because I can't stand a gun that isn't 100% reliable. I suspected it has something to do with the rebounding hammer, but it wasn't comfirmed until I started reading posts on this forum.

So you may have to deal with this problem, someday. Maybe someone else on here can direct you to or reproduce the post dealing with fixing the problem.
Boge Quinn
Shootist

Post by Boge Quinn »

I've never had a misfire in my Extra-Light.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks! I just wasn't sure about this one.......I don't use the CBS on my Marlins, but I didn't want to carry around the rifle with a firing pin on the primer :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

What everyone else said regarding the rebounding hammer as the half cock. I leave the safety off and I have not had misfire issues. I use large pistol primers exclusively in my leverguns however. Best of luck with your new friend. 1886.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The inertia firing pin is a safety feature also.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's the tutorial (w/pics) on the rebounding hammer misfire fix:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12077
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I took the more costly way to rid my gun of the rebounding hammer and tang safety. I replaced the hammer, trigger and trigger spring with Browning parts and had the tang safety slot welded in. The tang was then remarked as an early 20th Century '86 would be.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OKAY...YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING NEW ABOUT YORE NEW 1886 LEVERACTION SHELLSHUCKER HUH. WELL HERE YOU GO...
IT WAS DESIGNED BY JOHN MOSES YAMAMOTO WHO SOLD THE DESIGN TO THE MIRAKU COMPANY, A LEVERAGED COMPANY OWNED OUTRIGHT BY THE J.A.PAN COMPANY.
THERE, HOW 'BOUT THAT STUFF HUH ??!!! NOT EVERY DAY YOU GET THE STRAIGHT UNVARNISHED TRUTH LIKE THAT.
IT WAS MY PLEASURE.
DISMISSED.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Thanks much for posting this info. One question, what would one use to cut the hammer strut and then polish the cut portion? I assume a hack saw and file but wanted to pose the question anyway. Also is there any play in the hammer once this has been accomplished? I ask this because when the hammer is fully forward the rebounding feature acts as a sort of halfcock. Thanks. 1886.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

jd45reckon you ain't heered no backwoods folk talk, it tain't queens inglish but we shore do git the point acrost.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:OKAY...YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING NEW ABOUT YORE NEW 1886 LEVERACTION SHELLSHUCKER HUH. WELL HERE YOU GO...
IT WAS DESIGNED BY JOHN MOSES YAMAMOTO WHO SOLD THE DESIGN TO THE MIRAKU COMPANY, A LEVERAGED COMPANY OWNED OUTRIGHT BY THE J.A.PAN COMPANY.
THERE, HOW 'BOUT THAT STUFF HUH ??!!! NOT EVERY DAY YOU GET THE STRAIGHT UNVARNISHED TRUTH LIKE THAT.
IT WAS MY PLEASURE.
DISMISSED.

:lol: I feel all larned up, now..... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Don't pay those city guys no nevermind :lol:
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

MikeD, I love the way your tang looks after the the work. I bet all that set you back $500 or so!!!!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Crazy Horse wrote:MikeD, I love the way your tang looks after the the work. I bet all that set you back $500 or so!!!!
Not quite. All of the work set me back somewhat less than that. The Browning parts were nearly as expensive as the smith work.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

1886 wrote:Thanks much for posting this info. One question, what would one use to cut the hammer strut and then polish the cut portion? I assume a hack saw and file but wanted to pose the question anyway. Also is there any play in the hammer once this has been accomplished? I ask this because when the hammer is fully forward the rebounding feature acts as a sort of halfcock. Thanks. 1886.
I used a dremel. I cut the sear and half cock notch to engage properly and super-glued a shim to the hammer to reduce trigger pull weight. The shim is still there after a hundred heavy loads.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Blain, congrats on your new 86. I'm sure you will enjoy it. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm waiting for danthegunman to set a price for the conversion so I can start saving my coins. Mike Hunter did some good work on MikeD's '86, just the way I'd like mine fixed.
Old Law Dawg