Winchester 1892 32-20 on hogs. LONG

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1892 32-20 on hogs. LONG

Post by rangerider7 »

I bought some hunting loads on Gunbroker in 32-20 and decided take them out to the ranch yesterday for a yote hunt. I had my Winchester model 53 with me. These loads are hot and should not be used in a revolver I was told. My electronic caller was low on batteries, my fault, and I forgot my mouth calls; they were back in the truck about a 1/2 mile away and it was late. I decided to go to a place where I had seen some sign of feral hogs wallowing. When I got there I could here some action. It was almost dark and I had no light, back in the truck, so I hurried down through the thick stuff. There was a big black that I had seen on my blind camera and two spotted smaller ones. The black looked to weigh 250 or so. At this time I sure was hopeing that the hot 32-20 loads would be enough. I got a good broadside shot at the big black but it was hard to see the front sight and I was breathing pretty hard being 64 and all. I hit a good heart shot and down he went in the mud. He didn't move an inch. Not so the spotted ones. They got confused and ran straight up the incline towards me. I worked the lever and the case that I ejected hit my cowboy hat and bounce off my glasses. The next thing I knew I was a*$ deep in pigs. They accidentally bumped me and down I went rolling into the muddy wallow next to the big black. I was now as confused as those spotted pigs. Boy, that mud was cold and smelly. I finely got up and punched the big black, decided he was a goner. I started up the incline to go and get my truck but slipped back on my a*$ again. I just started to laugh and couldn't stop. After a few minutes one of my hunting buddies, that I didn't know was there, came ridding up on his mule 4 wheeler. He shined his headlights on me and just stared. Finely I said "do you have a rope?" he through it down and we dragged it out. He looked at me and said "I found you by the sound of your laughter. What in tarn nation is going on?" I said "lets get back to the barn and Have a beer while I tell you all about it." We had one hell of a time getting that hog in the truck. We weighed him at the barn and he was 312 pounds. P.S. the hot 32-20 did a very good job. sorry no photos of the hog, the camera was at home. I have one from the blind camera that I will see if I can download it. The best photo would have been of me cover in mud and freezing. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1892 32-20 on hogs. LONG

Post by 86er »

Congratulations! That was a great story!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Great story, good hunting! Glad you didn't climb into my truck after that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

You don't happen to know the Three Stooges do you? :mrgreen:

Great story. At least you got a (or are gonna get) a meal out of it.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

nemhed wrote:Great story, good hunting! Glad you didn't climb into my truck after that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No kidding. Good story.
Old Law Dawg
flatfender
Levergunner

Post by flatfender »

Good story, the rifle don't look bad either
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats is a great hunting story!
Who made the holster and belt?
I like it! I like the rifle too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great story!

Any details on that ammunition?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post, congratulations on getting the hog!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good job! Great story, certainly something I can empathize with!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

great story and beautiful gun.
32-20 - love the round - I think it is great to see it being used in the hunting fields...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The rig was made by Viking. I added the buckle and tip. The ammo maker is not on Gunbroker at this time. I will see if I can find out. If I had been paying less attention to keeping the 53 out of the sludge and more to me staying out of it, I probably would have been a little cleaner and warmer. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Great Job!!!!!! 32cfw is my favorite... and the 92src and 53 are also my favorite, but my most favorite is my Colts med frame pumps in 32cfw, but dont use hot stuff in em..... 32cfw's rule... Could tell of game I have taken, but most was out of season, but if we feed em we eat em..
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great hunt story. We see a lot of medium sized hogs here. I'm still waiting for a hunt where one I've shot runs out of the brush, down a nice clear trail, toward my truck, to die next to the trailer hitch. :D Here, they drawn to the muck and heavy brush.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

too kewl, great story. thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sure, it may kill a 312-pound hog, but NO WAY is the .32-20 a suitable gun for whitetail deer... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

AJMD429 wrote:Sure, it may kill a 312-pound hog, but NO WAY is the .32-20 a suitable gun for whitetail deer... :lol: :lol: :lol:
shot placement... no need for a loadenboomer supersonic wepon, just shot placement...
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Great story! Good job keeping the 53 clean :lol:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hopefully those yotes wont have to wait too long before you get some fresh batteries. Sounds like what was a YOTE hunt that was going down hill fast turned into a pretty good time.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Nope, no doubt about it! Life is not boring at your place!

Good story for years to come, too.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How hot are these loads?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the Blackie and a great story. :D :lol: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Good shootin' ... Can't beat taking game with a classic Winchester.

Sliding down a mudding bank and ending up covered head to toe ... sounds like a story from my coon huntin' days :wink:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Old Savage, I am not a hand loader but this is what is on the box: 32-20 85gr HP-XTP, 10 grs 2400, STRONG ACTIONS ONLY, I hope this helps.
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! The 32-20 does it again! The original Winchester Model 92 H.V. loads sent a 115 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,635 fps. I wonder how close your hunting loads are to that? By the way, with all that falling down and rolling around, did you manage to keep that beautiful little Model 53 from getting dinged up? Funny how it goes when I manage to trip and fall while holding one of my classic old Winchesters ..... the only thing on my mind is to protect the rifle, never mind about my body ... it will fix itself up after a day or so. I sold my original Model 1892 in 32-20 and bought an original Model 65 in 32-20 instead. Still haven't 'blooded' it yet on any of those groundhogs down in the alfalfa field.

P.S. Just saw your load posted above. I've chrono'd the following load out of my 1892: 10 grains 2400 under an 85 grain Hornady JHP for 1,512 fps (5 shots and an E.S. of 59 fps). Then I chrono'd the following using the same bullet and 2400:
9.9 grains for 1,628 fps and an E.S. of 149 fps (5 shots)
11 grains for 1,800 fps and an E.S. of 87 fps (5 shots)

You can see that 10 grains gives somewhere between 1,500 and 1,700 fps. The thing I do not like about 2400 is the high E.S. it gives me in most of my cartridges.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

KirkD, The 53 was held high, not the same for me. I let my buddy drive my truck and I road his 4 wheeler back and almost froze to death! :lol: I can laugh about it now.
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

rangerider7 wrote:KirkD, The 53 was held high, not the same for me. I let my buddy drive my truck and I road his 4 wheeler back and almost froze to death! :lol: I can laugh about it now.
I knew you'd be holding it high! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I just read this rangerider :lol: Fantastic :lol:
I can't wait to see your yote hunt stunts soon :wink:

That amazing little package the 32/20wcf. Many a man would laugh but not the (us) educated hey!?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!