Snow and blow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Snow and blow

Post by plinkin pete »

Just blew out driveway and sidewalks for the second time in two hours, 9" and blowing and drifting. Lake effect snow on the way,Mother nature wants the new year to come in on a sled :o
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Snow and blow

Post by Nath »

I cert don't envy you that PP, take care.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nope, don't envy you. Winters hit us more than usually, for the second year in a row.
Old Law Dawg
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

Nath wrote:I cert don't envy you that PP, take care.

Nath.

Whats the weather like wher u are?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Today it has been 0c all day going colder now. Foggy all day with a light variable breeze.
Not too bad really considering your plight.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

Nath wrote:Today it has been 0c all day going colder now. Foggy all day with a light variable breeze.
Not too bad really considering your plight.

Nath.
The birds in the pic sure looked good, the season is a long way off here, thanks for the weather report.Actually this is just another winter day here,you just get used to it and deal with the snow, good bunny hunting tomorrow, sunshine predicted.
PP
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Take a camera with ya if ya can :wink:
I'll listen out for your shot :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:P The same storm that hit you guys is about subsided here. I ran the snow thrower 2x in 4 hours myself. We've got 7" of the white stuff, temps around 26*, wind from the NW @ 20 knots. Tommorow same wind and highs in the 20* range. Perfect weather for the annual Polar Bear plunge at Mackerel Cove tommorow! :D Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You have my condolences! I'm just glad that kind of weather has moved on from here! We're back to normal rainy, high 40's here!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Fellas, you sound like you can use some cheering up. So here's another view of winter.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We've only had a couple light snows so far, less than a couple inches total, and I'm already ready for spring.
NRA Life Member
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

You guys must just like blowing snow :lol: 2 X in 2 hours for 9 " and 2 X in 4 hours for 7 " :roll: I'm just not that obsessive .
Phil
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting that pic jeepnik :!: :!: :D :D
I like snow so much I'm off to Barbados in 9 days :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nice and balmy here in Wisconsin too!

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Spent two hours on the tractor plowing out the driveway for the third time this year.
Old Law Dawg
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Bright and sun shinny here in Fla today, low 70's here, there for a while I thought that I was going to have to turn the A/C on. :P :P

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

got snow ??

http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/

Cheers,

Carl
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

1894 wrote:You guys must just like blowing snow :lol: 2 X in 2 hours for 9 " and 2 X in 4 hours for 7 " :roll: I'm just not that obsessive .
The 9 " is on the leval, the wind blows it into drifts that triple the snowfall, not to mention the plow trucks and sidewalk plow that fills the snow in just as fast as you can clean it out.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I understand Pete , I live near Syracuse . But except for things like , when the wife is coming home from work so she can get in the drive I wait till it's done or reaches a foot or so before worrying about clearing out during a lake effect dump . But then it's only my wife and I , we don't get much traffic in our driveway :D
Phil
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

1894 wrote:I understand Pete , I live near Syracuse . But except for things like , when the wife is coming home from work so she can get in the drive I wait till it's done or reaches a foot or so before worrying about clearing out during a lake effect dump . But then it's only my wife and I , we don't get much traffic in our driveway :D
Im sure you understand, the area you live near wins the snow total for the state most winters. I have to confess I enjoy the outdoors and anything that gets me out there is ok, even so this is a stretch :D This winter is a shoe in for the record books.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

You fellers have it tough. Thank God we are not getting any wind with our MINUS 40 weather. I just watched the Ther-Mo-Meter drop to the MINUS 50 mark here in the swamp. Had to hook up the magnetic heater to the propane tank for my hot water as the propane was gelling. If it drops below the minus 65 mark in this two week "spell" I will be having to heat my fuel oil tank also as even the No 1 heating fuel will gel.

The auxiliray pre-heaters on my old Ford are getting a workout. I have block, oilpan, tranny and battery heaters on the old girl with a power cord that looks like a 240v range hookup so I can get her started without tearing the motor up the first few minuts of run time.

I have to bring my portable space heater inside to pre-heat it if I want to use it to thaw the drive train on my rig so I can get it moving enough for friction to take over the task.

It is a whole nother can-o-worms to get/keep the big rig rolling for a thousand mile R/T to the North Slope and back. Even small problems can turn life threatening in a short time. We are convoying up for safety reasons in these temps.

Ice fog has visibility down to almost nothing in the low areas.

To make matters worse, the EPA is harping about the air quality around Fairbanks...DUH! Like the stuff can go anywhere. It is not like folks are out jogging around in it :lol: Sheesh!

I wish AlGore was here to help me start the heating process so I can survive this global warming trend. Perhaps if he just stood out there in my yard and blabberd on a bit I could save some fuel.

Hang tight fellers and make the best of it.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
BGunn
Levergunner

Post by BGunn »

plinkin pete

I live just South West of you in Bennington, near Attica. Been doing a lot of snow removal too, but I get it from Lake Erie instead of Ontario. While taking out some of the 4' drifts last week, my 26 year old John Deere snowblower bit the dust.
Drove over to Alexander NY and ordered this John Deere X720SE W/ 47" blower & 60 " mower...

It cost about the same as 30 Marlin .444's, but what ya gonna do??
Real men never get lost. We investigate alternate routes and destinations.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Coldfingers (Scotty)............you just made my day, brother! Well written! I live in cold Northern Ontario, with 5 feet of snow on the ground and minus 20 degrees, but your circumstances make my weather seem like nothing. Sometimes we forget how cold it can really get.

Truck on, Gerry
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Gerry...Godspeed on your travels. Nice to have such a great view from the office window eh?

BGunn...I bet you are the envy of all the guys in the neighborhood. When my old Troybuilt turns it's last, I am gonna get a real garden tractor like you did. Hows that blower working out for ya? Considered one but I can ususally get by with with the dozer blade attachment as we usually get our snow in small doses with little wind to drift up the stuff.

Now you need the heated cab :wink:
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

My sister used to live in Rochester, and I had a chance to transfer there 5 or 6 years ago.
I turned theat opportunity down. You've got my sympathies, Pete.

Today I ran down to southern Maine, had my hat blow off in the wind, and stepped on it
while retrieving it. My kid did all he could not to guffaw - but he couldn't hold a smile in.
20 degrees F with a 30 or 40 knot wind.

-Stretch
BGunn
Levergunner

Post by BGunn »

Coldfingers,

The blower I ordered won't be here for about 2 weeks. I'm nursing the old one (Blew a pin hole in the hydrostatic transmission) until I get the new one by adding about 3/4 quart of hydraulic oil at each use. I'm going to mess with the repair in the summer, but the motor has 26 hard years on it, so a full rebuild at 2 to $4,000 just ain't worth it. The casting with the hole is $1130.00 alone.
The blower on the old one is the same physical size, but the new one is 27 HP, vs 20 on the old. Every time I use it I smile, thinking of all the shoveling I'm not doing with about 3800 sq. feet of driveway and parking area. It really works great.
My neighbors are all Dairy farmers (I use to raise beef & chickens, but quit when the kids grew up and moved out), so most of them have 60 to 72" blowers or plows on full size tractors. Mine would be the smallest at 47" !
We are right in the snow belt off of lake Erie. My brother-in-law lives about 40 miles south, at the beginning of this deer season the town he's in got 66 inches in less than 7 days. Nobody could get out hunting for the rest of the season. The worst we had so far is 3' in 2 days with 50 to 60 mph winds, but as was stated, thats on the flat, drifts would be 4 to 5 feet.
Real men never get lost. We investigate alternate routes and destinations.