Gun Shop Question for Florida Members - Want Win 1895's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Gun Shop Question for Florida Members - Want Win 1895's

Post by Bruce »

Do any of you Florida members have any comments or experience with Halifax Supply gun shop? I see on Gunbroker that they carry quite a few Winchester 1895s and I am interested in acquiring one or two more. There prices seem a little high to me. Do they deal at all, or would I be wasting a day long trip to go there?

Does anyone have any leads on newer Browning/Winchester 1895's in the Florida or South Georgia area? I have a .270 and am looking for any of the other calibers, especially the .405. I am looking for new or used and can buy outright or work a trade/combination. Thanks in advance.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun Shop Question for Florida Members - Want Win 1895's

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've never heard of it but Rihmfire and Duff L Bagg live closer to Port Orange than I do. They may not have a store front or they may be doing business under another name for the physical store.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Its not a gun shop ....
If I remember correctly the guy works out of an office...
and the guns are shipped from another location....
I though he was a bit pricy too!
I think all of his stuff is from Davidsons, Gallary of guns..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I have never dealt with him as his prices were something out of Alice in wonderland. Better deals can be had elsewhere.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Where do you live Bruce? there might some place closer to you.

I know Jerry's Sport Shop in Ocala has some pretty nice stuff or at least he has when I was passing through there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Thanks guys. Now I know why I have never heard of the shop. Thought I knew them all.

Rusty,

I am in north Florida - Mayo - Lafayette county. I know Jerry's, but I doubt he has any 1895's.

I guess I'll have to hit a few gun shows.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang Bruce, I love that part of the state. We have stores in Archer, Chiefland and Perry, as well as Ocala and G'ville. I get up there every chance I can but it's never enough. I have a cousin in Capps too.

The Armory in Ocala might be a good place to check out. I guess you know Pickett's in Newberry or Trenton, I can't remember I'm sure you know. I also see there is a new place on Hwy 326 just West of I-75 called GTO Airboats that has started selling guns and ammo. I haven't had a chance to get in there yet so I don't know how good they are.

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

I do know about Picketts, the Armory and GTO. I try not to go south of the county line anymore, but I may one day. Only if I know they have an 1895 in stock.

Yes, this is a great part of the state. All of the hunting and fishing you could want and nice people. There is only one traffic light and one grocery store in the whole county, no four lane roads and the once a week newspaper still prints pictures of game taken by the kids. BTW, we do not really need the traffic light, but it sure is fun to sit there.

We also have a great gun shop/gun smith who carries all kinds of new and used lever actions as well as those other actions. Just not any 1895's. Due to a variety of reasons (economy is one), the gun shop is getting a lot of old guns in recently. I have seen three original 1873's come through the door in the last two months, but one local guy (wealthy) has them bought before they are even brought in. The shop currently has about seven damascus double barrel shotguns that came in within a few days of each other. It was only in the early seventies that people around here began to deer hunt with rifles.

Now the bad part. No real good jobs, except for the state prison. Most of the county is timber lands (70% or more), the rest is farms or dairies. Not a bad thing really.

The county is large and has a population of about 4,000 people. There is no violent crime. People take care of each other around here and they are not about to sit back and be a victim.

We have two decent WMA's and lots of private hunt clubs. We now have four private RV sites for hunters. We had none until this year.

Stop by if you ever get the time.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know what you mean about the jobs Bruce. I looked into moving up there about 20 years ago. My wife is a nurse so she can get a job anywhere, but I'm a truck driver and driving a pulp wood truck didn't appeal to me at the time. Where my cousin lives Taylor County I think, Ted Turner is buying up a lot of the land there. It's still nice there. I think I'm going to start looking for a lease up that way.
Shotguns are what settled Fla. just ask the guy in Cross City that runs Dixie Slugs. He's doing a lot of research with them and putting out some good results.

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Rusty,

Yep - Ted has been buying up north Florida for awhile. As far as leases go, there are many available around here. The going price seems to be about $1,000 per year, per member which includes the spouse and children under 18. Most have good game populations and basically follow state game regulations. In other words, hog hunt whenever and does can be taken during antlerless season. Most clubs now adhere to some type of self imposed antler restriction. Around here, the trend is either forked horn or three on one side as a minimum. A majority of the clubs also have doe permits. Turkey hunting around here is better than you could ever hope for. If I can be of assitance in helping you find one, let me know.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Bruce:

You interested in a Browning 1895?
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

SFRanger7GP,

Airborne! I see the 7th group. I was in the 11th (D312), a reserve unit that used to be based out of Tampa. Got a funny story about some time I spent with some 7th group friends on an ARTEP (Army Reserve Tng. supthin or another) up north one time. Short story, I found this gal in the mountains that I named "Green Teeth". Promised her some good times with our Observer (7th member) if she would keep us supplied with spirits. She agreed and held up her end of the bargain. He did'nt. I also found the value of an empty sugar pack taped to the side of a helicopter that trip. Both of those caused me an unusual amount of stress after the fact. Seemed appropriate and funny at the time. Don't do it boys - the Goverment does not take it lightly when it comes to mad ladies or grounded helicopters. That is the same trip that I found out that AF pilots do not like you getting sick on their planes. Flying NAP of the Earth was a term they used that night. Still do not know what it means, but it helps in getting rid of excess alcohol.

Yes, I am interested in a Browning 1895. Now don't be bashful and give me the details. PM me.