Do you ever....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Do you ever....

Post by SJPrice »

Do you ever is sometimes a fun question. So if you feel up to confessing on yourself jump in with your own "do you ever question"

Do you ever sit down to read a good book about cowboy life or a good western novel with a lever action across the arms of the chair as a place to rest your book while you read?

Do you ever carry an 1886 Winchester or an 1895 Marlin with you as you step outside just in case a rogue buffalo or irritated grizzly comes calling, even though you live in suburbia?

Do you ever wipe down a perfectly clean gun so you will have an excuse to handle one of your favorite lever actions without "looking like" you are just "handling" one of your favorite lever actions?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Do you ever....

Post by gamekeeper »

Guilty! :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: No, not yet but time will tell and I fully understand those that do/are.
In fact I like the notion that some do :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Guilty of all except the Winchester 1886 and 1895 questions, and only because I don't own either of those rifles. I well remember the evening there was a disturbance down the street and I sat outside grilling steaks with an SKS with a 30 round magazine across my lap, a .357 Magnum on my hip and another in my pocket. I was determined not to allow the misbehavior of others make me change my own plans.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

More than I'd like to admit :shock:

I'll be standing at the back door stairing out into the darkness and say something like "it's quiet out there. Too quiet!" and work the action on whatever I have in my hand.

My family already thinks I'm weird anyway so nobody notices much anymore :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Whenever I am in New Mexico, nightime ventures outside are always with a gun, we have a lot of critters up there.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

2ndovc wrote:More than I'd like to admit :shock:

e "it's quiet out there. Too quiet!"

My family already thinks I'm weird anyway so nobody notices much anymore :D

jb 8)
That line got me chuckling all over again.

Okay the rest of you guys, out of the closet and add your "do you ever" (s)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nearly on a daily basis I'll open the safe just to fondle some of my favorites.
NRA Life Member
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Yep. :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

TedH +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

TedH wrote:Nearly on a daily basis I'll open the safe just to fondle some of my favorites.
Ok ok ok, I'll admit to that too but only to check the bores and not to pretend aiming them or anything :oops:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
planeflyer21
Levergunner

Post by planeflyer21 »

Newbie here...great place folks!

This one got me thinking...

Do you ever sneak that new rifle in while the wife is in the other room, so she doesn't see it? Been a couple of those around here!

Jon
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

planeflyer21 wrote:Newbie here...great place folks!

Do you ever sneak that new rifle in while the wife is in the other room, so she doesn't see it? Been a couple of those around here!

Jon
Great "do you ever" question. And to answer that one I used to. She never did understand my love of fine guns so...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey, sometimes I just sit on the couch in the evening and look one over! Why own them if they just sit in the safe until you're ready to shoot it, or hunt with it?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Jon
Welcome. My dad still does that. He will sneak it in and set it by his chair and pretend that its always been there. I guess it works even though I have had to help him in the occassional instances that it don't, justify it with the boss.

This is one of them good topics that I needed today having just had the shot wore off on a missing tooth.

BTW, I got one. Have you ever volunteered to clean a firearm that a friend has just bought so you could be alone with it and maybe shoot it? :roll:
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I am guilty of taking one of my rifles or handguns out with me at night, just because. I will often have a rifle out that I am cleaning and forget to put it up and just have it hanging around.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Guilty,only it was a M-71 !!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I never do any of those things :oops:

ok ok, maybe I have in past............ well, maybe the not so distance past............OK! I do it all the time... are you happy now!
Ricky

DWWC
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, not quite the way you describe, but right now there is a Blackhawk on the desk next to me. I switch off house guns so I can justify to myself owning them. :mrgreen: Today it's the Blackhawk. I usually keep a loaded long gun in the safe, right now it happens to be an 1895 GS. But last week, it was an M1A1 Scout/Squad and a Glock 30. Another favorite combination is an M1 rifle and a 1911A1. Some pairings just seem to go together.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Oops...somebody was peek'n!
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

[/quote]

That line got me chuckling all over again.

Okay the rest of you guys, out of the closet and add your "do you ever" (s)[/quote]

There is no need to hide in a closet when you are carrying a fine lever gun! :lol: :lol:

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

morgan in nm wrote:

Jon
Welcome. My dad still does that. He will sneak it in and set it by his chair and pretend that its always been there. I guess it works even though I have had to help him in the occassional instances that it don't, justify it with the boss.
Never been married, but I'll bet a dollar that doesn't work nearly as well as the average male is allowed to believe.

I never sit down to John Wayne, Randolph Scott or Marshal Dillon without my 45 Vaquero, in case the good guys get into a jam and need some help.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Otto,
Be careful doing that, my friend, the hairy eyeball; did that once and put a .45 Colt through his TV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

whenever the Duke is on, I am quick to get my 92 out and put it by my chair as I watch. I unload it while I am watching so I can take aim at the bad guys in the rocks!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

mescalero1 wrote:Otto,
Be careful doing that, my friend, the hairy eyeball; did that once and put a .45 Colt through his TV
Any time I do any kind of dry-firing I triple-clear the gun and make sure I'm alone in the house. I know how unloaded guns have a habit of putting holes in things.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

Ok....... "Do you ever..."

Take your levergun down off the rack after cleaning it and go over it again looking for more "dirt"? ... I am SO guilty of that :oops:

I think it has something to do with hearing the action open and close. LOL
Oh and one more.... "Do you ever..." just open a box of 30-30's just to admire em?... I do that too :oops:
Last edited by Bearhands on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am sure the hairy eyeball thought his was unloaded as well!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Nice...I'm guilty of most mentioned.

Do you ever....actually have time to shoot all the guns you own at least once a year? If only....
Chad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Peeping Toms get shot around here.... :evil:

:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

This is more fun than I ever expected. :D
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I also like to take my empty 45 Colt brass, and sort it, and count it, and re-sort it, and re-count it...

Shiny stuff is cool...

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I heard elvis would watch football on tv wearing a football helmit.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Do I ever sneak a new gun into the safe? What? Who me??? :D Do I ever sneak a new locking metal cabinet into the garage for storing ammo? What? Who me??? :D Do I ever sneak in a case or 2 of ammo? What? Who me??? :D

Confession is good for the soul :D What? Who me??? :D
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can't believe how weird you guys are...!

I'd NEVER do ANY of these things.

Never.

Really.

Well not very often.

OK - not since yesterday... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

SJPrice wrote:Do you ever sit down to read a good book about cowboy life or a good western novel with a lever action across the arms of the chair as a place to rest your book while you read?

Do you ever carry an 1886 Winchester or an 1895 Marlin with you as you step outside just in case a rogue buffalo or irritated grizzly comes calling, even though you live in suburbia?

Do you ever wipe down a perfectly clean gun so you will have an excuse to handle one of your favorite lever actions without "looking like" you are just "handling" one of your favorite lever actions?
Dear God. I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, I've even logged onto leverguns with a Lever across my knees...... :lol: :o
“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Guilty on a daily basis.
Old Law Dawg
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

When sneaking in one do you ever start packing an empty gun case for a couple of weeks, coming and going, so that on the day it comes back full for the safe nothing looks unusual to the Missus??? :roll:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm feeling much better about my habbits now. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jon
Welcome aboard Jon!

Just how have you gotten in my house, and are you going to tell my wife about all the guns she doesn't know about?!? :shock: :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:I'm feeling much better about my habbits now. :lol:
+1

Have you ever "slapped leather" in front of the hall mirror just to see if you could outdraw that "bad guy" - though you aren't carrying anything? (only safe way, of course...) :roll:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Otto wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Otto,
Any time I do any kind of dry-firing I triple-clear the gun and make sure I'm alone in the house. I know how unloaded guns have a habit of putting holes in things.
Beware of the "JUST-ONE-MORE-TIME sYNDROME!!!

It is highly dangerous to TV's, windows, mirrors, walls and occasionally a family pet.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Well you guys have me worried.Just normal natural behavior at my residence and whole heartly approved by my spouse.She's a genuine Maine backwoods Diamond 8). She figures real men behave like that (her sister is the same way..no she's also married to a gun lover.) :D A good example is a month ago I was watching my neighbors abode across the street while he was out of state.About 1 am some young punks were doing wheelies in front of his gate.My wife says might want to checkit out.A grab the Marlin 336 leaning against the fireplace and load some 30-30's.I step out on the porch and walk to my mailbox with Rifle in hand.About the time they see me at 50 feet dimly lit by the security light... they leave.Upon returning to the couch my wife asks me "Any problem".I reply "Nope-they left".She continues with mending a dress.I finish watching Rio Bravo in my tee shirt and boxers. :lol: I like being the crazy old fanny burp that lives down the country road. :twisted:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

SJPrice wrote:Do you ever is sometimes a fun question. So if you feel up to confessing on yourself jump in with your own "do you ever question"

Do you ever sit down to read a good book about cowboy life or a good western novel with a lever action across the arms of the chair as a place to rest your book while you read?

As guilty as hell, probably need counselling, but would rather save the money and buy another lever rather than a share in a porche I never get to drive. Good question I Like IT.
The Telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Okay I will add another one just to help keep this one going cuz I am having a ball reading the "confessions"

Do you ever grab a big bore lever action to "dispatch" a small pest or rodent when the pellet gun sitting next to it in the gun safe would have worked just fine?

(can you ever have "too much gun")
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Guilty!! Guilty!! Guilty of almost all of the above. It sure is great seeing I am not the only one.... Do you ever sleep with a levergun just to have it close to you?? My wife got over the jealousy years ago.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Dastook wrote:Guilty!! Guilty!! Guilty of almost all of the above. It sure is great seeing I am not the only one.... Do you ever sleep with a levergun just to have it close to you?? My wife got over the jealousy years ago.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Slept with my 1886 Browning High Grade just last night. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Had to be a little sneaky though so my 1893 Marlin would not get jealous.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I have been under the impression that dry-firing is a commonly accepted training method, and I'm not quite sure why doing so with a rifle would be any less dangerous than with a handgun. I also don't understand why firing live rounds in the garage or basement, as some on this site have claimed to do, would be more acceptable than dry firing. Nevertheless, there are those who question the safety of such an activity, and it is better to err on the side of caution. So I will refrain from doing this in the future.

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I often have my rather small, eclectic firearm collection out and about the house and my dear wife has given up on me ever acting like a "normal, grown-up adult male" rather than a "12-year-old boy". She is surprised when I eventually round them up and return them to their place of residence (the safe). And yes, very few times while watching dvds (our Saturday night ritual) am I ever without a firearm appropriate for the movie subject, time frame, etc., nearby and handy.

Whoa. Now that I read what I've just typed, ....I'm also wondering if perhaps I'm not still that 12-year-old boy she accuses me of being!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

As a New Years wish to all here May we all retain that part of a 12 year old that makes life fun and exciting.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

SJPrice wrote:As a New Years wish to all here May we all retain that part of a 12 year old that makes life fun and exciting.
Here here ! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.