Mossberg 464 vs Mossberg 472

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Harry O
Levergunner

Mossberg 464 vs Mossberg 472

Post by Harry O »

There have been a lot of discussions on the new Mossberg 464 here. How many remember a Mossberg 472? The 464 is a near copy of the Winchester 94. The 472 was a near copy of the Marlin 336. It did not last long. I have seen only one or two in years of visiting gunshows.

I also see from one of my books that they produced a 479 for a couple of years that looked much like the 472 (Marlin copy), but I don't think I have ever seen one. Does anyone think they will do any better this time? I have handled the 464 a couple of times and was not particularly impressed.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 vs Mossberg 472

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Which one of those (the 472 or 479) was the Roy Rogers Commemorative?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I remember the one you speak of. Fine looking rifle. I never got to shoot one. But I just missed the chance to own one , dang't .
It looked ok to me back then. Still mad at myself for not reacting sooner............................Mutt :oops:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a Mossberg 472, .30-30
For some reason ( not yet determined by me ) it is the most user friendly lever to work from the shoulder that I have ever shot.
Some forum members have suggested it is because the trigger travels with the lever, I suspect the crescent shaped butt.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

The 472 is not a copy of the Marlin 336 though they share a similar profile, about as much a copy as the 464 is to a model 94 Winchester. The 472 has many notable design differences like the lever/trigger group similar to the BLR, and no tangs or tang bolts but a single butt bolt like a shotgun has, much stronger way of attachment. Also the bottom half of receiver is an aluminum alloy. You could call it an improved 336 since the bolt is similar but the 472 is definitely a unique design that lacked the history and mystique of the Winchesters and Marlins thus it's failure in the market. I've had mine in 30/30 for several years and think it's the best $110.00 I've spent on a used rifle.
From what i'm hearing the old 472 design was superior to the new 464.
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I heard this week that Mossberg will be releasing another caliber in their new levergun. It should be out before the first of the year, or a little after. I am not sure which caliber won out on the poll they ran. I remember the old Mossberg MArlin levergun, but I like hte new improved 94 clone, but of course the real test will be later in 2009 when the Winchester 94 is re introduced.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

If the quality and pride of ownership remain the same, how would another caliber option benefit the 464?