The 338 levergun is back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

The 338 levergun is back

Post by handirifle »

I hope this isn't old news. Reading a special Hornady issue of G&A magazine today, and there's a big article on Hornady and Marlin at it again. Hornady is necking up the 308 ME and making a 338ME. The writer was shooting a prototype Marlin XLR made for it.

It will have the same rubber tipped bullet design, but at 200gr. The ballistics match the 30-06 with a 180gr clear to 400yds.

When compared with the 308ME, at the same zero point, it stays within 1" vertically to 300yds. It is actually about 4" lower than the '06 at 400yds, but for me, I'd feel pretty darn good if I kept anything within 4" at 400yds.

I do not have the magazine right here but I believe it passes the 308ME at about 100yds, energy wise.

Like I said, hope this isn't repeating old news, but it looked exciting.

This I think IS old news, that Hornady is going to release the rubber tipped 30 cal bullets for reloading.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The 338 levergun is back

Post by TedH »

It's not real old, only a month or so. :wink:
NRA Life Member
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Figures, I'm a little behind the curve here. Oh, well
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Thats ok I knew about it and still bought that mag this morning. Glade to see the investment that Marlin and Hornady are putting into the sport.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

handirifle wrote: Hornady is necking up the 308 ME and making a 338ME.
While they are releasing the 338 Marlin Express it is not the 308 Marlin Express case necked up to 338 !

The 338 Marlin Express was loosely based on the 376 Steyr case .

So although the names connect them somewhat the cases used to derive the new cartridges do not !

This thing first hit the news media when "Guns and Ammo TV" let the story "slip" on their show about 6 weeks ago !
At first I believed them when they said it was a slip ! Now I am inclined to believe it was slipped on purpose ! Either way it's okay with me !

As far as the 33 cal lever being back I didn't know it had left I have a nice old Marlin 1895 in 33 WCF that was made in 1910-1912 that still shoots quite well and has more then enough ability to kill a deer ! :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For me the question is not about how well the 338 Marlin Express will be , but rather what will be the next caliber unveiled in this line of cartridges ! As I'm sure they aren't quiet done yet !

Oh yes they are also saying they will bring the 338 out in the 338MXLR and 338MX just as they did with the 308 Express when it hit the market !

For those not aware the 338MXLR will be stainless and laminated with a 24" barrel and 2/3's mag !
The 338MX will be walnut and blued but with a 22" barrel and 2/3's mag .
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

now that can prove interesting.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

What will be interesting is watching to see how many of those new rounds will still be in Marlin's (or anybody's) lineup in a few short years. But who knows.
NRA Life Member, Patron
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

6pt-sika wrote:For me the question is not about how well the 338 Marlin Express will be , but rather what will be the next caliber unveiled in this line of cartridges ! As I'm sure they aren't quiet done yet !
I want a 25 Marlin Express.

Bruce
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

how about a 22 something... i would love to see a zipper, bee, hornet, jet or anything 22 come out in a classic lever.

i know i have posted this before, but i still haven't read an answer that is satisfactory. why!!! didn't anyone put a 22 hornet in a lever?

i am still looking for a donor action to build one. i also want a 219 zipper. oh but i am repeating a post i have posted many times over the years. it still will be a dream till i have the money to do such a project. :cry:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Is it possible that one can reload to duplicate the factory ballistics? (I already know the answer.) However, one can load to match the .33 Winchester, one just needs bullets.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm glad they have developed this cartridge. Anything to sell more leverguns. But I'll keep my 358 Winchester BLR and would not trade it for the 338 ME.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:Is it possible that one can reload to duplicate the factory ballistics? (I already know the answer.) However, one can load to match the .33 Winchester, one just needs bullets.

It's my understanding that the powders they use in the 308 Marlin Express are not available to the genral public and therefore you cannot meet factory velocities with reloads of the same weight !

Also the rubber tipped bullet used in the 308 is not the same as the one used in the 30-30 LE ammo ! And they are only making one 30 cal rubber tipped bullet available to the reloader . So that leads me to believe it ain't the one thats used in the 308 EX !

And based on what I believe about the 308 EX I am thinking the same will pretty much hold true for the 338 EX for a couple years at least !

FWIW my plan is to try and get one of each version of the 338 EX ! And with the 338MXLR (stainless laminated) I plan to just shoot the rubber tipped factory stuff ! In the 338MX (blued walnut) I plan to kill a deer with the rubber tipped stuff and then dedicate that one to cast bullet work !

I already have a nice old Lyman 338320 GC mold for the 33 WCF so that looks like a good starting place for the rifle . And I think the Ranch Dog has all intentions of making a mold for the new cartridge as well ! Also might be an NEI mold or two I'll wanna try in this cartridge !

For jacketed I was most fortunate to lay in about 400 of the no longer made Hornady 338 caliber 200 grain FP bullets . They were originally purchased for use in my 33 WCF but might just get pressed into service in one of the 338 EX rifles !

For a couple months now my dealer has had a pair of Marlin 338 rifles , 5-10 boxes ammo and a set of RCBS or Redding dies on his list of things to get from his distributers for me !

On Marlinowners one guy posted today that he called Marlin and ETA for the new rifles will be mid 2009 meaning late june just like the 308 EX !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Scott Young wrote:how about a 22 something... i would love to see a zipper, bee, hornet, jet or anything 22 come out in a classic lever.

i also want a 219 zipper. oh but i am repeating a post i have posted many times over the years.
Back in the late 50's and early 60's Marlin made the 336SC in 219 Zipper ! I have one and it shoots well enough to kill groundhogs out to maybe 200 yards !

Marlin also made the 218 Bee in the 1894Cl from about 1988 until I think 1993 . Have one of these as well and I have it set up to be a wonderfull 22 cast bullet centerfire squirrel rifle !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bcp wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:For me the question is not about how well the 338 Marlin Express will be , but rather what will be the next caliber unveiled in this line of cartridges ! As I'm sure they aren't quiet done yet !
I want a 25 Marlin Express.

Bruce
This is all personal opinion and speculation on my part ! But I think "if" they come out with a smaller caliber in the next year or two it will most likely be the 270 Marlin Express !

My own personal prefrence would be for the 264 Marlin Express with the 243 and 284 tied for second in my own wants :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

CowboyTutt wrote:I'm glad they have developed this cartridge. Anything to sell more leverguns. But I'll keep my 358 Winchester BLR and would not trade it for the 338 ME.

-Tutt
You see this new cartridge thing about like I do :!:

If it makes sales and keeps them in buisness we all benifit !

Glad you like ur BLR ! I had thoughts once of getting a pair of them in 270 WSM and 325 WSM ! Just never did feel as good in my hands as a Marlin does .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lastmohecken wrote:What will be interesting is watching to see how many of those new rounds will still be in Marlin's (or anybody's) lineup in a few short years. But who knows.
Prime example to that would be the 450 Marlin !

Marlin still has it in two different rifles in their lineup and if I'm not mistaken Browning still chambers the BLR for it !

From what I have "heard" the 308 Marlin Express has sold pretty well for the first 18 months or at least thats what I've been told ! And I would be willing to bet they'll keep it in the line a good 5-10 years at least after the sales drop off . The biggest thing that will keep the 308 and 338 Express going for a good while will be whether or not Hornady keeps making the ammo and makes both bullets avaiable to the reloader .
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

6pt-sika wrote:
handirifle wrote: Hornady is necking up the 308 ME and making a 338ME.
While they are releasing the 338 Marlin Express it is not the 308 Marlin Express case necked up to 338 !

The 338 Marlin Express was loosely based on the 376 Steyr case .

So although the names connect them somewhat the cases used to derive the new cartridges do not !

This thing first hit the news media when "Guns and Ammo TV" let the story "slip" on their show about 6 weeks ago !
At first I believed them when they said it was a slip ! Now I am inclined to believe it was slipped on purpose ! Either way it's okay with me !

As far as the 33 cal lever being back I didn't know it had left I have a nice old Marlin 1895 in 33 WCF that was made in 1910-1912 that still shoots quite well and has more then enough ability to kill a deer ! :wink:

You are right, and I knew that, but wasn't thinking when I wrote it.

As for being back, It left the lineup but is now back.

While I can't use any of the LE ammo where I live (CA lead free area) I'm glad to see Hornady and Marlin doing what they can to keep levers in the forefront of new guns.

As for longevity, the same can be said of the new(?) 338 federal, I think. The 338 WinMag is the only 338 that has seen something above dismal sales in the last couple decades.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I wish Browning would chamber stainless laminated stock BLR in .338 Federal
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The .338 ME ballistics can be duplicated with the old .33 Winchester, a cartridge that has 106 years of proven performance on most North American big game. I'll just stick with that, thank you. :P
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

handirifle wrote:As for longevity, the same can be said of the new(?) 338 federal, I think.
Handi , you're downing all my stuff :D

I have a 338 Federal barrel for my Encore Pro Hunter :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike D. wrote:The .338 ME ballistics can be duplicated with the old .33 Winchester, a cartridge that has 106 years of proven performance on most North American big game. I'll just stick with that, thank you. :P
I have a nice old Marlin 1895 that was made in the 1910-1912 time range . And it is factory chambered for the 33 WCF !

I plan on keeping my 33 WCF , my 338 Fedral and getting a couple of the 338 Marlin Express rifles !

And with that being said a 338-06 and 338 Ultra Mag don't sound to bad now that I think about it !
tonybelding
Levergunner

Post by tonybelding »

Mike D. wrote:The .338 ME ballistics can be duplicated with the old .33 Winchester
Can it? The ballistics I've seen quoted for 338 ME are a *lot* hotter than 33 WCF factory loads.

33 WCF = 200 gr @ 2200 ft/sec = 2150 ft-lbs

338 ME = 200 gr @ 2560 ft/sec = 2910 ft-lbs

In fact. . . Chuck Hawks suggested that Hornady should offer a "reduced recoil" load for 338 ME, and the ballistics he described for it were still somewhat hotter than 33 WCF factory loads.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hmmm... the .338 RUM/Edge that I just posted video of runs to 2830 - 3390... :mrgreen:

http://defensiveedge.net/338%20edge/338%20edge.htm

Bullet: Sierra 250 gr. SMK
Case: Remington
Primer: CCI BR2
Powder: RL-25
Charge: 99.0 gr.
OAL: 3.685”
Velocity: 3094 fps
ES: 24 fps
Bullet: Nosler 200 gr. Ballistic tip
Case: Remington
Primer: CCI BR2
Powder: RL-25
Charge: 104.0 gr.
OAL: 3.725”
Velocity: 3390 fps
ES: 28 fps

Notes: Groups .218”-.294” @ 100 yards
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with some of the comments - just give me a 358 Winchester; I already have .357 Mag and .35 Rem; I don't need a new 'diameter' but maybe a new 'speed' would be nice.

.22 Hornet or .25-35 would be nice...

And I STILL want my .460 S&W LEVERGUN...! (with .454 Casull optional for 'light days' :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

O.I., how many shots to the string(s)? Nice cartridge by the way. I think I still prefer my 375 H&H A.I. in a CZ550 but I am suitably impressed with the "Edge". Wow. :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:Hmmm... the .338 RUM/Edge that I just posted video of runs to 2830 - 3390... :mrgreen:
I have no less then three friends that all own 338 Remington Ultra Mags ! And I've shot them ALL from the bench ! They all shoot great ! Although two are a good bit more pleasent for the shooter as they both have doggy dicks (muzzle brakes) . The one without the brake isn't so bad either in my somewhat biased opinion !
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

who can rechamber a model 94 30-30 to this new cartridge for me. this looks like the one i've been waiting for.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tman wrote:who can rechamber a model 94 30-30 to this new cartridge for me. this looks like the one i've been waiting for.
You beter find you a 94 Big Bore to rebarrel .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights , do ya have much info on the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum ?

Yep that one intrests me as well :D
DiamondD
Levergunner

Post by DiamondD »

I'll be buying one as soon as they are available. My dad has an old custom Contender pistol in .338-08 and I always thought a lever gun in that caliber would be sweet. When the .338 Federal came out I was really hoping that Marlin would chamber a lever in that caliber. I am still planning to buy one of the Ruger Frontier rifles in .338 Federal and I will get a Marlin in this new loading also. A BLR in .338 Federal is also on my list if they ever offer it.
Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean