"Best" Tang and/or Peep Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rick-F
Levergunner

"Best" Tang and/or Peep Sight

Post by Rick-F »

I recently acquired a new (.357 Mag) Rossi/Puma M92 short rifle (20" octagon barrel); the finish is color case hardened and blue with dark wood. With my aging eyes, I need a new sight-- but I want it to look "right" for the period of the rifle.

My criteria for selection is not complicated:

* Quick acquisition of the target
* Improved Accuracy (50 to 125 yards mostly)
* It needs to look like something that would not have out of place on a 1892 Winchester

I truly loved some of the side mount Peep sights by Williams with respect to ease of use and accuracy, but they are just too moderen for what I am looking for.

I've researched brands/types like Pederdoli, Marble, Lyman, Pacific, Creedmoor, and Soule

I have just about firmed up my selection on a Marble's-- but I have not actually every used one. Am I missing anything obvious here? :?:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Best" Tang and/or Peep Sight

Post by El Chivo »

Marbles are great, haven't tried the others. They are my first choice.

For a fixed sight the Williams WGRS is nice and slim, and it stays put.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I tried Lyman and Marbles tang sights on my original 1873 and 1886. Both look period correct, with the slimmer Lyman probably having the edge. I settled for the Marbles because the windage adjustment means you don't have to shim the sight if the tang is out of true. You can drill the eye cup aperture to suit your eyesight and range and for close work just take it out altogether and use it as a ghost ring. For a front sight my preference is the Beeches combination sight - it hinges to give you a bead and post or a blade.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Paratrooper Dave
Levergunner

Post by Paratrooper Dave »

11/20/08

Take a look at Skinner's peep sights. Skinner is located up in Montana.

They are easy looking, not complex and do a great job.

Paratrooper Dave
Rick-F
Levergunner

Post by Rick-F »

Thanks for the information / advice. I really do like Tim Skinner's sights, and if I owned a Marlin lever with side eject, I'd for sure get one. But for the top ejection on the "92", I need a tang type to get the front sight near my eye and increase the distance twixt the front and rear sights.

I'm going with the Marble's. This should facilitate sighting when changing between 38 SP and .357 Mag also.

Again, thanks for the feed back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd get one of these for $65. It's a copy of the Win. midrange sight, and was a high priced option on the 1892 Win., so would be right at home on your Puma.
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... egoryid=67
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't much care for tang mounted sights, but the "BEST" receiver sight is the original Lyman #56. I have them on several of my Winchesters and like them tremendously. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I like the looks of the Williams sights, but I can't figure out which set would work on my Puma 92...anyone know?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For period look, the tang is the way to go. Of the Lyman or Marbles, the Marbles is the more convienent to use with its windage adjustment.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I don't know anything about the tang sight, I want something similar to the factory sight...just an upgrade.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I have looked more seriously at the tang sight, there is an argument for this type of sight. I have never used a tang and am not sure how it can be faster or easier...but this may be a time to trust those who know more. Ii DO like the large peep style on the marble site, anyone know how that woould do (look)?
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Ismithart, The Puma is basically a Winchester M. 92 clone. The upper tang will accapt the M.92 sight model. You will need to drill one hole for the front screw in the tang. I use tang sights on all of my Winchesters. Just having to look at the front sight and target is great for old, farsighted eyes. Be sure you receive a METRIC threaded screw for the new longer stock screw that retains the tang sight at the rear. A couple of times I have purchased Lyman sights, and I have gotten both American and metric screws. I don't know if that is still the case though.
The tang sight is much faster to use since you ignore the rear sight. Your eye optically centers on it so you can use the sight without any inserts for hunting, and one of the inserts for target practice if you wish.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

lsmithhart wrote:I don't know anything about the tang sight, I want something similar to the factory sight...just an upgrade.
What Gun Smith said.

Maybe something along the lines of this reproduction sight from Jeff's Outfitters, Winchester Repro 73, 76 and 86 Serrated Adj Sight and they have an excellent valued tang sight also: Winchester Tang Peep Sight; (but as Gun Smith noted I'm not sure if a metric threaded buttstock screw is available).
anyone know how that woould do (look)?
Something like this:
(not a Marbles or Lyman, but an early prototype copy of modern manufacture)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I would like to thank you both, I may end up with both. I just readabout a cowboy shooter, he uses the Marbles tang. At a recent event, he broke it off and was unable to continue (at least with any success), so he now uses both. He has a brownell rear sight lowered 2 notches and a Marble tang. If he breaks his tang, he raises his rear (flat) sight and continues. I like that redundant sight idea.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

Does this seem to be a logical idea (approach)?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

lsmithhart wrote:
lsmithhart wrote:I would like to thank you both, I may end up with both. I just readabout a cowboy shooter, he uses the Marbles tang. At a recent event, he broke it off and was unable to continue (at least with any success), so he now uses both. He has a brownell rear sight lowered 2 notches and a Marble tang. If he breaks his tang, he raises his rear (flat) sight and continues. I like that redundant sight idea.
Does this seem to be a logical idea (approach)?
I would have to heartily agree. Although my tang sight has been on the pictured rifle for some 18, goin' into 19 years. While it doesn't get the use a CAS main match rifle gets, it does go to many a match as a long range rifle and every hunting trip as either the back-up or primary. I would like to see Marbles re-introduce (or even a quality reproduction of) this sight:Image
for just that reason.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I just saw that sight...brownell? Yes I think it was called a full buckhorn? But I know I just saw it.

Thanks again, it is my first lever action...I love it.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

http://www.oneraggedhole.com. Also available from Brownells, which might be the easiest anyways as you'll need a replacement Winchester sight to mount it on.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Rick-F wrote:I recently acquired a new (.357 Mag) Rossi/Puma M92 short rifle (20" octagon barrel); the finish is color case hardened and blue with dark wood. With my aging eyes, I need a new sight-- but I want it to look "right" for the period of the rifle.

My criteria for selection is not complicated:

* Quick acquisition of the target
* Improved Accuracy (50 to 125 yards mostly)
* It needs to look like something that would not have out of place on a 1892 Winchester

I truly loved some of the side mount Peep sights by Williams with respect to ease of use and accuracy, but they are just too moderen for what I am looking for.

I've researched brands/types like Pederdoli, Marble, Lyman, Pacific, Creedmoor, and Soule

I have just about firmed up my selection on a Marble's-- but I have not actually every used one. Am I missing anything obvious here? :?:
www.williamsgunsight.com while on the site check out all of their used handguns,rifles,shotguns,scopes,blackpowder weapons!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, the one I pictured simply fits into the dovetail and can fold down so it's out of the way for tang sight use. The one Marble's makes now only comes in a "flat top" version... the full buckhorn would be excellent on a period appearing arm.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

Not my favorite look, but if it works for you, it's good. I made up my mind, bought the Marbles tang and folding rear sight. It's a done deal.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

The Marbles sight can be had in "full buckhorn" and it folds down to make room for the Tang sight. I have just bought them both, can't wait to check them out together. I'll keep you posted.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

I really like the combination, seems right. I haven't shot it yet, but will soon, just looks good mounted. I did buy the flat top rear sight, I liked it.
lsmithhart
Levergunner

Post by lsmithhart »

Gotta tell you, it was a bit of work getting in fine tuned, but it is nice. i understand now, the need for the tang sight. Faster targeting, better shooting all around.