Impressions of a Savage 99A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Impressions of a Savage 99A

Post by Goat »

I spent yesterday doing one of my most favorite things in life.....deer hunting. It was a horrible day with the moon so bright through the night and winds blowing 20-30 mph all day long. We are not used to winds like this and the deer stay bedded all day. BUT I spent my first day in the woods with my latest toy, a late production Savage 99A in 250/3000. It was great! I have played with it some around the house and at my range behind the house but was I pleasantly surprised when I had it in my hands while in the woods. I do not think that I have ever had a better feeling rifle in my hands. It packs and ballances wonderfully. It has that magical quality that defies words and I can only say that it feels "right."I know some of you purist will scoff but mine wears a Leupold VX II 2-7x that seems made for this gun. I bought this rifle off of gunbroker.com a few months ago and could hardly be more pleased. It was advertised as being 98% and it is awful close. It presently wears no sling since it came with no sling mounting studs installed. I would really like to have a sling on it to get both hands free when climbing in and out of stands. I never intend to sell it so I do not mind installing the sling swivel studs. Since this model has the slim schnabnel(sp) fore-end would I be better off using a barrel band for the front swivel? I foresee many hunts with this rifle.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Impressions of a Savage 99A

Post by mescalero1 »

My ( just aquired ) .358 Win. is a 99 A
Does aquired look right to you?
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I too have a 99 in .250-3000 Savage. They are an outstanding example of American craftsmanship and ingenuity.

My sling swivel mount is in the forearm...which is the thicker model. I have no experience with the barrel mounted swivel, so I can't help you there. I have though seen on some auctioned 99's; a forearm swivel...that combines with the forearm attaching screw, thus elimination the need for more drilling in wood. Which in your case, sounds undesirable. You may wish to search Brownell's or Uncle Mike's for such gadgets.

Good luck with your rifle....and don't be shy about showing us some pictures of it!!! :wink:
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Goat, I have a couple of vintage rifles I didn't want to alter for studs and swivels, so I improvised a sling. Wroked so well I took the slings off of my other rifles, and now use my homemade slings exclusively.

I buy 42" super bungee cords at walmart, the king that look like giant alastic bands because ... well, they're giant elastic bands! I cut off the hooks. On one end, I fold and sew the elastic into a loop just big enough to slip over the barrel and stretch over the fore end. Then I cut about 5" off the other end and sew it into a circle. Next, I sew the circle at a right angle onto the loose end.

To employ the sling, I slip the large circle loop over the buttstock. The other end is passed under the butt of the rifle, then under the loop that's stretched over the stock, then stretch the whole thing and slip the small loop at the other end over the barrel and forend. In use, the sling holds the rifle securely and comfortably on the shoulder, and it holds it in close to the body. Slip it off of the shoulder and it the sling snugs up tight along the side of the stock, out of the way and immune to snagging on branches and such. The converted bungee cord even has enough tension that you can get surprisingly good results using it as a hasty sling from numerous shooting positions. To top it off, these slings cost me $2.47 each and will work on any long gun.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

mescalero1,"acquired." Does that "look" better?
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

or buy a shotgun sling
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes, thank you; thought it was not correct.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You're darn right about us purists and that 2-7. It oughta have a straight 2 1/2, 3, or 4x on it. Thats all I have on mine. By God I am strict on this - no variables on levers. Why as penance send that to me an keep that heretic scope. 8) :lol:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Old Savage,
My Savage 99, 250-3000 has iron on it, if it gets glass, it will be a low powered fixed.
Is that OK ?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

With the schnabel front end I would look into a barrel band . To me it looks better and doesn'r stress the forewood.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I agree on the barrel band if you are going to sling it but, the bungee idea has me intreagued enough to give it a try.
JDL
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This works very well but I don't use a sling to shoot.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescalero, I am proud to use post 2000 to say YES those are a natural for these rifles and I would break the rule for the 1.5 to 5x Leupold.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have thought about it a lot, low power fixed is the way to go, 56 year old eyes need help.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Goat, I remember that I once had a 99 that had the forearm screw made with the sling eye affixed to it. I'm sure there is still some of them around, so another option to the barrel band.
JDL
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My .358 Win. came with that set up, it is all one piece.
Screw, swivel ,loop.