OT - Culling a Brain Dead Deer...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

OT - Culling a Brain Dead Deer...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not me, and not sure it really should have been posted to Youtube, but that was one strange animal... Definately needed removing from the gene pool...

The comments are typically irratating though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJbf81A5ajY
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Culling a Brain Dead Deer...

Post by morgan in nm »

The deer I killed was just about that close :lol: I wonder if they could have got that thing to jump in the back of the pickup before they shot it? :roll:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Prolly was someones pet.
There was a cow Elk that lived about a mile from me that was just like a milk cow out in the field of a five acre lot with many houses around. Some joker from Seattle dumped it and drove up the peoples drive and parked next to their house to go retrieve it. The Police were there before they could get it loaded. :x It was LEGAL but not a sporting thing to do. :o
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That deformed antler makes me think it either cracked a Base at some point or has some serious genetics issues... neither of which would make me think Pet.

The guys on the tape also seemed pretty flabbergasted at the whole thing, so if it was a pet, they sure didn't know whose it was... and if it was an excapee, well, then again, it needed culling before it killed someone/bred.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

True sportsmen.

Takes a a real man to shoot something that wild.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Old Ironsights wrote:That deformed antler makes me think it either cracked a Base at some point or has some serious genetics issues... neither of which would make me think Pet.

The guys on the tape also seemed pretty flabbergasted at the whole thing, so if it was a pet, they sure didn't know whose it was... and if it was an excapee, well, then again, it needed culling before it killed someone/bred.
That was my first impression too, an injured deer.

If they were hunting legally there is no issue, meat is meat.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2571 wrote:True sportsmen.

And yet, would you want an injured/deformed/genetic anomoly to live to breed?

Better a quick Shot than being ripped apart by coyotes or come through the windshield of your kid's car...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

2571 wrote:True sportsmen.

It's as simple as apple pie, man. That thing was junk and needed trimmed from the population. It isn't any different than some farmer getting rid of a junk cow. Should the farmer have to make it sporting too? Would you go to a butcher shop and say that, sarcasim and all, to the guys putting down the animals? Probably not, but yet it's the same thing.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I'd be too embarrassed to put my picture up on youtube with that kill though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Those fellows didn't do anything wrong per se, but it's a rather sad documentary of the event.

At least it was just one clean shot.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stupid.

I agree - it was either a pet that escaped, a petting zoo animal that escaped, or just mentally defective. In any case, allowing it to breed isn't smart, and culling it was the right thing to do. It was a good, clean, painless quick kill.

However, the vast majority of the population isn't going to see it that way. They are going to see two heartless hunters that killed a friendly deer, especially after it got itself tangled in some vines. Posting this video just gives fuel to the fire of those that would take away our hunting rights and traditions.

Way to go guys - paint the stereotype picture for the anti's for them... :evil:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

That was nothing wrong with that animal....
Probably was raised around or close to humans....
or was fed by one of the locals...
The reason for the deformed antler is he was probably
injured on the opposite side in a fight, shot, maybe hit by
a car ....some kind of injury....I pretty sure thats not genetic
defect at all....
And filming the event....what a dumb@#$
They are not sportsman...at all
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Ysabel & others are right, these idiots caused a LOT of PR damage for sportsmen........as if we need more, with things as they are. The video is just more ammo for the anti's, IMO. jd45
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:That was nothing wrong with that animal....
Probably was raised around or close to humans....
or was fed by one of the locals...
Yep, t me nothing about that animal says sick or dumb. It's just spent way too much time close to humans.

Taking the deer was debatable. Posting the video on youtube is downright stupid. Just gives us all an image as being cruel bastards.

~Michael
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Right on Slick! jd45
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yeah, posting the video was stupid, but as someone who has been around a few Cervid Breeding Operations, all I know is that Deer don't become genericly inured to humans... just the ones who handle them regularly.

When I visited one operation, the deer would walk up to the Owner/Breeder, but flag & run from me... and would run - though with less vigor - from the two of us together.

That deer was brain damaged. (Its gait looked weird to me too...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

We border Yosemite Nat'l Park and get these brain damaged deer wondering through the property from time to time. They have this "Hey! I'm protected!" attitude. Guess again, Bucko... :twisted:
Tom

(I really think the brain damaged ones are the idiots that filmed and posted to YouTube. Dumb dumb dumb...)
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

At the edge of Jackson Hole there is a whole herd that will come up and eat out of your hand. I stood there one afternoon hand feeding them apples near the front of the Motel we'd gotten for an early flight out the next morning. They would have followed me into the Motel room if I'd have let them. All the locals there who owned homes near the base of the ridge had been feeding them for years. Nothing wrong with them except they had been conditioned to see humans as friends and not foe....personally I found both the shooting and the filming in poor taste.

Ed
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've always thought it strange that I am not allowed to shoot a goose sitting in a cornfield in the head with a .223 (or shotgun, or whatever) assuring an instant and clean kill, but rather have to be "sporting" and shoot it out of the air while flying, with a shotgun that may wound it and other birds, and cripple but not kill.

Same thing with a deer. If it has "issues" what were they supposed to do...turn it loose in a football stadium, and have guys up in the stands shoot at it with pistols? Sure, that would be "sporting" but in terms of the suffering, and fright of the deer, just shoot it in the quickest, most humane way possible. Then, if it is safe to eat, do that too!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Stupid.

I agree - it was either a pet that escaped, a petting zoo animal that escaped, or just mentally defective. In any case, allowing it to breed isn't smart, and culling it was the right thing to do. It was a good, clean, painless quick kill.

However, the vast majority of the population isn't going to see it that way. They are going to see two heartless hunters that killed a friendly deer, especially after it got itself tangled in some vines. Posting this video just gives fuel to the fire of those that would take away our hunting rights and traditions.

+1 - And why the high five at the end? Didn't make hunting look like much of a sport.
It was good to put the deer down, but the attitude wasn't very impressive. They had no respect for that animal.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering the way he acted around humans, and the fact he had the one deformed antler. I'd surmise he had a injury to the opposite leg and had been cared for by humans and got used to not fearing them.
I find the whole thing disgusting, and not worthy of further comment.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

AJMD429, they WEREN'T supposed to put it on video for all the anti-sportsman world to use against us! What don't you understand about that? THAT'S the more important aspect of this incident, NOT whether they should've "put it out of its misery" or not. jd45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bogie35 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Stupid.
+1 - And why the high five at the end? Didn't make hunting look like much of a sport.
It was good to put the deer down, but the attitude wasn't very impressive. They had no respect for that animal.

bogie
Didn't see the video (dial-up blues), but it really frosts my sphincter when I see someone be cruel to an animal, or if killing it, fail to do it humanely and with some modicum of respect. Failing that is not only morally wrong, but also feeds into the anti-gun fire.

So, (our posts crossed in the ether) JD45, I agree with you!

One of the reasons I believe in hunting is that the animal should be treated more reverently than at the stockyard.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

AJMD429, thanx......I'm glad we're on the same page. jd45
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

AJMD429 wrote: but rather have to be "sporting" and shoot it out of the air while flying,
And have to shoot it with crappy steel shot (unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for stuff like Remington HD) that doesn't do the job very well. But hey, I guess it's better to wound an animal and have it fly off and suffer and die, than risk possibly putting a lead pellet somewhere where another waterfowl may eat it and die. :roll:

~Michael
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

This is interesting...

There is Political Correctness even in hunting... brought on by what? The opinions of those who don't hink anyone should enjoy killing an animal?

I agree that the video should not have been posted, but...

Since when is it important for us to judge the post-kill attitude of others?

(1) We don't have any information other than what we see.
(2) The kill was clean and instantaneous - they could have terrorized/tortured the poor thing, but they didn't.
(3) It doesn't matter if it was tame or not - it was apparantly not in an enclosure (from the astonishment heard) so it posed a threat either to genetics, vehicles or was doomed to some other bloody/painful death. It's not like it was wearing a collar.
(4) Nobody would complain at the attitude of the shooter had he shot a TRAPPED coyote that way. Why not? What makes a deer different/sacred?
(5) I have a dark/sick/ironic sense of humor... I would be likely to say somthing similar... out of context that could easily be misinterpreted. We don't know anything about the pre or post kill discussion.

Here in Indiana we have a One Buck Rule - that is, unless you have been drawn for a special hunt. I would most certainly have Culled that buck - even though it would have "cost" me my antler permit. My personal attitude on culling such an animal would mostly be pity... but I would also be somewhat freaked out by it, so who knows? I don't get off on antlers anyway, so I don't get the fistpumping that comes from shooting a 155" either.

But all in all, seeing this discussion going on 3 different forums is an interesting study...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!