Help w/94 price. lots of pixs.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Help w/94 price. lots of pixs.

Post by Jay Bird »

What do you guys think she's worth? Me pops ain't answering phone. Do you think it was reblued? Can you get butt plate? Made in 1920 30/30 SRC. Yes, I want to sell this, after i get butt plate.
Image,
[ihttp://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P1040205.JPG[/img]mg]
Jay Bird

Re: Help w/94 price. lots of pixs.

Post by Jay Bird »

Image I know, clean my finger nails.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If it's a reblue, whomever did the polishing was very good/careful - as the lettering all seems full and original.

The buttplate not withstanding, it's condition & model seems to put it in the "shooter" category, IMO.

I like the carbine butt - I woulda liked to also see a carbine rear sight on there, to go along with it & the carbine front sight.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun jr,

Value, I have no idea. It is however a twin to my very first Win 1894 SRC I had when I was 15. Only difference between yours and the one I had is mine had a trap door in the butplate.
Were the financial situation not what it is, I'd make an offer. But if I did that everyone on this forum would tar and feather me.

I'll have to check with the boss lady and see what she says. Yeah right Joe, get real :roll:

Joewhothinkshe'sdueforanothernewtohimgun.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The old man will turn it into a masterpiece.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The old man???????? Cripes, he is the same age as me; what's wrong with me?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't know a value either but is does look like it would be a nice gun to have. Good luck with it.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dude,
You done well young man!! :D :D That sure is a purty SRC. :D With me working the East Coast and you working the West, we ought to have the Winchester market cornered in about 10 years. :D :D
Well, that IS a nice gun for a SRC as most are abused, neglected and used as tools. We will find you a buttplate and the correct barrel sight. Leave that gun ALONE and don't let me touch it. Besides, I will never touch the finish on a gun that has any blue left on it---only junkers that have been pitted or "gunshop reblued". Give that wood some moisture in the way of a wood conditioner--one that does not alter the finish or the color of the wood. Sold at any better hardware stores that deal in furniture refinishing. Don't go popping the wood off the gun as with your impatience, you will crack the upper tang area.

Leave it alone--condition the wood--get a butt plate---get a correct barrel sight----give it to YO PAPPA-------------Good one dude----give me a call---------------------------The original Sixgun-------- :D :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice little carbine. I wouldn't touch anything other than to do what your papa said to. I'd say it's worth about $50 bucks. Just tell me where to send the money and I'll get it right out in tomorrow's mail. :D
Old Law Dawg
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

If you think it has been reblued, it usually was.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't think it's been re-blued... although thru pictures it's often hard to tell. If so, it was done quite some time ago, I'd say late '40's to early '50's or has seen some real hard use since. But... the condition of the lever, link and hammer say not. That Marble's rear sight might be original, and if not a re-blue, lacking the original buttplate, I'd say the value is in the $800-$1,000 range. But... most any buttplate you find will not match the age of the rifle or its condition and will reduce the value.

As for the buttplate, they used to be available from: Precision Gun Stocks, but they currently list them as "unavailable"... Maybe a phone call could get ya closer to locatin' one?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's one! Good price - I think. $39 Buy Now! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =114346314

Says its a repro - but it looks good - is the blued one.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Numrich has the buttplate.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yep - $14.80 too.

But it looks a little cheap? Compared to the one in the auction?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks,
Do you think those butt plates will look right on the gun. For 14.80 i should give it a try. :mrgreen:
I thought the gun was untouched, but I was not positive.
What about that sight. It's not original.Image
What do I need?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The sight is not original, but it does look like it has seen a lot of the same wear as the gun overall. It will certainly do until you can find an original replacement - and you don't need to be in a hurry to do so (can wait for a "deal" if any are left), since the Marbles sight looks pretty natural on the gun!

Congrats!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Listen to the old man, oh my ; here I go again!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun jr,

Marbles had and has two lengths of rear sights. Long for the rifles, and short for the carbines. I believe they also have long and short elevators.
I "think" that might be a rifle length rear sight. It just looks like it comes back too close to the receiver bridge.
You can check with the Marble site, I think they have the dimensions of their sights listed.

As for what it left the factory with, I'll bet it was one of these:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3023.htm

JMHO, I wouldn't go for the cheep butt plate. Were it mine I'd be surfing the net for a gently used original. Might be more expensive, but that carbine's worth it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Your pics tell me that it is definitely not reblued, or seriously messed with. As to value, that is subjective, of course. I wouldn't give much more than 7-800 bucks for any .30-30, but that's just me. Make it a .32-40 or 38-55 and the situation will get interesting. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The gun has not been reblued. I don't think it has ever been completely apart. Look at the screw heads, hardly a blemish or nick. I don't collect M.94's, but it could be considered collectible with a correct butt plate. The Marbles rear sight was not available from the factory as a special until 1928. This gun was manufactured about 1921. With over 5,000,000 M.94's produced the gun is not rare by defination, but I think it is worth at least $600-700, and maybe more. The missing buttplate will affect the value as a collector or shooter and a worn original in similar condition would need to be installed to be more correct. It should not be sold as ORIGINAL and the replaced buttplate should be noted in a sale situation to avoid misrepresentation.
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

sixgun: Email me your address and phone number as I am going to be thru Morrison in about a week. I have a couple SRC in your serial number range and would sure be interested in looking at yours if that is okay. Let me know.. :) :)
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

id put a limbsaver butt pad on it :mrgreen:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

$200 would be my absolute top dollar. And that's if I really wanted it; there are too many good deals out there for the one that really looks!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow, Travis were do you live? Personally, I won't buy this junk for $150. :wink: My gun value book says 60% at $1500. :P
As far as the sight goes, I think I'm goig to put a Tang on it and remove the Marbles.
Thanks fellas for all the replies and help.
Sixgun Jr.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Like I said; IF I really wanted it!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1