An idea for semi-cheap easy to make targets.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

An idea for semi-cheap easy to make targets.

Post by AJMD429 »

Sometimes I run out of targets and still want a nice one for sighting in or whatever. I've seen, downloaded, and designed some targets to print on 8-1/2 x 11 printer paper, but they use LOTS of ink - mostly for the bullseye.

Of course any old scrap paper or box and a black marker and I can make an 'aiming point' of sorts, but it is nice to have a more presentable target if you might want to save it or scan it; it is also nice to have them already the right size to put in a three ring binder, but most don't come from the factory that size.

Dilemma solved when looking through the 'junk drawer' - I found a bunch of old "Mr. Yuk" stickers with an obsolete phone number, and some other 'dot' type stickers, and got an idea... :idea:

Since the grid part doesn't use much ink, I use the printer to just print a nice one-inch grid, without a 'bullseye' and then I use one of the stickers for the center. Or have the printer draw a circle in the very middle, unfilled, and fill in the center circle with a cheap black marker (or can of spray paint and stencil I suppose would work too).

(Now, if I can just print some with a two-inch grid, and use my .444 at 25 yards, the holes will look like .22 holes compared to the grid lines, and I can say I shot them at 100 yards with my .22 pistol. . . :twisted: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An idea for semi-cheap easy to make targets.

Post by marlinman93 »

I use butcher paper and black paster squares for covering bullet holes. Very cheap, and I can make them as I go at the range.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

FYI, I bought some of these Caldwell - Shoot N See type targets at Midway. They are "factory seconds", but I can't find anything wrong with them. 50 to a pack and the price seemed fair. They're on sale, as well as the larger 8" targets.

Factory Second Targets
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I found a pack of bullseye stickers at wally world in the bottom of the target rack. They are 1, 2 and 3" in size and orange/black in color. I put them on paper plates and have hundreds of targets for pocket change. I am sure they would look good stuck on your grid paper.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I took a piece of typing paper, drew vertical and horizontal lines dividing it into 4 equal squares. Then I divided each square the same way. I then drew a 1/2 inch square (circle can be substituted) where the lines bisected. This gives me 5 sighting squares on each sheet of paper, and they can be duplicated on any copy machine or copy/printer for little cost. I use them mostly for 25 yd sight ins for .22 rifles, but can be used for about anything. If need be can darken the 1/2 square with black marker for easier seeing.

Rich
UNITE
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Pipe gaskets make good stencils...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cheap targets eh? isn't this a political topic ??

:lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The biggest red, blue or other dark color large paper plates make good targets.

The ones that I print on my computer have 6" circles and are too small for 100 yard shooting with apterture/bead sights. The beads completely cover the sights and and you can't tell where you are on target - even with both eyes open (the way I try to shoot) its hard to tell.

I think the large paper plates will be an improvement - that's what I'm going to try.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

No Grizz the topic is cheap targets, not worthless targets.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Go to Wallmart and buy a couple of packs of graph paper. Most come with 1/4i n squares, then pull out your sharpie and fill a couple of squares for your "target" works well for me.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

$

Post by Ray Newman »

paper plates!

The local WalMart sells 9" dia. orange or black paper plates -- 20 for a buck. I just stocked up on 240 for "targets", came to just about US $14.00, inc. tax. In the spring & summer they also have red paper plates.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cheapo paper plates and a black magic marker.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

I got almost a full case of computer paper at a yard sale for $1.50, took a piece of 1/4" plywood and cut it same size as the paper. Cut 9 round holes in it and layed it over the paper and used a can of black spray paint (you can use any color you want). When ever I get ready to go shoot I just spray up a bunch of targets.
Guess you could make the holes any size ya wanted. I also make up shoot and see targets by taking thin white cardboard (or other light colored cardboard) cover it with a couple wraps of saran wrap, then spray panting it black. At first the saran wrap tightens up but settles down. (got the saran wrap idea from one of the members on Graybeard Outdoors forum)

Gun Runner
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I get free cardboard from work, I also take a can of spray paint (Walmart has it for 99c). I have an empty tin can with both ends cut out that I spray into for a nice, quick circle.

I just made up a small target frame that holds up a 12" square cardboard, easier to pack away. Of course now I have to hit it!

It's windy out where I shoot and I'm tired of the paper targets blowing off and I'm tired of stapling them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Rubber target stamp and an ink pad. Use old computer paper or masking paper. Cheapest way is to aim at the staples if using a scope.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like Steel...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

deerwhacker444 wrote:FYI, I bought some of these Caldwell - Shoot N See type targets at Midway. They are "factory seconds", but I can't find anything wrong with them. 50 to a pack and the price seemed fair. They're on sale, as well as the larger 8" targets.

Factory Second Targets
I went to order them, and they wanted more than $9 for shipping and a "special handling charge" of $3. What a rip off! Why a SHC -- it isn't like primers or ammo...I don't get it.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rusty wrote:No Grizz the topic is cheap targets, not worthless targets.
what 's cheaper than a politician?
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

SoupOrMan
Levergunner

Post by SoupOrMan »

For my plinking targets, I use some old white 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper with a half-dollar sized piece of painter's masking tape in the middle. For anything beyond 25 yards, I'll bust out the color-change targets since I may not have a spotting scope with me.