Opening Day Woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Opening Day Woes

Post by El Chivo »

Well, I was excited about Opening Day today, I packed all my stuff a day in advance so I wouldn't forget anything. After work I went right home, to get in some sleep, and got going nice and early. Even had time to stop for take-out coffee.

At the trailhead I was patting myself on the back at how smooth things were going, I figured to be at my spot about 15 minutes before dawn.

So I started down the path, and all was going well until I reached this small brushy area about 150 yards deep and maybe 300 yards long. Somehow I took the wrong fork and ended up in a dead end. So I backtracked, tried again, and got lost again. This went on for 45 minutes. I was so exhausted my leg muscles were getting rubbery, I was soaking wet and starting to trip over things. I just could not get out of it. Each time I thought I'd found the path, I'd end up confronting an impenetrable tree or steep embankment. I've been through this area at least 30 times.

I had a lantern which was nice and bright, but does not cover a large area. Needless to say the deer were looking down on me and laughing as I crashed through the brush. When the first bit of light started to come up, I got on the right path and headed on, but didn't get to my spot until 30 minutes after dawn.

Needless to say I didn't see anything, but I did lose some stuff (the brush has fingers that reach into your pack and pulls things out. It also undoes your shoelaces, no matter how many double knots you tie them in). It was so cold and windy I was shivering more than I ever did in a Chicago winter. I decided to cut it short before I got blown off a cliff. I got back to the trailhead in time to help another guy (who arrived way after I did) load his buck into his pickup.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Re: Opening Day Woes

Post by Hobie »

So, you got to go hunting? Wow! Wish I was there. :wink: Seriously, look at all the guys who DIDN'T get to go today (including me).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Humbling ain't it :D
Good luck next time, next time will get you a monster now just you see!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

So, other than that, how was your day? :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hey, at least you get to go hunting again. If you stepped out of the truck and killed a deer right away, you'd be done and have to go home. :D
NRA Life Member
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

First, fold socks over boot laces.

Second, I won't get out this weekend unless the neice decides she's not too sick to rabbit hunt (only reason I can go afield this weekend as we have put in 3 months at the range and her school schedule doesn't leave much time).

Third, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. I will have to wait until next weekend and hope I get enough work done beforehand.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

So, Mrs Lincoln, aside from THAT, how did you enjoy the play :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

So,......... ahm.................was the take out coffee any good? :)

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been there. Then bought a GPS. Cheatn' but what are ya gonna do?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i would love to hunt on land I could get lost on. I am afraid I know my hunting area so well, and its so limited in area, that i could not possibly get lost
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

There's always tommorow. Hope you have better luck later.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Early bird doesn't always get the worm. That cold wind that blew in to kill the 94 degree weather is a bit different than 3 days ago.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Well at least you got out, and you have several more weeks to try and fill your tag. Cover a lot of ground and have fun...that's the best we can do in SoCal.

I just went shooting yesteday in preparation for the D16 opener. I'll be heading out for my first day on the 26th. Hopefully you'll have your buck by then....

Pray for no big fires with the upcoming Santa Anas so the forests stay open.

Good luck!
Chad
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Things happen.
I been working at killing a deer for a few weeks now & havent scored yet, I seen a bunch & missed 2 clean, I'm bowhunting tho. Anyway I'm happy just to be able to get afield. When its time I'll kill one & when its time you will too. :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wish I was stumbling around the woods, even if I never found the trail! :wink: I wont even be hunting this year (first time in 40 years!) due to Oregon's draw system, and no tags for me!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Back when I thought I could quietly slip through the woods and get to my deer stand without deer knowing it, I had cut a path and carefully picked up sticks and brushed noisy leaves out of the way - the path was maybe 300 yards starting by our barn and heading into the woods. If there was dew on the remaining leaves, I could go so quietly in the dark that my amplifying ear muffs could be on 'maximum' and I'd barely hear my own footfalls.

Opening day came, and I was 75% of the way to the stand, and suddenly a deer 'sneeze' scared the heck out of me (amplifiers on 'max' you know) - it was really close, and now I thought do I just move, and resign myself to no deer for a couple hours, or stand stock still and hope I'm not detected. I stood VERY still, breathing slowly and lightly, for what seemed like an hour (probably was about 15 minutes). Then I hear several deer quietly start moving and browsing, so I stay in place; finally after another 15 minutes they casually moved along. I had DONE it! Outsmarted the deer! Man, was I cool.

So, I resumed my cat-walk to the stand, and as I carefully felt for the ladder side in the dark, I knocked loose the arm-rest that I'd forgotten to secure and just hung on the side of the stand. I think the metal arm-rest hit every metal step on the stand on its way down to the ground.

What was worse, is that as soon as the echoes of that metal clanging stopped, I hear MORE deer scampering off in all directions, snorting and so on.

As I climbed back down to retrieve the armrest, I just started singing and yelling and so on; I figured it would be mostly a morning of watching the sun come up but not seeing any deer. I was right. :oops:

Still - a day hunting without success is generally better than a day not hunting...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I think we have all had that kind of hunt at least once. I haven't of course.........

I am a big believer in those little limb lights that look like a garbage bag twisty. Just one on a limb at a critical spot will show you the way to go.

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/up ... egoryID=24