Lyman 310 hand tool and dies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Lyman 310 hand tool and dies

Post by kimwcook »

I did a search and went through the first six pages and didn't see anything relating to the Lyman 310 reloading hand tool and dies. Anyone hear have any experience with them? I want to start loading blackpowder cartridges for my 45-70 Sharps. I don't have a shop at the moment and the handloader would be pretty handy. I already have a RCBS Rockchucker but the wife is getting real tired of me setting it up in the livingroom.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lyman 310 hand tool and dies

Post by rjohns94 »

i have two 310s and they work very well. I also have a lee hand press and I am set to load .357 and 45-70 with them. one of the gun writers years ago had one in his bug out bag along with lead, powder and his .357. that article was why I got one, then three presses for loading by hand. They work well. I was just thinking I need to get 30-30 dies for hand press.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Iam short on space too and use a 310 for 45, 357 they work fine and you can set up and break down easy, pack it all away in a tackle box and the living room it cleaned up and mama is happy. danny
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The rockchucker will last much longer then the wife so not to worry..... :lol: actually was in that predicament at one time and a friend built me a portable stand which I believe someone makes now days.I've fiddled with a set of 310 dies and was going to get help from someone here but got distracted and never got back to them :oops: Not much help but you may want to look at a stand if you haven't already.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

A little reality therapy helps a guy be thankful for what he has.
Thanks guys.
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

i have a lee hand press i have to say it works pretty good
i've reloaded 30-06 rounds at the reange with it i only neck sized but it worked and was not supper difficult to operate
ive also sized 45colt rounds at the range and fully reloaed them i can fit everything i need less relod data and log in a small tool box. dies, 2 cans of powder, bullets, priming tool, primers, scale, brass, even a bore snake it is a tight fit though.
makes for a great day at the range 8)
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Being serious now you may also look at the Lee Loader and Lee case trimmers because no matter what you finally settle on eventually you will need to trim your cases .You can only neck size for so long before your cases get to long.At least that was what moved me on to other things back in the day still wish I had that Lee loader though.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 310 for .38/357 and I never use it to resize the brass any more. I didn't like the way it worked. For resizing I like the Lee hand press and dies much better. But, for seating primers I'd say the 310 is second to none. You can see and feel exactly what's going on.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You need to read Junior's article...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rjohns94 wrote:.......one of the gun writers years ago had one in his bug out bag along with lead, powder and his .357. that article was why I got one.....
I'm pretty sure the article you're referring to was written by Skeeter Skelton. I have that article in a special issue of Shooting Times with articles by Skeeter.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you are correct, it was Skeeter. I went looking for it earlier this am and could not locate it. It was a great article. He used a canvas military bag for his bug out gear if I recall. that would be a good article to get scanned
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rjohns94 wrote:you are correct, it was Skeeter. I went looking for it earlier this am and could not locate it. It was a great article. He used a canvas military bag for his bug out gear if I recall. that would be a good article to get scanned
When I get a chance, I'll dig it out of a box in my shed and scan it. I'm on the way to Los Angeles, CA tomorrow to see our boys and their familes so it'll be a week or so.

Just a note. LEE still makes their LEE Loader in .45-70 so if anyone's thinking of getting one, I'd say you ought to do it as soon as possible. At the rate LEE is dropping various calibers from their LEE Loader line it might not be too long before they drop all of them.

You can still get the Lyman 310 from MidwayUSA.
ED
Yer never too old
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have several sets of 310 dies and both size handles,I found out that I could polish the size dies and they become all most effortless to use.

I have scrounged up shell adaptors for everything I reload for and combined with a 310 Universal decapping die, I decap everything now with a 310 tool, right in the trash can, sure saves a lot of mess on the rockchucker and bench.

Anyone have set of 32-20 310 dies they don't use, I am interested in obtaining a set.

good shooting
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:...Just a note. LEE still makes their LEE Loader in .45-70 so if anyone's thinking of getting one, I'd say you ought to do it as soon as possible. At the rate LEE is dropping various calibers from their LEE Loader line it might not be too long before they drop all of them...
+ 10^10!10

I don't even try to load .45-70 on anything but my Lee Loader.

I prime with a hand prime, but as fast as the Lee Loader is for such a large cartridge, why mess with a press?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you've got a RCBS press, then buy yourself a B&D Workmate and a couple C clamps. You can quickly set up a temporary loading bench and tear it down fast after. The 310 tool will do the job, but a RCBS full sized press will make life easier.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/