Safety question, 375 Win factory ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guninhand
Levergunner

Safety question, 375 Win factory ammo

Post by guninhand »

Hi folks,

I got a box of factory 375 Winchester ammo, 200gr power-point, and now find that the diameter of the flat nose is .175 inch while primer diameter is .209 inch. Is this safe to use in tubular magazines. i.e. a Winchester 375 XTR BB? TIA

Guninhand
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Safety question, 375 Win factory ammo

Post by Griff »

I'd say yes. It take a pointy object to set off a primer. I haven't measured my Hornady 220s in a while, but their nose diameter is smaller than the primer also.

Edit: Oh yea, WELCOME to the Forum, good question.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
guninhand
Levergunner

Post by guninhand »

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome, Griff. Logic dictates Win would have to make it safe for the their own gun, but I wanted to be sure. I don't know of any non-tubular factory repeaters that came out in 375 Win. And tommorrow I'm off for 9 days hunting moose and other critters in Newfoundland :D .

This is not really my first post, I was on the old site before the big crash.

Guninhand
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

As Griff said, they are just fine. You now need to take them to the woods and make meat with them and bring us some pictures and the story.
But in the mean time, welcome to the fire pull up a stump and pour your self a cup.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
guninhand
Levergunner

Post by guninhand »

Great idea DLB, I'l put my camera and lots of batteries in the my duffle bag (yes, that's what I use for most clothes and gear because it takes up the least room that way) right now.

I don't have a moose license, but my sister and her hubby have one each, sis will borrow the .375 :mrgreen:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

One thing to consider is that because the .375 case is rimmed the bullet will not be aligned concentric with the bore of the magazine tube so it is unlikely the bullet tip wil actually rest on the primer in any event.
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

the big flat thing that pushes your primers into their pockets is smaller then the primers also.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

This topic came up a couple of years ago, and no one on here had ever witnessed either first or second hand, a tube mag blowup. I would actually like to see some tests done to prove this theory, but I'm not up to potentially sacrificing one of my rifles :D

Ed