OT- ruger blackhawk leading 2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

OT- ruger blackhawk leading 2

Post by revolverjunkie »

ok i have finally got a handle on the leading issure on my blackhawk after many helpfull posts i followed most if not all the advise
1. sized bullets to chamber throat dia.
2. changed bullet lube
3. used a softer (un-quenched) bullet

:D the diffrence is dramatic there was in my estimation 80-90% less leading over a 50 round day at the range
i belive the minor leading (cleaned right up with a couple passes from a boresnake and a little break free) was due to the bullet still being slightly to hard the bullet alloy i am using is a potluck of about 1:1 linotype and ww with a little leadfree solder to add tin and help with castability. normally with all my bullet loads i just use srait ww but due to my source of ww no longer available i had to "gulp" go to a scap yard to procure more alloy.

on a more enjoyable note my NEI bullet mould arrived today :shock: in a word sublime.
the fit and finish were superb. after the nessicary break in treatment i had the mould up and running
i had the ussual troubles which i seem to have with every bullet mould i buy but a trick here and a good smoking of the cavitys there and it was making some very nice bullets.
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT- ruger blackhawk leading 2

Post by revolverjunkie »

btw the mould was a double cavity 310 cherry a wonderful kieth design casting right at 330 grains the top 2 driving bands were right at 454 and the bottom band was at 455 on EVERY bullet i messured (some 15 of then out of 100) and i could detect almost no out of roundness with my mic maybe .0001 or so.

now the only thing i can think about is loading this bad boy up and puttin some venison and porkhops on the table

in short i am one happy sixgunner :mrgreen:
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- ruger blackhawk leading 2

Post by 1886 »

Glad it worked out for you. You might consider matching the expander button size to the bullet diameter. By this, a harder bullet requires a smaller expander and a softer bullet requires a larger expander. For ex., a softer projectile sized .452 would necessitate an expander sized approx. .449-450" and a hard cast would bullet would need an expander sized approx. .005" smaller than projectile size. The softer bullet is prone to being swage down by a to small expander. Accordingly it does not require as much pressure to properly obdurate. Also one would be using a faster powder with the softer projectile. Faster powders do not require as much neck tension to achieve optimum burn. The opposite is true of harder projectiles and slower powders like H-110. 1886.