OT: Clayton Moore's Stolen Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Clayton Moore's Stolen Guns

Post by Iron_Marshal »

My best friend at the department attended a police conference and a judge was one of the key speakers. The judge related the following story. If I get any of the details incorrect it is my fault entirely...but it still makes a good tale.

Clayton Moore was traveling by plane and he had to check his .45 revolvers in with the baggage to be stored below in the hold. One of the baggage handlers stole the revolvers. He was eventually caught and Clayton Moore was called upon to testify in the natter. Well, Moore was a bit eccentric and showed up in court wearing his Lone Ranger disguise, mask and all. The defense attorney objected and said his client, the baggage thief, had the right to confront his accuser. The judge told the defense attorney that in all of the episodes of the Lone Ranger that he was never unmasked and he was not about to let some two-bit thief do it in his court room. The judge allowed Clayton Moore to testify with his mask on.

I hope I got the details correct folks.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Clayton Moore's Stolen Guns

Post by PaperPatch »

:D
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Actualy, a few years ago I DID see a very old movie with clayton moore in it without his mask! It must have been made prior to getting the lone ranger part in the 30s. It was a low budget gangster movie. I reconised the voice right away, dug into the credits, and sure nuff!

http://b-westerns.com/cmoore2.htm
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

How DARE you call the Lone Ranger "eccentric"! Has anybody here arrested as many bad men as he has? I think not. He was my childhood hero, and was indeed the real Lone Ranger. He arrested many bad guys without blowing holes in them, was a master of disguise, and never insulted a lady. He and Hoppy were the true Knights of the Golden West! I attribute my love of buttermilk to Hopalong, who had the guts to swagger up to a bar of roughnecks and then order the stuff, without a flinch.

Before Kimosabe decided to be a cowboy, he was indeed in many early G-man movies, and more than a few westerns. His distinctive voice, the way that he raises his voice towards the end of a sentence, and one eye that is very slightly closed - these give him away very quickly. I have identified him in several movies where he was not a credited actor. The following link probably has the most complete listing of his credits, even when his name was not on the screen credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0138194/

Oddly enough, and perhaps prophetic of his later career, he played an early role as "Zorro" - in a mask, of course. You might be able to find it on Netflix, since they have an impressive stock of old movies. I don't remember the name of the movie, but I think it was something like "The Mark of Zorro" or "The Revenge of Zorro" or something with "Zorro" in it. / UPDATED: 1949 "The Ghost of Zorro," available online as a VHS - jdef

Hollyweird's offerings, and generally those of most of the networks, no longer suit me as they have gotten more and more offensive, political, tasteless and/or just plain stupid. So I spend most of my boob tube time watching offerings on the Fox cable channel, AMC, the History Channel, and rentals from Netflix, after reading the reviews online.

http://www.netflix.com
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

JohndeFresno wrote:How DARE you call the Lone Ranger "eccentric"! Has anybody here arrested as many bad men as he has? I think not. He was my childhood hero, and was indeed the real Lone Ranger. He arrested many bad guys without blowing holes in them, was a master of disguise, and never insulted a lady. He and Hoppy were the true Knights of the Golden West! I attribute my love of buttermilk to Hopalong, who had the guts to swagger up to a bar of roughnecks and then order the stuff, without a flinch.

Before Kimosabe decided to be a cowboy, he was indeed in many early G-man movies, and more than a few westerns. His distinctive voice, the way that he raises his voice towards the end of a sentence, and one eye that is very slightly closed - these give him away very quickly. I have identified him in several movies where he was not a credited actor. The following link probably has the most complete listing of his credits, even when his name was not on the screen credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0138194/

Oddly enough, and perhaps prophetic of his later career, he played an early role as "Zorro" - in a mask, of course. You might be able to find it on Netflix, since they have an impressive stock of old movies. I don't remember the name of the movie, but I think it was something like "The Mark of Zorro" or "The Revenge of Zorro" or something with "Zorro" in it. / UPDATED: 1949 "The Ghost of Zorro," available online as a VHS - jdef

Hollyweird's offerings, and generally those of most of the networks, no longer suit me as they have gotten more and more offensive, political, tasteless and/or just plain stupid. So I spend most of my boob tube time watching offerings on the Fox cable channel, AMC, the History Channel, and rentals from Netflix, after reading the reviews online.

http://www.netflix.com

The Lone Ranger was and still is my hero. And as for the Judge Bravo! That is just too cool.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hi oh Silver away.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If that story is not true, IT DERNED WELL OUGHT TO BE TRUE!!!!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like many others here, I was destined to love sixguns and leveractions due to most of my childhood heroes being cowboys. Some of the earliest pictures of me have me in a white hat, black mask, with a pair of silver six shooters blasting away at imaginary bad guys! :D
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Jay Silverheels (Tonto) was born in Canada in 1912 and died in 1980. He was the son of a Mohawk chief. His birth name was Harold Smith. He did indeed play in many films. But he will always be remembered as Tonto with the Lone Ranger.

By the way, the Lone Ranger and Tonto broke up after the LR found out why Tonto called him kimosabe. Someone told him it meant chicken s---.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The first 45 rpm record I ever wore out was my Lone Ranger record...Danged if I can remember the name of the Baddy gang leader that ambushed the Rangers...
Edit.. I just remembered! It was the Butch Cavindish gang...lol
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Like many others here, I was destined to love sixguns and leveractions due to most of my childhood heroes being cowboys. Some of the earliest pictures of me have me in a white hat, black mask, with a pair of silver six shooters blasting away at imaginary bad guys! :D

It was OK back then Ysabel, but your wife has told us that here lately it's been getting a little embarassing! :oops:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I heard that Tonto and the Lone Ranger were totally surrounded by hostile Indians one time. The Lone Ranger said to Tonto, "Well Tonto, it looks we are done now!" Tonto replied, What you mean, "We"?
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Doc Hudson wrote:If that story is not true, IT DERNED WELL OUGHT TO BE TRUE!!!!

+1 to that! I wish We had more judges like that. The Lone Ranger,the whole Cartwright clan,SkyKing, Matt Dillon,Roy and Dale and The Duke hisownself (to name but a few) taught a couple of generations of us that honor and loyalty were traits to be admired and emulated. The "heroes" of the present day glorify the opposite behavior and I believe this country could sure benefit from the examples of the good guys of my youth.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Ysabel, don't pay any attention to them'ens.....you keep right on wearin that get-up. We need heros like the LR nowadays more than ever, & tho Tonto isn't here to ride along side you any more, what the hell, I'll be proud to! Seriously tho, The LR was at the top of my list of TV heros.......I admired Clayton Moore! I saw him in those B-movies JohnDeFresno & thanx for your input & when you listen to that theme-song............God, it stirs your soul to the point the tears come, & you want to go & beat George Clooney's butt, don't it?!?! Of course I'm kidding, but I REALLY LOVE that LR theme song. BTW, I heard or read somewhere that the guns were Remingtons.....1875s or 1890s, can't remember which. Kudos to that judge! jd45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You all caught me. I don't have any pictures though - my wife hides the camera whenever I get into that outfit (or some others...).

Here's one of me 20-odd years ago (emphasis on the "odd") doing my best "Outlaw Josey Wales" look.

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

So what is that revolver?..........looks like it might be a .36 caliber 1851 Navy, such as Wild Bill was fond of, but am not sure.......might be another model as well. PLease enlighten us, jd45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jd45 wrote:So what is that revolver?..........looks like it might be a .36 caliber 1851 Navy, such as Wild Bill was fond of, but am not sure.......might be another model as well. PLease enlighten us, jd45
Uberti reproduction of a Colt 1847 "Walker" in .44 caliber. :D Everyone should have one!!! :wink: