Lyman tumbler bit the dust....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Lyman tumbler bit the dust....

Post by Ridgerunner »

Before I chuck this thing, does anyone know of anybody who works on small electic engines any more? I be willing to reasonably compensate them for their efforts. And yes, I contacted Midway USA who referred me to Lyman who basically told me "So solly, Cholly." It is a model 3200 Turbo, if that helps....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Lyman tumbler bit the dust....

Post by Sixgun »

Trash it. I have fixed vibrators before (the ammo kind :D ) and there's a million little parts that never seem like to go back where they are intended to. The cost of the motor is the most expensive thing so just "wing" it. Its like a washing machine, I will fix that until the transmission goes, and then its off to the dump.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

For years i had a Midway tumbler and when the electrical connections kept breaking I sent it back and thay sent me a new, better, model for absolutely nothing. What a deal. :D

I don't understand Lyman's attitude, unless your machine was completely worn out.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

I inquired via e-mail, and they replied in kind. Didn't even offer to check it out. Told them I'd go with Dillon in the future....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If you go new, go with Dillon; they have treated me well
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I had the same experience, the tumbler motor died after about 40 hours of use.

I believe the price for the new motor was $76.00 + shipping.

I removed the Lyman motor, and replaced it with a motor from an ordinary electric fan. All you have to do to make it work is cement a weight on the shaft that is slightly offset. The unbalanced weight spinning is what creates the vibration.

IMO the Lyman motor is no good, the motor from the $20.00 fan is much heavier and stronger. It has a switch with three speed settings which the Lyman doesn't have. It is also quieter and smoother now. I HATED the sound of the Lyman. The only downside is I have to use a second fan, set underneath, to keep it cool. The original has a tiny fan on the end of the shaft to keep airflow going, but I destroyed it getting it off. It was too small to really do the job anyway.

The springs attach to the bowl with hot glue which is easily melted with a hot air gun.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I have been using a Midway tubmler for 15 years and have never had a moments problem from it. Should it go Tango Uniform I will chuck this one in the the trash and order a new one from Midway. I figure that I got my moneys worth out of this one along time ago.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pull the motor out of it, take it to the closest Johnstone Supply and I bet they have a motor that will drop right in where the old one was. Johnstone will probably charge about $10-$12 for a motor.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I had one that died. Took it apart, cleaned the motor up (it was all gummed up with fine dust) and it still works a treat!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

marlinman93 wrote:Pull the motor out of it, take it to the closest Johnstone Supply and I bet they have a motor that will drop right in where the old one was. Johnstone will probably charge about $10-$12 for a motor.
the thing with the Lyman, you can't remove the weight and fan that are on the shaft. They are attached with a piece of metal that is some sort of rivet pounded in. If it could be removed with an allen wrench or something, you could take those parts off and put them on another motor. That offset weight is a custom piece that won't be on a non-Lyman motor. However, it is easy to rig up a new one using JB Weld and a couple of bullets.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
PawPaw
Levergunner

Post by PawPaw »

While we're talking about tumblers, the guys at Harbor Freight have a tumbler I've been looking at. It's about $60.00 and with shipping from the catalog houses, I'm wondering if I'd be better off just carrying that one home.

The link to it is here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93252

I've never used a tumbler to clean brass. What do you guys think?