Irritated with Cabelas Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Irritated with Cabelas Today

Post by Blaine »

We had a professional development class in the conference room at Cabelas in Lacy, Wa today. (Ain't that tough to take? :mrgreen: ) Anyway, after class, how could I not go shopping for awhile. In the gun section, I was looking at a rack of used levers, when I heard a semi-auto shotgun bolt slam shut very close. I looked in the direction of the sound and a Cabelas Employee, Chuck, had a shotgun pointed right at my head about 3 feet away. I resisted saying anything.....I would not have stopped until I got in trouble, probably. What a moron. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Irritated with Cabelas Today

Post by bsaride »

Let the manager know there are serious issues and training is required!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

bsaride wrote:Let the manager know there are serious issues and training is required!
Yep. Did you get a name tag or anything? I think that going back and explaining it to a supervisor of some sort would go a long way.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I could not have resisted saying anything when an ignorant fool points a gun at me.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

simular things have happened to me before, it is unpleasent.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

It happened to me, once...that I was aware of anyway.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think if that had happened to me he would want to quit when I got done.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:I think if that had happened to me he would want to quit when I got done.
Agreed. We all must demand absolute safety around firearms - of ourselves and everyone else. Any incident of unsafe handling has to be immediately and severely addressed. 100% of the time. You can't take back a bullet (or shot) - this is not one of those "I'll do better next time" type of issues. First rules of gun handling are NEVER point a gun at something you are not willing to kill or destroy and that ALL guns are loaded always - even when you know they are not. Follow these two rules (and a few others) and accidents won't happen.

That fella needed "dressed down" hard and on the spot. Manager needed to be called over as well. He might have lost his job - but it would be better than living with accidently blowing a man's head off the next time...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would definitely contact the store manager, and in particular the GUN department manager. I dislike the phrase, but I have "zero tolerance" for that kind of thing - my kids knew better than that when they were eight years old.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

dr walker wrote:I could not have resisted saying anything when an ignorant fool points a gun at me.

Same here. That idiot would have got an ear full. :evil:
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Re: irritated with Cabelas Today

Post by Hobie »

My NCO voice takes over in such situations... I've had a loaded gun pointed at me on a range many times. It "irritates" me, too. Speak up, what's the worst that can happen?

BTW, did you get any goodies?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Re: irritated with Cabelas Today

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:My NCO voice takes over in such situations... I've had a loaded gun pointed at me on a range many times. It "irritates" me, too. Speak up, what's the worst that can happen?

BTW, did you get any goodies?
Funny, I thought Blaine was "irritated"! :wink: :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The word police have struck again!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't have an NCO voice, but I do have a loud attention getting one when I want to use it. And I would have in "that" situation.
There has been more than one occasion where live ammo has gotten into guns on the dealers shelves.
I'd rather make a scene with my comments than a scene with my brains spattered all over the show room.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Irritated is not accurate :mrgreen:

It was best to step away. I'm still more NCO than civilian and I would have got carried away as..um..irritated as I was.... It put a damnper on my shopping attitude :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good thread. I worked my last shift as a newspaper copy editor last night after 25 years of it, and start in the hunting department at Sportsman's Warehouse Tuesday. Huge change (and pay cut!). I've been handling firearms for nearly 50 years (I'm 55), and the one AD I had 30 years ago -- thumb slipped on the hammer of a Model 97 12-gauge -- the barrel was pointed in the right direction. But I will do my best to keep safe handling procedures foremost in my mind as I clear and hand all manner of hand and long guns back and forth over the counter to complete strangers, many of them likely even bigger idiots.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well maybe if you didn't want to cause a scene you could have told the gun dept. mgr that you were intending to buy that ... [ insert name of the most expensive gun in the dept. here] but you were so upset by the behavior you'll need to wait until you can find it somewhere else.

Money always speaks the loudest.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've seen it happen a bunch of times at gun shows. Most recently
this 'tard with a Camp Perry t shirt (obviously just there for the t shirt)
is looking at a Smith revolver and as I'm walking around the end of the table I see him begin to point the thing at eye level at a guy a couple feet in front of me and pull the trigger!

Now I don't have an NCO voice but I can be pretty loud when I want to be. As he's
thumbing back the hammer to do it yet again I VERY loudly asked if he was done yet.
Startled the stuff out of everybody except this pin head. The dealer was kinda dumb struck and as I'm turning around to explain the error of his ways my Dad grabbed me by the shirt and redirected my attention.
I've set up at a ton of shows over the years and am always amazed at the morons out there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I was working as RO one day at the range and we went to a 'cold' line...in other words, all firearms unloaded, magazines out, actions open, and all guns laying on the front bench...with all shooters up and behind the safety line away from the benches, no gun handling allowed.

We verified all the guns were clear and then okayed everyone to go downrange and check their targets. needless to say, when people are downrange there is NO handling of any firearms or activity allowed around the benches.

So I am standing there chatting with another RO...and all of a sudden his 'war face' comes on. I look around and a bench or two away from us is a man, sitting at his bench. The man picks up his Beretta 92 and starts dry firing the gun...aiming at the people downrange working on their targets!

My friend literally launches himself across the bench and rips the gun out of this guys' hand, loudly screaming "No handling of firearms while the line is cold".

Now, I'm speechless at this idiot's reply. I expected him to apologise or mumble somehing about "he didn't know" or something like that.

No, his answer:

"What's the big deal ? I'm not actually shooting them !" (By 'them' he meant the people downrange. He said he was 'practising' since this was the only time he could aim at real pople and pull the trigger.)

Gritting my teeth I politely reiterated the four rules of gun safety and then informed him that he was done shooting for the day.

The guy went ballistic (no pun intended) and started screaming that we had no right to eject him from the range.

At about this time the other shooters were drifting back from the targets and coming back to the firing line. I told him I could let the guy he was 'practising' his aiming on decide weither or not he could stay. At that, he had an about-face in attitude and decided to pack up and leave.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

CaptainFinn wrote:"What's the big deal ? I'm not actually shooting them !" (By 'them' he meant the people downrange. He said he was 'practising' since this was the only time he could aim at real pople and pull the trigger.)
Wow. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I've been there like Tubby.. I know myself well enough to know it's best to not get started.. Good on ya!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
I was the class clown and have always joked around--still do but.............if someone plays with a gun that could hurt me or anyone else, well, they possibly might get a verticle buttstroke :evil: -------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

CaptainFinn wrote:"What's the big deal ? I'm not actually shooting them !" (By 'them' he meant the people downrange. He said he was 'practicing' since this was the only time he could aim at real people and pull the trigger.)
Double wow. :shock: :shock:

I'd say to him, "You're right. I won't kick you off the range until you go retrieve your target ...while the rest of us wait right here." :twisted:
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

revolverjunkie
Levergunner 1.0

Post by revolverjunkie »

i would have done everyone a favor and relived him of a weapon he obviuosly did not understand

some people are just that stupid :roll:
i know that happend to me one time when i was younger
i thought my dad was going to rip that guys head off :shock:
Your friends might get me in the rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe. Tombstone.

when guns are banned there will be two groups with guns the government and outlaws.
I intend to be among the outlaws
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I'm carrying, I'm the most calm and polite person in the world....it does that for ya :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Senior Levergunner

Re: Irritated in Cabelas in the past

Post by 2571 »

Had a middle aged lady put a dbl barrel muzzle right in my chest while her husband and the saleman were trying to impress each other with their respective gun knowledge/ignorance. I said nothing. It would never happen again and I didn't want to deal with any of the three of them.

Same kinda stuff happened to me when I was a cop only other cops should have known better. I did cuss them out but it didn't do any good.

Just forget it. You did the right thing.