your best 45 colt loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: your best 45 colt loads

Post by Griff »

Here's a better shot oof the flame cut:

Have you inspected yours, yet?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

"and has had several hundred thousand rounds thru it"

With that quantity of rounds through it that insignificant mark isn't worth the band width to report it.

Keith developed the 18.5gr of 2400 load for the 45 Colt in balloon head cases in a first generation SA. It didn't destroy the gun. Pressure tests have proven this load runs less than the pressure of a 45 ACP. I believe it to be an excellent top end load for modern Colts and clones in good mechanical condition. And a good middle range load for the Ruger SAs.

I discussed this load with Steve Young after he rebuilt my Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman. He said it was safe to use that load in my IJ.
I haven't done so yet, nor would I make that load a steady diet for a Colt or Clone, but I'm not in the least worried about using it.

The .45 Colt and the Colt SAA may have started life as a black powder round, but the modern guns and cases have evolved far beyond that level.
The guns are not week or fragile, and neither are the cases.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Griff wrote:Have you inspected yours, yet?
Nope, Not that smart just yet. I see thousands of blown up guns because of excessive flame cutting! Both of my 44-40 cattleman have had a few thousands rounds through them and have a good flame cut on both. At least half smokeless and half BP loads for CAS. My 45 cattleman has no cut at all and is feed a steady diet of full BP loads...I said full, 40gr Swiss with a .20 compression topped with a 250gr 190 bullet. My Buckhorn 44 mag I just got so we will see what happens to it down the road.

BTW Elmer blew up his early generation 45 Colt in 1925 due to a 300gr bullet and black powder ground up to the consistency of flour. Never did say where the weak point let loose. Cylinder?, Rear top strap?, front top strap? Are the frames built from aircraft quality 4140 steel or just the barrels?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jack,

That gun did not blow the cylinder. The old many times loaded balloon head case failed and blew off the loading gate.

The one that blew the cylinder and frame was done with the old #80 powder and the 300gr bullet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

J Miller wrote:Jack,

That gun did not blow the cylinder. The old many times loaded balloon head case failed and blew off the loading gate.

The one that blew the cylinder and frame was done with the old #80 powder and the 300gr bullet.

Joe
Ah thanks for the correction.
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I love 9grs. of Unique under a 255 pill.
Them SASS whiners beat me down to 4.5 grs. of CLAYS under a 250.
I fooled 'em and came back with 28grs. of FFg under a 250, boom!smoke!

I do have a problem with this thread though somebody said blow back again, I guess I need to get rid of all these .45 Colt guns(all eight of 'em) because I cannot get any blow back! Need more help I guess...

RichardX :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Richard,

You'll only get blow back from the .45 Colt if you use loads so light you could fire the gun, lay it down then run to the target and catch the bullet.

I've actually bought some nearly that light. It was miserable shooting the few I did. I pulled the rest down and put a reasonable powder charge in them.

Even the cowboy level loads as listed in the manuals has provided sufficient case expansion to seal the chambers.

Joe
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Savvy_Jack,

I don't recall reading that Elmer ground his BP into a flour like consistency, where did you read that please?

Cat
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

J Miller wrote:Jack,

Joe

Catshooter wrote:Savvy_Jack,

I don't recall reading that Elmer ground his BP into a flour like consistency, where did you read that please?

Cat
Book Of The .44 by John Taffin page 63
In 1925, Keith blew the cylinder and top strap on a heavily loaded .45 Colt single action,...
Also notes that
this accident was Keith's first article for American Rifleman which Keith says "of fireing the Forth of July salute with his 45 Colt 5 1/2" SA." Before the article Keith had been using 300gr .458 intended for his 45-90 rifle lever action and with black powder ground to the consistency of flour.