Ugh, rotten bears!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Ugh, rotten bears!

Post by GunnyMack »

Tuesday night the patrolman for our club texted me that a bear tore a screen out of our cabin. Oh great, I know where this is going to go...
Yup sure enough the bear was back yesterday evening, this time it tore siding off to get to the fish food. A 40lb bag is missing. Our patrolman showed up and had a heck of a time chasing it off. He cleaned up as well as he could, went home for some plywood and patched the siding. He lives across the river about 300yds as the crow flies but a 10 minute drive. By the time he was done at the river and got home it was dark and the bear and 2 small cubs were at the house.
So today after we poured 14 yds of crete I went home for a sheet of osb and a bunch of 6d gun nails and off to the club to make bear boards. 12"x8' rips, went to town putting nails through it. I put the boards down along the windows , hopefully the bear gets the point!( pun intended)
Resized_20240912_165444.jpg
20240913_132610.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ugh, rotten bears!

Post by wvfarrier »

A paintball gun to the rump dissuades them effectively.
Or a pepper spray bomb ;-)
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I keep my 870 loaded with rubber buckshot, as high as the bear population is they have become fearless trash can raiding nuisance critters.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Same here, I see em in yard like stray dogs regularly. One tore siding off a house same way last year, about 1/4 mile away. One bit a woman on leg next street over about month ago in her yard. Rubber bullets are a popular item here!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Bears got to eat too and feed their family The problem is there's a shortage of food for them if they had a feeding station way out away from the populated area like they do for deer they would go there instead of around the houses looking for food.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is electric fence helpful...? I use it on our chicken coop for raccoons...

As a side note my son is hunting bighorn sheep this week and is in grizzly country. He's used to black bears, and I asked him the difference. He said the grizzlies are usually much larger, and running into a black bear is like bumping into a large but ageing hippie who's stoned - probably he'll be pretty mellow and get out of your way. He said the grizzly would be more like running into a drunk and belligerent Hell's Angel biker who has a broken whiskey bottle in his hand and thinks you grabbed his girlfriend's butt.

Unfortunately his handgun is a 9mm Glock vs a 10mm, but he's a good shot, uses hard bullets, and is calm and decisive under pressure.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Absolutely correct they need to eat but damaging dwellings is a sure way to get themselves shot. Our F&G don't even take nuisance bear calls, they have no place to take them, they aren't allowed to euthanize them. Just a matter of time before someone gets killed by a bear in NJ!!!

It would probably work Doc but I'm sure one of our club members would get themselves shocked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:13 am .
Is electric fence helpful...? I use it on our chicken coop for raccoons...

As a side note my son is hunting bighorn sheep this week and is in grizzly country. He's used to black bears, and I asked him the difference. He said the grizzlies are usually much larger, and running into a black bear is like bumping into a large but ageing hippie who's stoned - probably he'll be pretty mellow and get out of your way. He said the grizzly would be more like running into a drunk and belligerent Hell's Angel biker who has a broken whiskey bottle in his hand and thinks you grabbed his girlfriend's butt.

Unfortunately his handgun is a 9mm Glock vs a 10mm, but he's a good shot, uses hard bullets, and is calm and decisive under pressure.
a side note, more people are eaten by black bears than brown bears. is this racist?

AND [Shoemaker] carries a 9mm for bear protection and has killed a bear with it when necessary. i think the story is somewhere on this site - - -

grizz
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes, I've known that bear stat for many years, someone needs to tell the bunny huggers about it. There have been a few attacks, none lethal. Most have been the morons trying to get pictures or petting.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:41 pm Yes, I've known that bear stat for many years, someone needs to tell the bunny huggers about it. There have been a few attacks, none lethal. Most have been the morons trying to get pictures or petting.
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/black-be ... tatistics/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... th_America
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think the bottom line for me, would be, I would be less afraid in bear country as long as I had some sort of potent sidearm, then I would be in most urban areas in the United States. In both cases, surviving the encounter is only part of the concern, because in both cases, you face legal repercussions for injuring or killing the thing that was trying to kill you. At least bears don’t usually travel in packs.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

This one is partial to the bird seed in my wife's new feeder with an internal camera. Well ... it was new anyway. Now it's retired.

The first time he brought it down a couple of weeks ago, I told her it was a bear but she said there weren't any tracks and that it was probably a racoon. I told her the bear was wearing slippers ... hence the lack of tracks. She decided I was an idiot ... until he rolled through Wednesday evening before sundown.

Bear with Slippers versus Bird Feeder
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I actually had a bear chewing on the corner of my house, trying in frustration to get a bird feeder on the window . I called F&G they told me I was baiting the bears by having bird feeders. So I told the F&G people that if the bear came through the window I was going to shoot it.
You can't shoot it
Why not if it's in my house?
You just can't
I'm going to kill it
Then you better call the police.

Your right, bears don't leave much sign, they are very light on their feet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back again and now more damage!
20240918_164825.jpg
This time I screwed the nail riddled plywood to the wall also !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, I was surprised to learn that New Jersey produces some huge black bears. I believe the record killed by a hunter a dozen or so years ago topped 800 pounds. That's just a huge blackie.
I am surprised the fish and game folks don't have better advice to give.
My brother near Fort Collins has a miscreant bear in his neighborhood and Colorado F&G issued him rubber bullets and beanbag loads.
They were a huge nuisance when we lived in the mountains of Southern Oregon, breaking limbs off the apple trees and leaving huge piles of scat. But persistent damage to a residential structure is another matter. I'd complain to my state representatives.

Here's a link to an article with a very interesting harvest chart at the bottom. Those boys aren't messing around with mere deer rifles in most cases.
https://alaskablackbearhunts.com/bear-d ... aig-AK.php
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes Bill these bears are a true nuisance here. We do grow em big, they are trash eaters for the most part.
The state is so overwhelmed by the complaints they don't even answer the phone calls. Their hands are tied by the bunny huggers in the state Capitol.
North of me the residents just give them a .22 in the guts so they run off to die a slow lingering painful death. It's not right but when you can't enjoy your own property due to fear , we'll I get it.

When I lived in Trinidad CO, the McDonald's in town had 3 culvert traps in the lot all summer. At least a couple bears a week were caught dumpster diving for Big Mac's.
They are very intelligent, once a food source is found they will return.
This bear is a small sow with 2 small cubs- she is trying to survive but is also teaching her kids bad things!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!