The Sound of Big Radial Engines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Sound of Big Radial Engines

Post by JimT »

I heard them coming over the house as I was out feeding the critters. Through the trees I saw a B-25 heading East out of the Georgetown Airport. It was BEAUTIFUL!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Sound of Big Radial Engines

Post by jeepnik »

There is a group of pilots locally, at least 9, that own AT-6 Texans. They regularly do overflights for special events including missing man flights for deceased aviators.

Having the USS Iowa, literally 14 blocks away, and the ship doing events to commemorate WEII events we see/hear them often. A large cemetery is just slightly further to the north. So, they do missing man flights there. Both bring the aircraft directly over my house.

Occasionally other WEII aircraft appear at events, at a nearby airport named Zamperini Field. Yes, that Zamperini. He was a local kid.

Our generally mild weather makes SoCal a popular place for older aircraft.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

One day I was out for a walk and behind me I heard this airplane coming. Before it got to me I knew what it was. I could hear it clearly, the big V12 of the P51! Love the sound of those also.

I am kinda prejudiced for the radials. I first learned to work on the old Pratt & Whitney R985 radial and was captivated by them.
R985.jpg
985 cubic inches .. 300 to 450 hp depending on the model ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When I hear a radial I run out of the house to look for it. Learned that from Dad. 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Reno air races were the holy grail for engine noise- all those warbirds with throttles to the firewall going by was truly amazing. The P51s, Bearcats, Hawker Sae Fury's and my favorite the Corsair's would shake ya to your toes.
The day the SR71 came low & slow out of the East while the National Anthem was being played is a memory I'll not forget, especially the second pass where halfway across the field he pulled it back, shoved the throttles forward and lit the burner's going out of sight in seconds!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Every summer we have airshows with a mix of B-17s, B-24s, B-25s, and sometimes B-29s that give rides for a price. They typically fly over our valley as it's on the west side of the metro area in the mountains. I always look up to see the lumbering bombers cruising at about 1,500 ft above us. Beautiful sounds and sights.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It could have been this one? I'm at the airshow in Jefferson City, MO today, and it arrived just a while ago.
20240914_111939.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It could be Ted. I could not see it clearly through the trees when it came over. Going away from me, heading East, I could see what it was.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Some of the radials I had experience with over the years:
C7A Caribou at Phu Cat RVN
Mechaniced on KB50 at Biggs AFB TX and Yokota AFB Japan
T28D at Udorn Thailand 1964, that's me in the rear cockpit
EC 121 at McClellan AFB CA, Flight Engineer
My "office" in the EC121, management of four big R3350's and associated systems.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

When I first saw this thread, I believed it was about an early Sherman tank. I think it uses the Continental R975 engine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHXoZyiJ ... wgZW5naW5l
Wiresguy
Levergunner

Post by Wiresguy »

It's kind of in the middle of nowhere in western Minnesota, but well worth the visit if you are in the area:

https://www.fagenfighterswwiimuseum.org

About a 2 hour run for us, but we've been out several times and they keep adding aircraft and memorabilia.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Most every summer I hear the radial engines, look up to see vintage WWII aircraft, most of them bombers of different sorts, flying over my farm enroute to the EAA show in Oshkosh, WI.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

how about the radial thats missing 7 cylinders? :lol:
----- Doug
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I love the sound of piston drive aircraft. I've never been around aviation, but just having planes fly over, the piston driven ones have a certain something that the others do not. Thanks all for sharing.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Question for you guys...what is the #1 main difference between the F6F-5 and the prototype F6F-6? How about the difference between the P-51A and P-51B? THAT one ought to be rather easy. Anyone ever see any pix of a spitfire mkV with a DB605 engine?
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

When I hear a radial I run out of the house to look for it.
Me, too! :D :D 8)

-Stretch
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

While I was growing up, there was an old Ford Tri-Motor that would fly over town once or twice a week taking people out to the Erie Islands. Even then, everyone in sight would stop and watch it pass by.
Good stuff!
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

LeverGunner wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:24 pm I love the sound of piston drive aircraft. I've never been around aviation, but just having planes fly over, the piston driven ones have a certain something that the others do not. Thanks all for sharing.
I go outside for radial engines too. There is an A-26 that flies by sometimes. It's music!

Dad said that if God wanted flat engines He would have built them that way. Dad flew in Costa Rica for a while, a Ford Tri and a single engine plane. He had a monkey for a copilot. Can't fly with a monkey on the yoke any more . . . He said that a word in one village that was perfectly OK could get you killed in a village 10 minutes away by air, two days by donkey.