Well I quit my job and took a break before I start the new one.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Well I quit my job and took a break before I start the new one.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I really didn’t know if or how many of my clients would follow me.

But it appears that we are greatly blessed as each client I asked is making the transition.

This is a wonderful opportunity and I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

But I woke up Friday morning with no work to do as my two weeks notice expired.

It was weird not to be busy!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Well I quit my job and took a break before I start the new one.

Post by Walt »

Scott, I meant to ask how you were doing with your new job but you beat me to it. I don't know how much time off you'll take before the new one begins but make the most of it! Best of luck to you.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Scott, I don't know your circumstances in any depth, but from what I've learned in my own, since 2016 when I had to retire from, all of sudden health problems all at once along with personal problems heaped on top? You done said the key word sounds to me like? Opportunity! When A Child of God, finds himself in like circumstances, you can rest assured, God has a plan! And as hard as it is to not panic from sudden "foreign life circumstances out of our control", God will not fail Him who by blind faith follows Him! Proverbs 3:5-6!
After I'd verbally bragged to guys at work, not long before it all hit me "I'm gonna work until I'm 75!" Providence showed me different! But Opportunity sure showed up at just right time afterwards! Wonder who's in charge of true Providence? But time & patience don't come easy, but whom uses God's Word, He never fails! But my plan wasn't His Plan, but His Plan was The Best Plan!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, I hope you can get in plenty of shooting, loading and hunting during your hiatus. It is a glorious season of the year.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Enjoy yourself. Well deserved break I'm sure.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It can be boring and somewhat traumatic with a sudden change in habits…….i never had an an extra minute in my life when I was working and I only worked 40 hours/5 days. Scott, your brain will naturally slow down and you’ll be better for it.

When I retired in 2016 I started to get the heebie-jeebies with so much extra time then I looked at the life of a prisoner in prison..a 6x9 and eventually they become accustomed to it. I was very determined NOT to work again as most people get under my skin….so I thought about the prisoners again and it was like a light switch.

Anything is better than dealing with people and today I can spend the whole day working for myself around the house and property, doing what I want to do when I want to do it……..and so it goes——006

The more people and material items in your life, the more aggravation……I consolidated my life with my immediate family and my two brothers, Winchester and Colt…and my 3 cousins, Marlin, Ruger, and Remington……sometimes my LGBTQ bi sexual buddies Smith & Wesson show up.
1890 Colt Cavalry 90% Condition…100% Original
Gold Star Letter From Kopec. One of the Finest Known
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rarely had the ability to take time off between switching jobs as it seemed we always needed a steady income. But way back in 1989 I got caught up in a layoff and as part of that I got a small severance package. I had an offer to go to another job, so I called the employer and asked if they'd mind if I took my "vacation" before accepting their offer? They were fine with it, so I took the longest vacation I'd ever taken; 3 weeks!
I spent the first few days just relaxing around the house. Then went and did some fun stuff with the family, and finally some fun stuff just by myself. That was the most fun I'd ever had away from work until I retired! But it also helped me know I wouldn't be bored when I retired 21 years later! I worked those last 21 years all for the company that asked me to join them, and although I never had another long vacation, I did enjoy those last years the most out of all my work career.
I sincerely hope you enjoy the time off, but also enjoy the new direction you've chosen to take!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Best of luck with everything, Scott!

Time off like that is a rarity in this world. I've done it a couple times and never got bored or had a lack of anything to do.
I always have a project to start or finish. Enjoy the time off, it will pass far more quickly than you would think!
:D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Enjoying Port Aransas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent!

I thought I might have some "time on the beach" (in between jobs - not a real beach) when my employer eliminated my role at the end of 2016, but they kept extending it, reversed the job elimination, and I never got a break. Not that I'm complaining; Y2K had just started college and though we saved, you can never save enough. Plus my pension would have got a heck of a ding. Take advantage of the time to recharge and slow down. Work will come fast and furious soon enough!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

4 days at Port A and I’ll be back on the loading bench.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Always wanted to toss flies at redfish and speckled trout down around Port Aransas. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Clients (or in my case, 'patients') will follow you through deep mud and muck and foul weather and so on, if you have always treated them fairly and honestly. That is generally so lacking in the health care professions, that patients crave dealing with someone who will be up front with them, know stuff, but also admit when they don't know something (and will find it out or find someone who does know), and who actually cares.

I'm betting that it is similar in other occupations as well. Integrity wins in the long run.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My clients often become very good friends.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:18 am My clients often become very good friends.
Yeah it's funny - I was talking to a woman in her 50's who's been my patient since I started practice (38 years ago). I told her I knew her better than my sister, and she seemed surprised. My sister is ten years older, so moved off to college when I was 8 years old, and hasn't been 'back' other than for weddings and funerals since, and I'm not a FaceBook person or big telephone or letter-writer, so although we keep in touch, it isn't that detailed. On the other hand, with the patient, she started with me in her teens, and I did her sports physicals, first Pap, helped her deal with college stress, bad boyfriends, newlywed stress, pregnancies, raising kids, job changes, parent's death, sister's severe illness, a child's severe injury, menopauseal libido changes, diabetes, breast cancer, and husband's health issues. FAR more in-depth conversations on those issues than with my sibling...!

It is awkward when a 'friend' transitions to a patient, but the other way around usually is an almost natural evolution of the relationship, and one reason patients with long-term family physicians highly value and trust those physicians. Hopefully we do our job and earn that trust.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Looks like the hurricane passed us by.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Congratulations and continued good luck.
It is not the critic who counts
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Best of luck to you sir.
Taking some time is the best thing you could have done IMO.
I have only worked 3 days a week for the last several years, and will continue this schedule till I retire in 3 more.
I have watched too many work all the time for their whole life, only to die as soon as they retire. Or worse yet, sit in bewilderment because all they know is work.
I have what I need. Not much by most peoples standards, but more than I ever thought I would. I have a wonderful family, a few good friends, and plenty to do.I don't worry much about money. It's basically worthless anyway. And they will keep finding new ways to take it from you anyway.
Enjoy your break. Most importantly, keep taking them. No amount of money is worth the lost time with loved ones. Life is too short to work to support the government.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I take breaks all the time... tho' I really shouldn't. Glad you're enjoying yours. They are all too often too few, and too far between!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wiresguy
Levergunner

Post by Wiresguy »

Congratulations! Prayer and patience work. Enjoy your time off and I think you will get to work in your new position feeling a lot less stress.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Wiresguy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:31 pm Congratulations! Prayer and patience work. Enjoy your time off and I think you will get to work in your new position feeling a lot less stress.
Thank you. I’m betting that you are right.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I'm doing similar Scott, about to career change and was considering working right to the change but then realised I didn't have to and could take a break and also do some relax paced training for the new career. I felt like I should be a lot busier in the interim and had this strange gulf inside me. I gradually worked out this foreign sensation was actually relaxation. If you feel anything similar my suggestion is enjoy it, a lot. ; )
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

We leave the island this morning. Can’t wait to sleep in my own bed.

Told me a few days of temptation but I didn’t open a laptop.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:55 am I really didn’t know if or how many of my clients would follow me.

But it appears that we are greatly blessed as each client I asked is making the transition.

This is a wonderful opportunity and I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

But I woke up Friday morning with no work to do as my two weeks notice expired.

It was weird not to be busy!
Good luck in this next chapter.

I too am in the process of starting a completely new business from what I have done the last 20 years and the transition is something that has been weighing heavy on my mind. Change can be hard but it seems like you will transition just fine.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:17 pm Looks like the hurricane passed us by.
We took a direct hit here in Louisiana. Overall not bad though. Power was out for almost 16 hours. No damage to the house or any of the livestock.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:17 pm Looks like the hurricane passed us by.
Excellent!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I start on Monday but the clients are already calling. Looks like this will work out well.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Excellent!

When you're good at what you do and treat them well the next time they need what you provide, you'll be first on their list to call.
I still get calls from customers I had years ago needing help with an insurance claim. As a staff adjuster now, I can't write anything for them, but I can help with stubborn adjusters and the biggie ins. companies.

I was having a difficult time finding a decent divorce lawyer until I remembered a friend's wife worked for a large personal injury firm. She ran my request up the food chain there and sent me the "Big Boss' " pick for family law.
This lady has been outstanding and makes me feel like I'm her only client and really cares about putting my interests before anything else.
Her summer intern made going to her office a whole lot easier too. Tall, thin redhead with some of the shortest skirts I've seen in quite awhile. Stunning, but I'd have to throw that one back for being way too young for this Old Dog in training. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"