Winchester 1886 45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 1886 45/70

Post by jstanfield103 »

Guy's I am a lever gun fanatic, but I am really excited. I love the 92 action and have several, but I have been wanting an 1886 in 45/70. I finally bit the dust and bought one off of GunBroker Monday. It should be at my LGS tomorrow (Thursday). I bought the short rifle version. Pictures to come probably this weekend. I could have bought a Marlin 1894 for a lot less but I have a Rossi Rio Grande in 45/70 that is a very good shooter and very happy with that so it definitely was the 1886 time. I need the punishment from that steel butt plate anyway. :)
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1886 45/70

Post by wvfarrier »

Something to keep in mind if its a Miroku. There chambers are built SPECIFICALLY for the original 405 grain projectile from the original design. They are very finicky about bullet profile and length
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

An 1886 is on my wish-list as is an 1895…

….but I didn’t even have a 30-30 until a few years ago…!

I did get a Marlin 1894 in about 1975 though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We expect a range report right away!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jstanfield103 »

Okay guy's
Got my New 1886 Miroku Winchester in and what a beauty she is. Did the things I wanted to her before I even took her out for the first date. Took three rounds to get her on target and then the next 6 rounds were just for fun. Well kind of fun, that steel butt plate was just punishing. Left a sore shoulder and a bruise, so Yesterday my Butt pad came in that I ordered before the gun even arrived at my LGS. I was not sure if I wanted to cut this rifle LOP down because that steel butt plate was beautiful. But after shooting her she kicked even harder that my much lighter Rossi Rio Grande in 45/70. So shooting her made my mind up, she was a little long anyway, I cut the LOP down to 12.25" with the new butt pad and that made the world of difference with the way she felt and the way she shot. I lot more enjoyable to shot her. Very happy with this rifle and it is becoming one of my favorites. One thing after cutting the rebounding hammer spur leg off that I noticed is this action is not smooth like everyone reports. Little clunky and stiff, don't know if it is just breaking her in is needed (I'm sure that is part of it) or that she is over sprung for the rebounding hammer. I will wait and see, but I am feeling that she is over sprung for the rebounding hammer to prevent light strikes down the road. If so I will be looking into a spring kit for her. I would imagine that someone like Wolff would make a kit for the Winchester 1886's.

Anyway she was very good shooter out of the box and very happy with her now that the LOP and butt pad are taken care of. Things done so far.
1. Removed the rebounding hammer leg on the strut.
2. Wrapped the Lever in leather and mink oil it so no rusting problems in the future
3. Put sling swivels on her and a leather sling
4. Cut LOP to 12.5" with a Butt Pad instead of that steel butt plate

One thing that I may still do to her that I do not want to do is drill and tap the fore end cap for the sling swivel stud. I hate to do that but this is one of the few rifles that I have put a Uncle Mikes front sling swivel on the magazine tube with red Loctite and she still walks from recoil. So I may and may not do the sling swivel on the forend cap. Really don't want to and probably just deal with it. Here is a picture before I cut the LOP, better pictures to come when I get the chance, to much rain and had to cut the grass after work yesterday, but still managed to put 5 rounds on steel plates after the grass yesterday.

JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

She is a nice one. You done good.

JBowen
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

all 1886s being produced today are copies of the original design. Even though the Miroku's say Winchester, they are copies and are built in Japan.
I want an 1886 but think I prefer one of the Italian copies, as they do not have the rebounding hammer, and no safety. The originals had neither.
And all the prices are about the same. One of the Italian companies even has a business here in the states.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

oldebear1950 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:47 am all 1886s being produced today are copies of the original design. Even though the Miroku's say Winchester, they are copies and are built in Japan.
I want an 1886 but think I prefer one of the Italian copies, as they do not have the rebounding hammer, and no safety. The originals had neither.
And all the prices are about the same. One of the Italian companies even has a business here in the states.
My Browning Model 1886 is made in Japan and has neither a safety nor a rebounding hammer. Other than the roll stamps it might pass for a Winchester.

ps: all 1911s are copies of the original design too. maybe all firearms are copies of an original design. :)

grizz
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There’s no reason why the new ones cannot have the same throat as the originals…..my originals will 100% functionally feed anything from the 300’s to 500’s. The Miroku’s are the best of the bunch and if I had one I’d have it throated like the way they were intended to…..if your going to spend the money, then go all the way so no matter what you put in there, it’s going to work…….id also stay away from anything made in Italy. The
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1890 Colt Cavalry 90% Condition…100% Original
Gold Star Letter From Kopec. One of the Finest Known
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jstanfield103 »

One thing about the Italian rifles are the soft screws they use. Good rifles but the screws are really soft. I am using 405 grain bullets right now and they are feeding okay, just a little clunky. I can't wait till she is broken in.

One thing is she does really kick with that steel butt plate. I am 5' 5" short/Tall so I like about a 12.5" LOP. I finally just decided to cut the LOP and put a Butt Pad on her. That way I can enjoy the feel of her and the recoil is a lot more enjoyable. She still kicks but does not jar this 62 year old's shoulder near as bad.

Here she is in all her glory now.

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I’m not sure what sort of throat the original Winchesters have, but my Miroku 1886’s 45/70’s essentially have no throat, in fact like most modern levergun rifle chambers. With few exceptions most levergun rifle cartridges (not the pistol cals) have no throat at all.

However a lot of cast designs work in the no throat chamber. Anything with a wide front driving band may have trouble. The way around that is to use a Lee FCD and crimp the bullet in place where it feeds and cycles properly.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

i wish Miroku would go back to that version, no rebounding hammer and no safety, made like the originals
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Great looking rifle congratulations! I've had itch for a new one in 45-90, buy I hate put that kinda money in another rifle. But if Sixgun reaffirms the new ones quality as best of best, that's adding to my itch! Idk, either the short rifle or Carbine!
I like the 22" barrel on the SRC, and sliding rear sight, plus the the butt design! I can add my leather butt cover with leather shims, get my needed LOP, shoot comfortably. I'd distribute lead all over these mountains with one!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You prolly know this but the crescent butt plate requires a different hold than shotgun style. It sits on the upper arm and the barrel points more parallel to your chest.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jstanfield103 »

Thanks guy's
The sliding rear sights on the two carbines I have I took off mine and replaced that with a Marbles Bullseye sight. I believe on this rifle I'm going to leave the traditional buckhorn on her. First rifle I've done that with. Tycer thanks, but with my body size being only 5'5" I don't think it would have mattered either way. I have to adjust all my rifles LOP to 12.5" so it did not bother me to have to cut this one down and put the pad on it. Thanks for the proper way advice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like the mods !

I also hate getting thumped by a crescent buttplate and am short enough that i appreciate a shorter LOP too
----- Doug
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jstanfield103 »

streetstar
Thank you.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

J , what did you use to cut the stock ? I might shorten my Henry single shot.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jstanfield103
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have and old fashion miter saw that I have cut several rifles down with. I tape the stock up really well and go light and slow so I do not get chips on the bottom side of the wood when cutting. If possible flip it over half way the just sand flat on a belt sander to even it back up (which I very seldom have done). Just go slow and easy, don't force the blade.

Here is my Henry 44 mag cut down to 12.5" LOP