Redfield Receiver Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Redfield Receiver Sight

Post by Hawkins »

Hi all, I have this steel Redfield aperture sight (don't know the model number) mounted on a sporterized '96 Mauser. The silver scale with the hash marks is attached to the sight stem and moves up and down with it as you adjust elevation via the large screw on top. The plate with the pointers that covers the scale is a separate piece held on by the small screw on the right.

My question is--I can't adjust the elevation without loosening the plate to allow the stem to move. That of course also allows the plate to move, so you no longer have a fixed point to judge the elevation changes. Is it supposed to work that way? I've had the sight apart, but I'm not sure if the plate is just binding where it shouldn't, or if it's more complicated.

I've worked out how much each click changes point of impact, but it would still be nice to reference the scale in case I lose track.

It's not a lever gun, but it seems like some folks here know quite a bit about some of the older sights. Thanks!
Redfield.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redfield Receiver Sight

Post by marlinman93 »

Pull the plate and put a thin shim under the side that has the screw. I use aluminum pop cans and cut them with scissors. Punch the hole with a drill bit first, and then cut around the hole to make the shim. Should give enough clearance to not need to loosen it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

And make sure the other mounting screw behind the staff is not causing some interference. Make sure it's the correct screw and not sitting proud as if it is when you tighten the outside screw it might bind the staff and not allow it to move. Your outside screw does not look quite correct to me as most screws fit in a countersunk hole and were flush or below the surface.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

A second look tells me I was wrong about the visible screw, it is likely the correct one.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Thank you all for the suggestions! I took it apart again and there was a small burr around one of the screw holes, but smoothing it down didn't fix it. So, then I put in the shim under the plate, which gave just enough clearance for it to work correctly. Thanks again!!