Winchester 92 trapper takedown (Japanese)?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 92 trapper takedown (Japanese)?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

These guns look really well made (in spite of the tang safety).

Has anyone played with one enough to evaluate one?
pinefd
Levergunner

Re: Winchester 92 trapper takedown (Japanese)?

Post by pinefd »

I've had one (in .357 Mag.) for a couple of years, and although I don't shoot it much, I find it to be a great, high quality, little gun. Fit and finish, and especially the wood, is outstanding. I haven't tried shooting it beyond 50 yards, but it does quite well up to that distance. The takedown aspect of it is very stiff, but doable with some effort. Here it is pictured with my Winchester/Miroku 1894, chambered in 38-55, another great gun:

Frank
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I shot a deer with the 94 Trapper with the large loop. I found the loop had too much slop for my hands for working the lever and didnt care for the 16" barrel, it threw off the sights for me and made me shoot higher than I thought my point of aim was if I recall correctly. I prefer a standard carbine, but they are definitely cool looking guns.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Japanese Winchesters are decent looking solid copies of a rare and expensive version of Winchester 1892. Nice handy design.
I'm an 1892 snob though so I don't like the tang safety , not a fan of the heavily stamped barrel markings, Some other subtle cosmetics are slightly off to the original.

I just wish as expensive they are they would be exact copies .
I would love to go to one of those shot shows and go to their booth and point out the cosmetic differences but it probably wouldn't matter.

It's a shame that Winchester is no longer made here in the United States. :cry:
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My only complaint with Miroku is the chambers. Every single one I have ever shot in a variety of different calibers had very short chambers. They build them for one specific bullet profile and length so that nothing else works. My 45 colt, 45-70 and 357 all required touch up with a finishing reamer as Winchester says they are "in spec"
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't have a Miroku '92 but I have a 73 in .45 Colt.

It's an outstanding shooter and functions perfectly.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the responses Gentlemen!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Turnbull's custom finished 1892 has bone charcoal color case .No tang safety ,special markings . Finer finished all around.
About 1k higher than Standard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pinefd
Levergunner

Post by pinefd »

Pat C wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:55 pm Turnbull's custom finished 1892 has bone charcoal color case .No tang safety ,special markings . Finer finished all around.
About 1k higher than Standard.
Yes, beautiful guns. I have one of those in a takedown model with a 24" octagonal barrel, chambered in .357 Mag. I really need to try and take a nice photo of that gun, together with my Turnbull finished Colt SAA. I've kinda been waiting until I have a chance to hand make a one piece figured walnut grip for the SAA, but since that will likely take another year to come to fruition, I may need to take that photo sooner.

Frank
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I really like my Turnbull finished and safety converted 1892 in 44 Magnum. The takedown feature I'm not so sure about. I have a friend that asked some of the folks at Turnbull about it, and he was told it's more of a novalty and if you take it down a lot it'll quickly become loose. I've taken mine down a few times, but I don't do so on a regular basis. Honestly, I'd probably have bought a solid frame gun if it was an option, but this one was a gift.

The workmanship of the gun is very nice though, as is that of the 1886 Miroku made Winchester I have. The latter has the safety and I do not care for it. Regarding the former, I've not done much in the way of accuracy testing or load development, as I haven't had much time yet. It will not cycle the RCBS 44-250-K or the 44-240-SWC, which is a disappointment to me, especially the latter. They both cycle without issue in 44 Special brass though.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LeverGunner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:11 am I really like my Turnbull finished and safety converted 1892 in 44 Magnum. The takedown feature I'm not so sure about. I have a friend that asked some of the folks at Turnbull about it, and he was told it's more of a novalty and if you take it down a lot it'll quickly become loose. I've taken mine down a few times, but I don't do so on a regular basis. Honestly, I'd probably have bought a solid frame gun if it was an option, but this one was a gift.

The workmanship of the gun is very nice though, as is that of the 1886 Miroku made Winchester I have. The latter has the safety and I do not care for it. Regarding the former, I've not done much in the way of accuracy testing or load development, as I haven't had much time yet. It will not cycle the RCBS 44-250-K or the 44-240-SWC, which is a disappointment to me, especially the latter. They both cycle without issue in 44 Special brass though.
THAT IS AWESOME!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

LeverGunner wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:11 am I really like my Turnbull finished and safety converted 1892 in 44 Magnum. The takedown feature I'm not so sure about. I have a friend that asked some of the folks at Turnbull about it, and he was told it's more of a novalty and if you take it down a lot it'll quickly become loose. I've taken mine down a few times, but I don't do so on a regular basis. Honestly, I'd probably have bought a solid frame gun if it was an option, but this one was a gift.

That’s gorgeous!!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Turnbull 1892 is top tear , no tang safety better finishes ,wood etc. But at $1K higher than standard Jap Winchester.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Somebody dug deep in the wood pile for that stock blank. Super nice.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Thanks all. My stock is the V/VI walnut that Winchester puts on this model, but it's a bit nicer than some of the others I've seen. Sara Turnbull was gracious enough to take pictures of all the guns they had in stock so could I choose between them. It was the standard dark color that Winchester puts on these guns before Turnbull refinished it, but of course I could tell that the wood was spectacular. I really like the red stain.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Seems like it should have a saddle ring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

That would be easy enough to change , you can get the "No harm" hammer screws with saddle rings on them. Or if you really want you could drill it for the staple type .

Of course short rifles never came with saddle rings unless they were special ordered.

The 1873 and 1892 used the staple ,snug fit and lightly peened inside frame.

1876,1886,1894 all used the 1/4"-30 threaded stud.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:29 am My only complaint with Miroku is the chambers. Every single one I have ever shot in a variety of different calibers had very short chambers. They build them for one specific bullet profile and length so that nothing else works. My 45 colt, 45-70 and 357 all required touch up with a finishing reamer as Winchester says they are "in spec"
I ran into this with the Browning 1886 45/70. My dummy load would not chamber! Eventually I realized that it was the fired, un-resized cartridge without a primer that I used to set the die height in the press. It turns out that Miroku made an exact copy of the saami spec chamber, which was tighter than the Marlins and the H&R 1871 I was shooting. I can't remember if the issue was the rim stopping on the square edge, fixed by trimming the brass, or something else. That rifle is very fond of the old Cast Performance 460 Gr LBT WLNGC.

Makes me wonder about Winchester production, how close to the specs were all those rifle chambers?
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

I had the trapper style .357 take down for several years. I took it apart only once since I was afraid that spinning the magazine tube to take it down would eventually mark it up by the barrel bands.

Ny dealer friend I sold it to still has it. He says he will never take it down because of that issue.

Trooper Joe
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The more I think about it the less likely I am to pick this one up. It’s beautiful, almost too much so for a man like me who shoots the heck out of his guns. Thanks guys!

I’m sticking with my 66 and 73 Winchesters.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Did you see the one in 45-70 in our classified section? Beautiful!