30-30ai vs Antelope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

30-30ai vs Antelope

Post by Don McDowell »

150 yds 1 shot to the back of the head, and dang it all my antelope season is all in and done. :( :D

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D Sweet, But what is that pipe thing on top of your Marlin? :wink:
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Very nice!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cool Don, Take no notice about pipe thing on your gun- I,ve got a pipe thing on mine and it,s just fine :lol:
I thought only super dooper wizz bang lighting fast rounds were any good on prongers nower days :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,
Geeze, just about any bullet to the back of the head would have killed him, but that ai blew all his innards out too. :lol:

Many years ago, really a whole 2+ decades, I hunted javalina in AZ. Got mine on opening morning first day. Totally ruined my hunt. I swore then that no matter if the animal posed for me, I'd never shoot one on opening day again.
But congrats on getting the antelope.

Chuck 100 yd,
That pipe thing is one of them new fangled carrying handles. :wink: That fad started with the M-16.

Joe
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

I ain't jealous...yes I am!

Post by LeverBob »

Because you didn't shoot a Remchesterly .300 superpooper, you have to give the Lope' his skin back :D NYAH...so there!!
I didn't draw a tag this year, but I sure am glad one of us got one.
Please send any extra steaks to me...thank you!

LeverBob
Lope' Poor!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats, yep, I'm famaliar with that letdown as you realize huntin' is over. And not to worry, I have one of them pipe-thingies on my Marlin also. About the only comfortable way to carry one! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done! :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep,here is another Hunter who wants us to really think He killed that critter with a 30-30. :shock: .
We all know We need a modern WIZ-BANG MAGNUM to take any animule Here in the U.S.A.
Thank You for the post and the pictures.... Well Done. Jim.
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Congrats, Nice hunt....tell us about it.. everyone here loves to hear a good hunting story.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

At least you had an antelope season! :wink: I think it turned out well!

Tell us, how hard is it find them during the season? I know when I was out there there were 3 within 80 yards of the welcome center parking lot in Cheyenne. Saw them all along the route to Cody.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

This one wasn't much of a hunt, more of a shoot.
Them pipe thingy's is pretty handy, and besides using one of them ol short range levergun things, the pipe thingy is one of them elcheapo 4x Tasco's that's no good, its been on this rifle about 5 years and was on another one about 10 before that, why I spect the guts to fall plumb out of it one of these days. :D

Hobie you need to get a load for that 76 ironed out and come on out, we'll get you with in shootin distance of one.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Don,

Well done sir. That is a fine looking goat you got there. I hope to have one next year, I have been putting in for the Wyoming draw for the last three years without sucess.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is an optically enhanced aperture sight. Too modern for some to appreciate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We went up into Yellowstone country back in August and spent a few nites in Cody,don't reckon we ever looked out the window of the truck without seeing lopes somewhere in our view.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Boy that is one skinny antelope! :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Things are a bit slow here so now here's the reest of the sTory....

We had went up to check the cows and on the way back to the house noticed this buck out in the neighbors wheat stubble. We had also noticed another neighbors soninlaw ramming around on their place, so figured he was trying his hand at antelope shooting again.
Sort of thought something funny about this buck, he looked to be favoring a hind leg. Checking him out in the binoculars it was looking like the other neighbors SIL was up to his usual fantastic marksmanship, it appearred the left rear foot was damaged, and it looked to be fresh as there was plenty of orangish red color where the hoof should be.
I wasn't going to shoot him, but Carol kept saying we better, and if she had a license she would of shot him by now......
So I gets out of the pickup and worked around for a better angle on him, as I got into a kneeling position he started to hobbling away , well I says I'm not wanting to do an Illinois heart shot on him , but I'll bet I can take him in the back of the head.
Here's what was the matter with his foot.
[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... atfoot.jpg[/img]

Little bugger had got hisself tangled in some roundbale twine somewhere along the line.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It,s coming out now- whos been tethering game to make it easier then.............? tut tut.
Well done, you did the right thing.
I remember shooting a roe doe that was skin and bone, she was old and had lost all her teeth. When I showed her to my mates they all laughed and wanted to know what I had done with it,s zimmer frame :lol: They still mention it to this day.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nath one feller told me this morning after looking at that hoof that it surely was a mercy killing.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Good shootin'!

I remember an article by Ross Seyfried where he says that about the worst thing that can happen in the first day or two of a week-long elk hunt is to kill an elk. :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: Craig the only way shooting your elk in the first day or two of the hunt could be a bad thing was if a person just stolidly refuses to move from elk shooter wannabe to successful elk hunter. :?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

You mean you actually hunt them? All I would need to do is drive the one mile from my shop to my house at the speed limit (65) after dark. I could get 10 or 12 a year and don't need a gun to do it. :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Hehehe and some folks think them Northfork bullets is expensive, they ain't nuthin compared to the price of replacing all the plastic on the front end of a vehicle nowdays. :lol: